PS3 sales

What is the "amazing power" I can show off?:LOL:
I agree the ps3 units seemed to have moved pretty well off the shelves in most places by now. Question is, how many of those units were from the original shipment of 1 million and how many were shipped in addition?

Thats irrelevant

I dont understand the relevance of which PS3's (older or newer shipment) were baught to the need of some consumers to get one

PS3 shipment initially of 1 million. npd sales for 2006 ~700k.
Total ps3 sales in US = (700k + (January = (300K leftover units + X shipment)))

PS3 shipment initially of 1 million. npd sales for 2006 ~700k.
Total ps3 sales in US = (700k + (January = (300K leftover units + X shipment)))

What does this have to do with demand? The article is refering to "outselling" not "outshipping"

Whether the units sold are leftovers or new shipment doesnt indicate to anything about demand

Or is there something I dont quite get?

What does this have to do with demand?

If there was not another shipment then the only sales were from the original shipment of 1million which means demand was about 300k for January seeing as this shipment was on store shelves until recently.

I think he's saying that the Jan 2007 demand may be supply-limited by the first 1 million shipment (if there were no more PS3 shipment after the last big one). So assuming Sony sold all 1 million, this puts the Jan numbers at around 300K.

I think he's saying that the Jan 2007 demand may be supply-limited by the first 1 million shipment (if there were no more PS3 shipment after the last big one). So assuming Sony sold all 1 million, this puts the Jan numbers at around 300K.

Oh...well then perhaps more supply=more sales?

Thats good news then

Exactly. PS3's were widely avalable in January. By the beginning of February supply dried up. We know Sony shipped 1 million and sold ~700k in 2006 in the U.S. This left us with ~300k ps3's. If supply ran out across the states then that accounts for at least the 300k so the question is: how many were shipped in addition to the 1st million?

No he meant that if there were not additional shipments, then the demand for Jan was what was left of the original shipment, this would mean about 300k if the numbers are correct. However to me this logic seems wayy too fussy, better just to wait for the real numbers. And why wouldn't there have been any new shipments, certainly the stores are plasing orders before they sell the very last unit.

No he meant that if there were not additional shipments, then the demand for Jan was what was left of the original shipment, this would mean about 300k if the numbers are correct. How ever to me this logic seems wayy too fussy, better just to wait for the real numbers. And why wouldn't there have been any new shipments, certainly the stores are plasing orders before they sell the very last unit.

See TheChefO's confirmation of my understanding. But I agree with you that we don't know what's the supply situation since after the last shipment.

See TheChefO's confirmation of my understanding. But I agree with you that we don't know what's the supply situation since after the last shipment.

heh even though he confirmed you right, I still think I got it right :smile:
as he is saying PS3 was not supply limited in jan.

heh - actually both! PS3 may have been supply limited if by the end of Jan they were sold out and had no additional shipment to the original 1 million. However we don't know how many total were sold nor how many were shipped. We do know that at least a millon were shipped though and that for the most part they seem to be harder to come by now.

This tells us they have sold at least 1 million (300k in January) and possibly more.

If it's not, then I don't see how the 300K estimate can be used since it could be lower.

Sony will want to stock the shelves with a few units in every store. So they should have shipped/allocated more units to prevent stock-out in the best selling areas (Already happening in Jan). Otherwise, they are indeed delaying/losing sales.

If it's not, then I don't see how the 300K estimate can be used since it could be lower.

Sony will want to stock the shelves with a few units in every store. So they should have shipped/allocated more units to prevent stock-out in the best selling areas (Already happening in Jan). Otherwise, they are indeed delaying/losing sales.

Thing to remember is jan npd this year is 5 weeks;)

Hence my "both" comment

Yes true, I personally believe that the number will be slightly over 300 maybe 350k, but I have understood that the NPD numbers might lose anything between 0-20% so the error of margin is rather big in this case and because of this the exact supply/demand maybe hard to nail down.

Back