ps3 much more powerful than xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpapasmurf

Newcomer
this months egm rumor mill....

Rumors

-XBOX 360 controller will have a xboxlive button to instantly connect online

-Change of plans. After seeing PS3's power several big-time gamemakers have moved projects from XBOX 360 to PS3

-Wrestling games maybe in the pipes from both EA & Rockstar

-MGS4 will be OFFICIALLY announced for PS3 at E3 & possibly whatever Kojima is working on since he will not be directing the sequel (yeah right)

Next Gen report on game prices possibly rising to $70

so what do you guys think of this?

Rumors also say Elvis was a space alien and that he's not dead, he just went home.

This is probably the 511th time someone's proclaimed PS3 more powerful than nextbox without any proof to back it up with. After a while it gets kind of tedious. :)

Fortunately we can all see for ourselves in not too long.

hey look, i can make a rumor up too!

'from my sources, PS3 is vastly more powerful than Xbox360 and the Xbox1 and the Atari 2600 combined! from what i have heard, a large number of developers have shifted their Xbox360 projects over to the far more powerful PS3 platform. look for Microsoft to offer some incentives to developers to come back to the 360 side of things'

wah! there, i've created a more substantial r0m0r than EGM. i am such teh insider!

:rolleyes:

I could believe it, but I could just as easily believe that it's only hype (re: PS2 launch hype). I'll wait and see, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

EGM's editor claims on another board that "a number" of major companies HAVE told them this, but they haven't been able to get information out of enough of them to derive a trend - hence why it's in the rumour section and not in the news section.

It wouldn't exactly be surprising (?)

Since when has lack of power of a system been reason to leave it? PS2 is regarded as inferior in the power stakes but it keeps the developers. Even if PS3 is more powerful, as a company developing an XB360 game that alone wouldn't be reason to switch development to a new platform.

The only reason to cut one's losses is if you think a hardware platform is going to flunk out. Perhaps with PS3 being more powerful, devs think the one-horse race has become even more one-sided, and the PlayStation will extend it's dominance as no-one wants an XB360?

Seems illogical to me. Add a PS3 port of your XB360 game, sure, but desert XB360 entirely? I'd love to hear these developers' reasons!

maybe next generation "porting" and multi platform titles will be even harder and more expensive than this generation, thus forcing developers to make a choice where to allocate their resources?

What reason is there for top publishers to support the underdog with many of their resources if its better allocated somewhere else (in their eyes)? Wasn't this a factor in the Dreamcast's failure after all?

If this is true next gen will have (a lot ?) fewer gamers, or at least gamers with ferwer games ( a lot fewer ?).

That cant be good for industry.

Guys, this is a rumor of what is in the next EGM. we don't even know if any of these individual things are real. let alone all of them together.

This is a stupid rumor. Why would you need a button to stay connected to live? Staying connected will be automatic, just like it is with the previous Xbox.

-Change of plans. After seeing PS3's power several big-time gamemakers have moved projects from XBOX 360 to PS3

The most powerful system never wins each console generation. To make use of "more power in PS3" it will cost "more development time and money" to accomplish. That is, if it is indeed 2 or 3 times more powerful then xbox 360. How that manifests itself in the way gamers can discern a vast difference would probably be debatable.

Anyway I look at this "rumor" of what's in the next EGM as BS/exageration from from a online fan.

-Wrestling games maybe in the pipes from both EA & Rockstar

IMO, we'll only see this if they have a WWE wrestling license.

-MGS4 will be OFFICIALLY announced for PS3 at E3 & possibly whatever Kojima is working on since he will not be directing the sequel (yeah right)

Wouldn't suprise me as some games will be annouced as exclusive for both platforms.

What a bunch of crap. retaililers would never buy into a price like that for each game and risk getting stuck with it. Game prices haven't risen that much in 20 years and I don't expect them too.

Shifty Geezer said:
Seems illogical to me. Add a PS3 port of your XB360 game, sure, but desert XB360 entirely? I'd love to hear these developers' reasons!

Maybe they have the most powerful platform AND the leading brand worldwide by a margin of over 4x installed base compared to the Xbox.

Qroach said:

This is a stupid rumor. Why would you need a button to stay connected to live? Staying connected will be automatic, just like it is with the previous Xbox.
I guess it's the button with which you can bring up the xbox Live "menu" in any game. Remember the Allard interview a while ago where he said that the next xbox would have an inbuilt Live interface that all the games would share. The Live interface would pop up by pressing that button in controller and would show you informatiopn on friends online, access to custom soundtracks, games available online etc.. They even had some pics of it.
That would make sense as it would be the only convenient means to access that Live interface in game.

I think it's fairly obvious the ps3 will have a hardware advantage over the xbox360. It's probably not shipping till summer/fall of 2006 after all. MS seems to want to go after the mainsteam gamers this round and get them early.

Anyway there is long tradition of less powerfu hardware selling more. (cause of better software, cheaper to make a game, better hardware price, who knows)

1. ColecoVision was more powerful than Atari 2600
2. Sega MAster System was more powerful than NES.
3. MegaDrive was more powerful than PC-Engine (PCE pwned it in japan)
4. N64 was more powerful than PS1 (in raw power not storage)
5. Xbox/GC are more powerful than PS2 (in everything but raw polygons)

The big question will be though. Are they comparable to the average consumer. The average person cannot tell the difference between the ps2 and xbox graphics. There hasn't been an xbox game yet that couldn't have been done on the ps2 but wouldn't have looked as 'clean'. The average person doesn't care about the cleanest image just wants what their neighbors/friends have.

Pozer said:
Anyway there is long tradition of less powerfu hardware selling more. (cause of better software, cheaper to make a game, better hardware price, who knows)

There's also a long tradition of playstations not being the least powerful hardware of the generation..playstations are never first to market. And never the least powerful in a generation.

Pozer said:
The average person cannot tell the difference between the ps2 and xbox graphics. There hasn't been an xbox game yet that couldn't have been done on the ps2 but wouldn't have looked as 'clean'. The average person doesn't care about the cleanest image just wants what their neighbors/friends have.

Agreed, but on this point I think MS is playing a dangerous game. When anyone asks "why Xbox?", when a casual asks that, the first word out of people's mouths is power. That's what defined Xbox's advantage over PS2 and that's what sold it to many people who otherwise wouldn't have bought it - I can assure you having worked in retail that power was really THE major factor in swaying people away from Playstation (it was store policy to push Xbox..don't ask ;)) - along with the reassurance of eventual ports of the big playstation games (even if that wasn't always strictly true..). With X360 they may be losing all the things that defined Xbox as a viable alternative purchase - and no, they haven't built enough momentum with the masses by far to tear people away from the house of playstation based on name alone or even based on its characteristic exclusives, IMO. Judging from what we know now, when PS3 is sitting on a shelf, and X360 is sitting next to it, I think for the masses, the choice will be even more obvious next gen than this gen.

I'm speaking in terms of the masses here - of course, most "hardcore" gamers will buy a X360 because it has games they want. But in terms of the masses...I honestly think this is a big big risk for MS :?

Pozer said:
I think it's fairly obvious the ps3 will have a hardware advantage over the xbox360. It's probably not shipping till summer/fall of 2006 after all.

Do we know what processes Sony are using? Do we know the complete designs of both?

Titanio said:
When anyone asks "why Xbox?", when a casual asks that, the first word out of people's mouths is power. That's what defined Xbox's advantage over PS2 and that's what sold it to many people who otherwise wouldn't have bought it -

Another word comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back