Cliff Bleszinski:"I'll never make another disc based game" The end of video game CDs?

I would very much like the end of magazine-exclusive reveals.
Well, sometimes that can make for very special situations. I can recall that years ago a very imaginative guy kind of became famous -and made the forums where he posted kinda famous too- because he bought day one an issue of a local magazine which featured an article of the new Zelda for the Gamecube, which was a scoop worldwide.

He innocently decided to scan the photos and start a thread on the game's first news. He made into the news everywhere in the world, people registered on that forum just to comment, with hilarious consequences in some cases... It was totally unexpected.
If your Chinese zodiac creature matches up, sure!
:LOL: huah huah, still... he doesn't even appear in the Celtic zodiac. I am either a Wolf or a Hawk -my mother says I was born November 27th, yet my official ID card says November 17th.

tumblr_n00rvgyNau1to0vxao1_500.png

I am no big Cliffy B fan, he comes over as a guy trying way to hard to be cool :)

But what I get from this, is that the old/current model of making a game and release it on disc to the players is not "the right" way. He wants to make something, release early, get feedback and release more + tune. Basically iterate his game and getting input during the development process.
Then a disc distribution model will not work.

You do see this with Kickstarter game projects, people pay more and get access to alpha/beta testing etc.

So basically he wants to move on to a new style of creation/development and distribution.

Big talk for a guy who was all for the "old way" less than 12 months ago, even on the back of the consumer. What a loon trying to convince people he's suddenly wanting to be more engaged with the gaming community?

But yet steam is almost universally loved, that's pretty much the counter.

We all know the arguments on why steam is "loved", it doesn't change the fact that it's essentially the same problems we are facing with Steam that we do with other DD platforms.

Steam got where it is with lots of hard work keeping it's customers happy. They are essentially avoiding doing anything "evil".

EA is EA, i would not let them hold my coke or cola.

Ubisoft is imho earning points by backtracking on their old silly evil self, but still got plenty of work to do.

These 3 DD platforms are all on the PC, where if they ever go down, you could simply decide to download them yourself from alternative DRM free providers. I don't know how it would work legally, but morally i think it's a clear cut case.

I actually think that the PS3 and 360 Network will be alive for a longer time than i feared to begin with, i would not be surprised if it still runs in 10 years and i can still download my games, but i doubt i can do it in 20 or 30. And in that case there is no alternative that can provide the games, at all...

My plastic discs still work, online, offline and some of them are very old.

I'm not sure a DD platform can qualify as such if they only carry their own products.

We all know the arguments on why steam is "loved", it doesn't change the fact that it's essentially the same problems we are facing with Steam that we do with other DD platforms.

Steam got where it is with lots of hard work keeping it's customers happy. They are essentially avoiding doing anything "evil".

Debatable...they actually pop up a spam pop up advertisement when I close steam and such, I am sure that would be considered outrageous spam if a few other companies did it (Origin doesn't). Still fundamentally the point is it's a DD service with all those caveats,

And the basically said to customers "Agree not to take us to court or we will take all your purchased games from you"

Debatable...they actually pop up a spam pop up advertisement when I close steam and such, I am sure that would be considered outrageous spam if a few other companies did it (Origin doesn't). Still fundamentally the point is it's a DD service with all those caveats,

That popup of todays game sales isn't on close, it appears when you close a game or load Steam not on startup. It looks like on close to you because it might be sitting behind the main screen.

And the basically said to customers "Agree not to take us to court or we will take all your purchased games from you"

All the big companies are trying that nowadays. They are all including opt out of class action lawsuits on agree of terms. Valve isn't anyone particularly nasty on the legal front. Companies like Apple which so many people seem to love are much worse.

Back