John Carmack talks next gen consoles at Quakecon 2013 keynote

Why can we only get a secure sandbox for applications if we pay through the nose for it? I've paid for windows, I'd like it to have a secure environment for third party applications without Microsoft playing a gatekeeper.

you want a sandbox free with windows, but you dont want it to be made by Microsoft ?

Why can we only get a secure sandbox for applications if we pay through the nose for it? I've paid for windows, I'd like it to have a secure environment for third party applications without Microsoft playing a gatekeeper.

Google does everything with Android how Microsoft should be doing it ... minus the open source thing the Android App model is how Microsoft would have done it in the old days. If Microsoft doesn't provide an alternative which preserves the strong points of Windows all they will become is a second string Apple ... and the world doesn't need or want that.

WHAT?

you want a sandbox free with windows, but you dont want it to be made by Microsoft ?
The sandbox and the appstore are not joined at the hip ... just because you have the second doesn't mean you can't still allow sideloading with the user still being able to see and allow the application's list of permissions.

PS. capability based security systems predate the mobile OS's by decades ... this should have been in Windows a long fucking time ago.

I'd like it to have a secure environment for third party applications

Google does everything with Android how Microsoft should be doing it ... minus the open source thing the Android App model is how Microsoft would have done it in the old days.

Android? secure? LOL.

I don't get the mfa hate, why is it so bad to want permissions outside of metro/windows store?

Back