PS3 Super Slim and pricing revealed

So he's talking about the rating of the power supply isn't he? Down from 250W to 190W. The actual power consumption of the console I assume it still <90W or whatever.

I'm willing to bet 190 euro on it.

So he's talking about the rating of the power supply isn't he? Down from 250W to 190W. The actual power consumption of the console I assume it still <90W or whatever.
Im pretty certain, except those arent even Watts but VA which is generally not the same :smile:

Personally I don't understand why people think it's ugly...

Looks fine to me. Price is another matter though. I was hoping for some competition because I would have loved to get another 360 this year at a lower price. Don't see that happening now.

Tommy McClain

I think Sony's just announced Day 1 PSN goes a long way to solving the mystery of why there was no price drop.

I think Sony's just announced Day 1 PSN goes a long way to solving the mystery of why there was no price drop.

Really? I hadn't heard about that. That's cool. Another part that had already hinted at something similar was that apparently the new Slim does not have an RRP set by Sony.

Actually, the CECH-3000B Slim used a 200/210W PSU so we're probably just seeing an optimization of the shell for the 40/45nm chips (and perhaps optimization of the process node and other chips on the board, but who knows).

I suspect they simply had a large order of 250W PSUs that they continued to use throughout the 2xxx series even after they moved to 40nm RSX.

Really? I hadn't heard about that. That's cool. Another part that had already hinted at something similar was that apparently the new Slim does not have an RRP set by Sony.

as i understand consoles never do in Europe, which is what that applied too. nothing new.

In that case it was dumb, price drop would have had much bigger effect on PS3 sales than "day 1". But anyways I dont think that was it, in fact I'm sure. I'm sure wholesale margins are set in stone and dont change much. Sony wont be in the retailer charity business and console hardware will never be about retailer margin.

Apparently sold out on day one through Amazon... But didn't make it passed 40 in the charts so I guess that performance was down to low stock numbers?

i think with the price increase this is going to hurt sony. I'd wager alot of people with ps3 fats will move over but slim owners wont.

Holiday i'd put wii u > xbox >ps . I'm expecting a xbox price drop next month

What a pitty - I would have bought one of those if it weren't for the very cheapish-top-loading bluray unit. I personally love the normal slim unit - it looks perfect sitting next to my high-end hifi equipment, but it's just a bit too noisy, especially when playing certain games. It would have been great to have a newer revision that uses less power and produces less heat.

i think with the price increase this is going to hurt sony. I'd wager alot of people with ps3 fats will move over but slim owners wont.

Holiday i'd put wii u > xbox >ps . I'm expecting a xbox price drop next month

wii u can only win if they have supply. which i doubt.

What a pitty - I would have bought one of those if it weren't for the very cheapish-top-loading bluray unit. I personally love the normal slim unit - it looks perfect sitting next to my high-end hifi equipment, but it's just a bit too noisy, especially when playing certain games. It would have been great to have a newer revision that uses less power and produces less heat.
You just earned yourself some evil looks from a phat user :LOL:
im desperately waiting for some die shrinks and ideally price reduction... ideally a hdd less sku.
Regarding looks, I pretty much gave up to see a design ala (launch) PS2 again, not much difference if your console looks like a foreman grill or a 80s radio clock

I still love the way the phat looks, really styllish. The Slim is still ok though, quite unobtrusive which is cool too. I'll reserve judgement for this new one until I've seen it in person.

Anyone here who knows if the "bug" of the old "Slim", which is described over there for example:

Digital Foundry said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-hdmi?page=3

[...]

For its part, PlayStation 3 appears to output the framebuffer in exactly the way that developers create it. However, with the advent of the PlayStation 3 Slim, Sony decided to change things around a bit with the hardware make-up of the HDMI interface and this has resulted in a curious side-effect.

DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD audio bitstreaming capabilities were added to the HDMI output, and Bravia Link functionality was also included. This came about via a new HDMI controller chip supplied by Panasonic, which appears to have the unfortunate side effect of adding a slight noise to the video output - something we can only assume is a bug in the design.

Thankfully it's imperceptible to the human eye, but our HDMI cable hash check would've been a complete non-starter if we'd used the Slim to carry out the tests. It's also the reason we don't use the Slim for performance analysis tests, as unique frame-counting requires the noise to be filtered out. We implemented a fix pretty quickly, but for the sake of precision and ease of use, we simply moved back to the noise-free output of the original "fat" PS3.

[...]

has been resolved with the new "Super Slim"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect we'll find out soon enough when Digital Foundry posts a follow up on their original article, where they also mention in the follow up they'll do actual measuring like power use etc.

Back