PS3 Super Slim and pricing revealed

Saw the Uncharted bundle in the store yesterday already, that was fast.

You just earned yourself some evil looks from a phat user :LOL:
im desperately waiting for some die shrinks and ideally price reduction... ideally a hdd less sku.
Regarding looks, I pretty much gave up to see a design ala (launch) PS2 again, not much difference if your console looks like a foreman grill or a 80s radio clock

Oh dear... the original phat or one of the later models with die shrinks? :oops: I remember my phat being unbearable noisy, but to be honest, I don't think my Slim is much better now days. Perhaps I have to clean it again, but even just listening to music, the fans speed up quite substantially. :???:

Cleaning it helps, although it has little impact for the noisy fans once you start to play some of the graphically more intense games... :cry:

Any tear downs of this yet? I'm curious if they have a 32nm/28nm part in there.

A few YT vids of a teardown:
http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-...per-ultra-slim-internal-disassembly-pictures/

Just got linked to it, so I haven't seen it yet (Vid 3 in particular). I have slim doubts that they bothered to measure the chip sizes. :mad: (And we don't even have a reliable measurement for 40nm RSX from the later Slims. :rolleyes: sigh)

Looks like they still kept to 4xGDDR3 chips for RSX. Wonder if that's due to the package design. I do wonder how the dev kits sported double memory prior to 1Gbit densities though. Anyways...

GNSwQ.jpg

Based on Al's Super Scientific measuring, comparing the RSX die to the USB port, the chip is in the 121mm^2 range, and by that, I mean between 100-144mm^2. ಠ_ಠ Seems highly unlikely to be 28nm (makes sense given external factors, but I digress on fab business).

curse these teardown "techies" who can't be bothered to measure shit

wii u can only win if they have supply. which i doubt.

I don't know , they would need what 4-5 million wii u's world wide to take the best selling console title ? Seems like they can do it to me. I understand the united states is getting almost 2m for launch day alone.

Looks like they still kept to 4xGDDR3 chips for RSX. Wonder if that's due to the package design. I do wonder how the dev kits sported double memory prior to 1Gbit densities though. Anyways...

They took the heat spreader off of the RSX, though. Have the GDDR chips become less prone to generating heat, for some reason?

I don't know , they would need what 4-5 million wii u's world wide to take the best selling console title ? Seems like they can do it to me. I understand the united states is getting almost 2m for launch day alone.
I have read in different places that this new model of the PS3 is being a huge success. I don't expect radical changes from now til the end of this generation, sales wise, but it's certainly good news for Sony. The holidays season is going to be pretty interesting when WiiU enters the market.

I have read in different places that this new model of the PS3 is being a huge success. I don't expect radical changes from now til the end of this generation, sales wise, but it's certainly good news for Sony. The holidays season is going to be pretty interesting when WiiU enters the market.

meh, it's probably the usual "weekly sales in the uk were up 138% week over week per chart track!" pr nonsense iirc. sounds good, but weekly sales of any console, especially lately, are surely quite low, and it's easy to produce a big front loaded increase

it may or may not do well but i'd say at best jury's out, and my guess is there's a small bump given the pricing and asthetics

Oh dear... the original phat or one of the later models with die shrinks? :oops: I remember my phat being unbearable noisy, but to be honest, I don't think my Slim is much better now days. Perhaps I have to clean it again, but even just listening to music, the fans speed up quite substantially. :???:

Cleaning it helps, although it has little impact for the noisy fans once you start to play some of the graphically more intense games... :cry:
No, I bought it when the slims where already available.. pretty cheap... and I hoped to be able to run "other OS"es on it.
It still is pretty horrible as soon as the fan starts - its pretty much impossible to make it stop running except switching of the console. Unfortunately there are only x86 CPUs and mobiles`s left when it comes to good power management, the PS3 sucks crazy amounts of power at idle and light tasks

Wii U is lucky to sell 500k in November same as Wii launch. Promised preorder allocations are LOW

Back