PS3 sales

The stock market loves margins with a lust which cannot be quenched. NV has been, corporately, above 40% for some time, which is fantastic. . . but has also been making public noises at the highest levels that they did not feel that 45% was out of reach. This is the kind of talk that makes financial analysts mess their drawers, and has been built into NV's stock price to some degree. But sales assumptions for RSX, since it is a royalty deal and nearly 100% margins (as described by NV themselves) was certainly built into the thinking that 45% corporate average might be in reach. If RSX sales are somewhat lower than previously expected, then the chance that NV will continue to expand their already historically high margins towards 45% is also greatly reduced. So what this report is really saying is "Sorry, folks, it's liable to stay at 'Wow!'. . .'ZOMG!' may have left the building for now. . .anyone banking on 'ZOMG!' should plan otherwise."

So this begs the question, does NVDA only get licenesing fees on 'sold' machines and not manufactured?

If thats the case, that's a potentially raw deal and I could easily see this effecting overall share price (short and long term.)

Is Sony in strict control of RSX at this point? Are they going through the reductions themselves? Is NVDA involved in this process? Or is NVDA just sitting back and collecting checks at this point?

Does NVDA only get licenesing fees on 'sold' machines and not manufactured?

I seriously doubt that, why would nVidia make a deal like that?

edit: crap I forgot Sony manufactures them... So yeah the deal could very well be what you proposed, even likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so now it's not just anecdotal anymore.

oh and $129 US for every RSX goes to Nvidia? :oops:
Very clearly not.
129$ is what iSuppli estimated (with highly arguable confidence levels) to be the cost of RSX. The claim that NVIDIA gets the same 129$ a pop "according to iSuppli" means assuming zero manufacturing cost per unit, which is quite frankly retarded.

The claim that NVIDIA gets the same 129$ a pop "according to iSuppli" means assuming zero manufacturing cost per unit, which is quite frankly retarded.

Absolutely and for the analyst to lower nVidia target share price from $45 to $33 on the back of that retarded thinking clearly displays what complete imbeciles these analysts are.

That's peoples investments/pensions etc that they are putting at risk with that kind of bollocks, how do we make these guys accountable for drivel like this?!:devilish:

Has anyone actually read the analyst report, because it wasn't clear to me whether the analyst report actually says that or the Bloomberg report, reporting on the alanyst report puts that together...

Has anyone actually read the analyst report, because it wasn't clear to me whether the analyst report actually says that or the Bloomberg report, reporting on the alanyst report puts that together...

Stop being so rational, cant you see I was on a rant!

Found this Nvidia stuff @ Barron's

Michael McConnell, semiconductor analyst with Pacific Crest, today chopped his price target on Nvidia (NVDA) to $33 from $45, and trimmed his profit and revenue outlook for the company. McConnell went to $1.67 a share from $1.77 for the January 2008 fiscal year; he remains at $1.40 for fiscal 2007.
“Our latest survey indicates that Vista component demand forecasts to the supply chain from Dell and HP (HPQ) have weakened over the past three weeks,” he wrote in a research note. In Dell’s case, he blames “excess component inventory and competitive share losses.” In the case of HP, he says “concerns over the price premium for Vista PCs.”
His bottom line on this issue: “Investors are likely to lower their expectations for the effects of the operating system in the near term, resulting in a subsequent headwind for PC semiconductor stocks…such as Nvidia.”
He also said that despite recent microprocessor price cuts, graphics card sales into the channel “have shown no signs of a rebound leading into Chinese New Year, with add-in board partners missing sales forecasts in January after very weak sales in December.” Another potential issue for Nvidia: “the lukewarm consumer reception to Sony’s (SNE) Playstation 3. “Sony royalties garnered by Nvidia from the PS3 build are expected to be the primary driver of Nvidia’s gross-margin expansion in fiscal 2008,” he writes. “Although poor manufacturing yields on Blu-Ray diodes were the initial cause of PS3 unit constraints at retailers, we have seen evidence of weaker-than-expected consumer demand as availability has improved, likely stemming form overly high prices at retailers and a lack of compelling game titles.”

Which while not ruling out the possibility that Mr McConnell was the source of the NVIDIA get $129 a pop comment, certainly indicates that he has additional concerns over other revenue streams (& incidentally most of those would apply equally to ATI, wrong topic though)

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point it seems to me that the article writing about the analyst report put those two figures together. The analyst specifically cites "royalties" but the iSupply figures are approaching graphics board revenues - Pacific Crest have covered NV for some time and I would be surprised if they got these mixed up; they also covered them long enough to have heard the royalty levels that NV have previously cited for PS3.

Because PS3 sales need a push MS "decided" to make a generous deal to promote rival console on one of their X360 games. ;)

Champion League for the PS3 "rescue" :LOL:

Because PS3 sales need a push MS "decided" to make a generous deal to promote rival console on one of their X360 games. ;)

Champion League for the PS3 "rescue" :LOL:

that is nothing to do with agreements with microsoft and EA.
EA gained licence from UEFA to make UCL game;
UEFA officially sponsors Sony Bravia and PLAYSTATION® 3

if microsoft were not to allow PLAYSTATION® 3 on the game the game itself wouldn't exist on XB360.

by the way, why isn't this game on PS3 or Wii??? are they still in development problems (how could they when other EA studios have games like NFS:C and NFL Madden 07)

Wow nintendo just continues to destroy all in japan. The DSL sales are nothing short of amazing. The Wii outselling the PS3 4-1 is doing rather well considering supply problems. I have said it for a while MS has to be very pleased that the PS3 is tanking in japan making the territory for now atleast meaningless for the HD console war. I do have to feel bad for some of the developers who put a lot of money into PS3 projects and will be lucky to make thier money back because of poor sales of the PS3 platform.

I am not sure if it even sure a real price cut can help sony right now in japan. I really believe for now alteast the market has turned its nose up at traditional console games.

Back