PS3 Super Slim and pricing revealed

dobwal

Legend
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/sony-reveals-new-super-slim-ps3-hardware-redesign/

"Two configurations in the US: a $270 model with a 250GB hard drive and a copy of Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition that will be available September 25, while a $300 model with a 500GB drive and a copy of Assassin's Creed III will be available October 30. Both units will come in "Charcoal Black" and "Classic White" colors."

Not really feeling the $20 dollar price hike as $270 min purchase price for 6 year console tech seems a little far fetched. But I imagine Sony is try to take advantage of the initial demand while throwing in some goodies to lessen the appearance of gouging early adopters of this new model. A price drop will probably follow later.

Is there no 12 GB flash version in NA? Ah, I see not.
However, the 500GB model will retail at €299 (around £240), while the 12GB option, which is exclusive to Europe, will come in at €229 (around £180).
12 GBs flash where you can add an HDD sounds intriguing. I wonder if you can choose where to put data and run your current games off flash? Will it even have a performance advantage?

I was wondering that as well. I somehow totally expect it to be so lame that if you install a HDD, you won't see the Flash memory anymore. On the other hand, they could add a new option in the firmware that allows you to choose a location to save to and such, so that you could also select for instance the Cloud space you have for PSN. But considering that would require support from all existing games, and the little respect I have for Sony's SDK team for that kind of thing, I'm thinking ... nah, first see, then believe.

I don't much mind the top loading other than it's potentially a little more awkward (or even a lot) for consoles on shelves and in cabinets. It's a smarter solution than PS2slim's flip-top lid that needed even more room to open and if the cost savings are there, why not? I'm presuming this is the machine that'll get down to £100 or however low PS3 goes. It's not going to have premium CE gear build qualities as a cheap console, and it's not intended as an upgrade for existing PS3 owners.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/sony-reveals-new-super-slim-ps3-hardware-redesign/

"Two configurations in the US: a $270 model with a 250GB hard drive and a copy of Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition that will be available September 25, while a $300 model with a 500GB drive and a copy of Assassin's Creed III will be available October 30. Both units will come in "Charcoal Black" and "Classic White" colors."

Not really feeling the $20 dollar price hike as $270 min purchase price for 6 year console tech seems a little far fetched. But I imagine Sony is try to take advantage of the initial demand while throwing in some goodies to lessen the appearance of gouging early adopters of this new model. A price drop will probably follow later.

It's not bad.getting 90 more gigs than the old one plus 2 games.Its a limited edition so looks like will hit $200 at least I think.
The top loader is not as bad as it would seem I expect,can most likely insert and take out faster for sure.

Ha! $270? Jeez, I heard the news and thought 'maybe now is the time to buy a PS3... there is that zombie game coming out and all'.

Uhhh, you say this isn't marketed to existing PS3 users but who else is going to pay $270 for what is obviously cheaply built junk?

Who thinks this is a good idea and will attract new PS3 users, other than existing PS3 users?

This console should be $199. $249 would be stretching it. $270?

Seriously?

No thanks. Been waiting for the PS3 to get less expensive before I buy one. Not more expensive while more cheaply built.

So much for the $179 flash PS3 or whatever some supposed GAF insider claimed.

This means MS doesn't have to drop price either. Also means MS slim worldwide generation sales lead on PS3 is probably pretty safe for a while again.

The Wii U looking like current gen helps too, it doesn't put any pressure on Sony/MS.

I was wondering that as well. I somehow totally expect it to be so lame that if you install a HDD, you won't see the Flash memory anymore.

I actually think that is the case based on some GAF posts I was reading. Dont quote me on that though.

12 GBs flash where you can add an HDD sounds intriguing. I wonder if you can choose where to put data and run your current games off flash? Will it even have a performance advantage?
Apparently not:
" Users can also expand the storage capacity of the new PS3 with 12GB flash memory by connecting a dedicated HDD (250GB) to be released concurrently with the new PS3 *1"
"*1 When using dedicated HDD, flash memory cannot be used as inner storage"
http://www.develop-online.net/press-releases/91110/PlayStation-3

So is the European lineup soon only a 500GB model for 299€ and a 12GB model for 229€ How much of that 12GB of flash is actually free for the user? With so many games having mandatory installs, the flash model feels almost unusable. We'll see where the actual retail prices land, but today you can get a PS3 with 320GB HDD for 229€ over here.

Funny how Sony thinks it's OK to cheapen down the hardware yet bump up the sales price. Glad I got one of the old Slims first, before this POS hits the market.

Is the top hatch user operated or motor controlled somehow?

Funny how Sony thinks it's OK to cheapen down the hardware yet bump up the sales price. Glad I got one of the old Slims first, before this POS hits the market.

Is the top hatch user operated or motor controlled somehow?

I'm sure I saw a video that shows it's user operated. You just slide it sideways.

Uhhh, you say this isn't marketed to existing PS3 users but who else is going to pay $270 for what is obviously cheaply built junk?

This console should be $199. $249 would be stretching it. $270?
It will be, but you want to mop up the $270 buyers before dropping the price. It's better (from a business POV) to launch too expensive and drop the price rather than launch too cheap and miss profits. Haven't Sony historically seen sales spikes when releasing a slim model due to form factor alone?

It will be, but you want to mop up the $270 buyers before dropping the price. It's better (from a business POV) to launch too expensive and drop the price rather than launch too cheap and miss profits. Haven't Sony historically seen sales spikes when releasing a slim model due to form factor alone?

Bottom line is Sony is hurting for money, should anybody really be surprised by this move? Cheaper to produce hardware+same price=more profit.

I thought slim models had always been accompanied by a price drop (googling shows 2009 original ps3 slim was). New form factor plus no drop might actually be an interesting test case.

Guess it depends on if people find the size decrease to be desirable, or the new look to be cheap and disgusting as Neogaf does.

Back