Xbox One Slim

dobwal

Legend
https://www.petri.com/microsofts-2016-more-hardware-software-and-cloud

The Xbox may also receive an update next year, rumors of an Xbox slim style device picked up late 2015. I have heard from internal sources that the company is considering plans for a lightweight Xbox One that may only be for Windows store games and would compete with the Apple TV, but it’s not clear if these plans have been scrapped. A similar device was rumored around the initial Xbox One launch and those plans were put on hold but this device is said to be from a similar vein. If this device does materialize, it will not launch until the second half of the year and have a much lower price-point than the Xbox One.

Can tell this guy doesn't really cover xbox1 or consoles in general. If MS released a XB super slim its most prominent features would probably be as an extender (local game streaming) and streaming movies, not the ability to play Windows store games (who would buy something primarily for that functionality).

Unless, the MS has something really big planned for the Windows store and its game library and MS wants to release a remote gaming service along with a lightweight ARM based Xbox. Nevertheless the reporter is missing some very pertinent details that makes a slim down XB look like a non starter from the get go.

Last edited:
Petri and Thurrot have been following Microsoft for a long time and Thurrot is a huge xbox fan. Thurrot has been talking about a new type of media center coming down the pipe and the stuff on the xbox one is just the start

Well an STB was rumoured before XB1 launched. The idea has probably been doing the rounds at MS for ages. And if Sony can have a crack with a fairly pointless PSTV device, MS should be able to put together a pretty compelling Windows-based dongle.

None of these types of devices (Sony's, Amazon's, Google's) have exactly set the world on fire. I don't anticipate anything being different with Microsoft's. Especially considering every TV sold today has "Smart" functionality.

I can access all streaming media straight from my TV and the layout is pretty, functional, and (fairly) quick. Needing to switch to another HDMI is play basic (?) Windows games on my TV definitely doesn't appeal.

So if all of my streaming media works straight from my TV and if I want to play games, I switch to either my WiiU or my PS4, what does this device offer me that I cannot already do both more easily and probably with much more powerful hardware?

Well an STB was rumoured before XB1 launched. The idea has probably been doing the rounds at MS for ages. And if Sony can have a crack with a fairly pointless PSTV device, MS should be able to put together a pretty compelling Windows-based dongle.

Sony probably have all of the components for such a device in their existing inventory - meaning new contracts with suppliers wouldn't be required. This is probably not the case for Microsoft.

Sony probably have all of the components for such a device in their existing inventory - meaning new contracts with suppliers wouldn't be required. This is probably not the case for Microsoft.

Except Microsoft already has contracts with suppliersfor making consoles, tablets and phones in their existing inventory, so between those three what else would MS need thats not covered?

Except Microsoft already has contracts with suppliersfor making consoles, tablets and phones in their existing inventory, so between those three what else would MS need thats not covered?

Low watt AC supplies, power regulation circuitry and lots of glue. Having worked on a lot of hardware you would not believe how much glue logic is required to bridge components together. Check the circuit board in the Apple TV - https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4th+Generation+Teardown/49046

Microsoft likely wouldn't be using much from their tablets and phones because that stuff is unnecessarily expensive because it's small and low power.

What Microsoft use in Xbox One is very likely over specified. STBs will be using components somewhere in between larger than mobile, lower power than console. If they care about cost anyway!

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...ne-and-ps4-price-drops-on-the-horizon-1312614

Lisa Su said:
Without talking about any particular party's console - there will be opportunities to cost-reduce

The most obvious opportunity one can think of is to shrink the current 28nm APUs to 14/16nm FinFet.
Smaller chip and lower power consumption = smaller PSU and cheaper PCB.
This would also allow for a smaller console, of course.

IMO, what these consoles are in dire need of is HDMI 2.0 / HDCP2.2, in order to support the new blu-ray standards and 4K from Netflix&Co.

Selling consoles without optical media is out of the question.
People keep forgetting that the retailers who sell consoles are the same retailers that make a lot of money selling games. If Microsoft tries to sell a disc-less console the retailers will sabotage it like they did with the PSP Go.

Even when Nintendo made its barebones Wii called Wii Mini, they took out pretty much everything but the optical drive.

People keep forgetting that the retailers who sell consoles are the same retailers that make a lot of money selling games. If Microsoft tries to sell a disc-less console the retailers will sabotage it like they did with the PSP Go.

What about those digital code cards they sell for other items? Less shelf space (or higher density from a certain POV).

Retailers would be missing out on used-game sales though, which I gather is what the biggest issue is?

Call it Xbox Mini and allow it to ably stream with low latency from any windows device while supporting remotes, keyboards, mice and PC/xbox contoller. I imagine quite a few PC and xbox gamers would find the ability to extend their hardware cheaply a worthwhile value at $99 and under.

Low watt AC supplies, power regulation circuitry and lots of glue. Having worked on a lot of hardware you would not believe how much glue logic is required to bridge components together. Check the circuit board in the Apple TV - https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4th+Generation+Teardown/49046

Microsoft likely wouldn't be using much from their tablets and phones because that stuff is unnecessarily expensive because it's small and low power.

What Microsoft use in Xbox One is very likely over specified. STBs will be using components somewhere in between larger than mobile, lower power than console. If they care about cost anyway!

MS already produces several different display docks and adapters for phones and PCs with some having wireless capabilities using miracast. And I imagine if MS can support that those products producing something of similar capability branded for the xbox isn't that far fetched.

MS already produces several different display docks and adapters for phones and PCs with some having wireless capabilities using miracast. And I imagine if MS can support that those products producing something of similar capability branded for the xbox isn't that far fetched.
Right, and I'm not remotely suggesting Microsoft can't do it :nope: What I said was that Sony likely have every component for such a device already in their inventory which makes R&D so much easer. Not only do you not have to start engaging with suppliers but because you already use the components you are familiar with tolerances and reliability from experience - everything is a known quantity.

I absolutely want to see a smaller Xbox One - I'm very much in the market for one myself :yes:

Surely RnD operates with piecemeal components bought in tiny numbers based on spec sheets until a working, final prototype is assembled, and then the components are bought in bulk on a contract to supply the manufacturer? I wouldn't have thought SCE making a camera could get hold of a Sony manufactured lens any easier than any other company. They'll still have to go through official channels to request a sample etc. The only benefit I see for Sony is optional preferential treatment when it comes to hard-to-acquire parts.

Surely RnD operates with piecemeal components bought in tiny numbers based on spec sheets until a working, final prototype is assembled, and then the components are bought in bulk on a contract to supply the manufacturer?

Yup and in an ideal world components from suppliers A, B, C, D thru Z would all operate the same - identical thermal envelope, identical power ramping and draw, identical electrical noise, but the reality is they'll all be different so you're not buying a few of these and a few of those you're buying lots and lots of different components from lots of different suppliers and trying them in different combinations.

I wouldn't have thought SCE making a camera could get hold of a Sony manufactured lens any easier than any other company. They'll still have to go through official channels to request a sample etc. The only benefit I see for Sony is optional preferential treatment when it comes to hard-to-acquire parts.

Four years ago this was certainly the case and was one of Sony's many organisational problems and one that was addressed specifically by Kaz Hirai in his "one Sony" statement shortly after becoming CEO. He specifically cited the component R&D business being re-organised to support other Sony business. That should have been long done because it's easy to do and is obvious to anybody - except perhaps Sony management pre-April 2012.

More valuable than access to actual components is access to data on the use of components - something Sony would have a lot of because that make a lot of hardware. Like I said, components are mostly certainly not created equally.

Btw xbox one can act as miracast receiver right?

So you can mirror your laptop or phone or anything to your TV easily. Although without NFC, it won't be one-tap simple.

Stb xbox or xbox stick thwith that capabilities would be nice

What about those digital code cards they sell for other items?

Your answer is in the bolded part. They're the ones selling the digital codes and vouchers, not the console manufacturers through their online stores.

Did Microsoft not design and build iptv receivers and other set top boxes, the bt vision box I believe was Microsoft under the hood running some base code from Microsoft, I believe a german telco /tv provider had a near identical box and software image,

I would think they have many devices like this somewhat done in the wings in the name or research, especially as they do embedded .Net they must have all the low power chips and building blocks and partnerships to get stuff if they wanted to.

I'm running "Bell Fibe" (Canadian IPTV Cable equivalent) and the embedded OS is MS.

Funny thing, when we first got it installed the menu boxes were all rounded corners; I noticed recently, after the Win10 release, they quietly updated the UI menus to hard corners and flat colors...

Back