ps3 much more powerful than xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have no idea what iteration of Cell or number of them will be in PS3. We still don't know if the PS3 cell is gonna have to do vertex work and the nvidia silicon is just a pixel processor. Nor do we know if the Xbox360 is gonna have a tri-core PowerPC or dual-core and a PPU. This is all speculation right now. Hype and Rumors are not worth the energy. (256Gflops = Pixar quality on the ps2 = Hd Era = BS from both sides) I still think RAM will be the deciding factor between them. Personally I see the technology difference being similar to the Genesis vs. Super Nintendo. I see the launches as being similar too.

Pozer said:
We have no idea what iteration of Cell or number of them will be in PS3. We still don't know if the PS3 cell is gonna have to do vertex work and the nvidia silicon is just a pixel processor. Nor do we know if the Xbox360 is gonna have a tri-core PowerPC or dual-core and a PPU. This is all speculation right now. Hype and Rumors are not worth the energy. (256Gflops = Pixar quality on the ps2 = Hd Era = BS from both sides) I still think RAM will be the deciding factor between them. Personally I see the technology difference being similar to the Genesis vs. Super Nintendo. I see the launches as being similar too.

If hype and rumors weren't worth the energy, then how would forums like this survive? ;)

On a more serious note though, I think it's safe to say that the Cell in PS3 will have between 6 and 8 SPE's, and that the 360 CPU will be tri-core, sans PPU. No, I don't have any inside info or anything, I just think it's 'safe to say,' considering the evidence out there. The biggest question mark I suppose would be the possible inclusion of a PPU for the 360, but I just think that for cost and over-specialization reasons, as well as time contraints, it is more likely than not that we will not see anything like that in there.

Who says Sony has an advantage when it comes to hardware? The PS3 will most likely be extremely difficult to develop for in the beginning and that will probably keep away a few developers (maybe 2%). Hardware has barely ever been an advantage in the console world.

Look at the PS2, it is a crappy piece of hardware that had outdated technology when it was released but it still has managed to hold off competition of superior systems.

The PS3 will be obviously better in terms of hardware power in the CPU side. We still need to know more aobut the Nvidia system to truly know the graphical power of the system.

Physics are becoming more important and I do think that we will have plenty of processing power in the next generation on all three of the systems.

I don't think the difference will be comparable to Genesis vs SNES as SNES wins in almost every performance category. I think the difference will be less than the difference between Xbox and PS2 ie Xenon and PS3 will have its strengths and weaknesses.

Genesis vs SNES as SNES wins in almost every performance category.

Actually it doesn't. Genesis had a faster cpu (motorola 68000 7.14mhz) compared to the SNES (65816 3.58MHz). Lots of sports games ran alot better on the Genesis like Madden. The SOnic speed effect could have never been done on the SNES. 95% of everything else was superior though. Genesis had an edge when speedy gfx were needed. But SNES looked alot prettier, just slower.

Just a question for the tech heads

If you can chosse betwen a 1 PPE+8 SPus cell or a 9 PPE, which one would you prefer :?:

Performance in Gflops would be a little slower, but not much Right :?:

pc999 said:
Just a question for the tech heads

If you can chosse betwen a 1 PPE+8 SPus cell or a 9 PPE, which one would you prefer :?:

Performance in Gflops would be a little slower, but not much Right :?:

You more or less require the PPE, so at least as far as the PS3 goes, I don't think that the 9 SPE is an option, even theoretically.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread and thought you meant 9 SPE's rather than PPE's.

Pozer said:

Actually it doesn't. Genesis had a faster cpu (motorola 68000 7.14mhz) compared to the SNES (65816 3.58MHz). Lots of sports games ran alot better on the Genesis like Madden. The SOnic speed effect could have never been done on the SNES. 95% of everything else was superior though. Genesis had an edge when speedy gfx were needed. But SNES looked alot prettier, just slower.

Did you actually read what you quoted? Oh btw blast processing is just marketing hype. There were plenty of games on SNES that ran fast. FZERO is just one example.

I think the difference will be less than the difference between Xbox and PS2 ie Xenon and PS3 will have its strengths and weaknesses.

I disagree. And to a degree MS seems to emphasize X360 as a value proposition than with hardware superiority (plus historically consoles coming out later are more powerful). Add to that ramblings are not only stating that the PS3 is more powerful but that both CPU/GPU are more powerful to their counterparts in X360.

If you can chosse betwen a 1 PPE+8 SPus cell or a 9 PPE, which one would you prefer

What kind of question is that?

If I had a choice of 1PPU+8SPE or 9PPU, I'd take the 9PPU any day. (With cache of course.) Much better instruction set, much more flexibility, much easier to program.

:D

And give me 24GB of memory. All with 2000 GB of bandwidth. And throw a quantum processor in there as well.

Now, 3-4PPU vs 1PPU+8SPE... that's a much harder question to answer. ;)

Sonic said:
Look at the PS2, it is a crappy piece of hardware that had outdated technology when it was released but it still has managed to hold off competition of superior systems.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So what you're saying is you have absolutely no knowledge of embedded multimedia hardware at all and have nothing to add to any discussion about the subject.

Mythos said:
I think the difference will be less than the difference between Xbox and PS2 ie Xenon and PS3 will have its strengths and weaknesses.

I disagree. And to a degree MS seems to emphasize X360 as a value proposition than with hardware superiority (plus historically consoles coming out later are more powerful). Add to that ramblings are not only stating that the PS3 is more powerful but that both CPU/GPU are more powerful to their counterparts in X360.

Of course historically consoles are more powerful, that's not the point. The point is will this extra power advantage be visible right from the start to any significant degree beyond paper specs. What about efficiency?

aaaaa00 said:
If you can chosse betwen a 1 PPE+8 SPus cell or a 9 PPE, which one would you prefer

Well in version 1 of cell ,at least, it would be at the same die size, so I am just wondering if it would be hard to do, and confirming if it is better.

pc999 said:
aaaaa00 said:

Well in version 1 of cell ,at least, it would be at the same die size, so I am just wondering if it would be hard to do, and confirming if it is better.

Uh, no. 1 PPE + 8 SPU is not the same chip area as 9 PPE. No way not even close.

I thought 1 PPE is about twice the chip area as an SPU. From this die image, 1PPE + 512 KB cache is nearly as big as 4 SPUs.

Point being, SPUs are castrated and optimized for specific tasks. That is why they're small, and that's why you can fit so many onto the die.

If the choice is 1 PPE vs 1 SPU, no other considerations, I'd take the PPE any day.

up34102.jpg

PC-Engine said:
Pozer said:

Did you actually read what you quoted? Oh btw blast processing is just marketing hype. There were plenty of games on SNES that ran fast. FZERO is just one example.

I'm not gonna argue with you there I was just playing devil's advocate. If they had to just crunch numbers the Genesis would win. But to be picky some of the SNES games used addon chips that weren't part of the shipping hardware but in the game cart. If your counting addons then you have to count the 32x and that makes the Genesis way more powerful... Hehehe Just kidding with ya. It took devs a couple of years though to learn the SNES hardware especially for sports games. The first few years of SNES MAdden weren't good. But I'll retract my original statement.. 99% of the time SNES was better. ;)

aaaaa00 said:
pc999 said:
aaaaa00 said:

Uh, no. 1 PPE + 8 SPU is not the same as 9 PPE.

I thought 1 PPE is about twice the chip area as an SPU.

That is in version 2 of Cell.

I wonder who they improve the PPE from v1 to v2 ...(we need a thinking smiley).

Edit v1 of cell PPE = SPU

ppecell.jpg

pc999 said:
That is in version 2 of Cell.

I wonder who they improve the PPE from v1 to v2 ...(we need a thinking smiley).

I have trouble believing that the die area of PPEv1 is equal to die area of SPUv1. Have a source?

Edit: Good picture thanks.

However, SPU includes scratchpad ram. You have to include the L2 cache of the PPE for the PPE to compete.

I'm not gonna argue with you there I was just playing devil's advocate.

Well that's why I said the SNES wins in ALMOST every category, which IS fact. Anyway FZERO didn't need any extra chips AFAIK and it ran pretty damn fast.

aaaaa00, which would you choose a 3PPE chip or the 1PPE + 8SPE chip? What about a 4PPE chip vs a 1PPE + 8SPE chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back