[PS3] Modnation Racers

The blue turtle shell is balanced? Since when?

Since I am good enough that it doesn't matter ;)

Power Weapons (be it Quake, Halo, or Mario Kart) don't make a game unbalanced if the design accommodates. Not to mention my point was that Mario Kart has some of the better driving mechanics in the kart world.

Since I am good enough that it doesn't matter ;)

Power Weapons (be it Quake, Halo, or Mario Kart) don't make a game unbalanced if the design accommodates. Not to mention my point was that Mario Kart has some of the better driving mechanics in the kart world.

The problem with blue shell isnt so much the item itself but how often they are aquired and by who. The further far behind in MK the more likely you are to get the more powerful items so the bottom few places are constantly getting them and the thing is it doesnt really even help those bottom few people get back into the race, which is the idea of giving them good items. It just punishes whoever is in first place with little effect on the mid order racers in between. MK SNES was as far as they needed to go with the items, and is a better game because of this. I think even casual gamers are frustrated with blue shells, it doesnt help them compete which i think was the idea of it and it just ends up annoying people without adding anything good for anyone playing. Its fine to say the game is still excellent anyway but its clearly a design flaw and would be a better game without it, whether you are happy to put up with it or not.

Demo has two options, quick race and splitscreen. Only one map on quick race, very few customization options, I didn't see that open world thing they talk about. Loading isn't that great here either, hahaha.

Demo has two options, quick race and splitscreen. Only one map on quick race, very few customization options, I didn't see that open world thing they talk about. Loading isn't that great here either, hahaha.

The demo loading is about 2/3 less than the video floating around though, so thats something.

I liked it, though. I can't figure out how to work the shield, but it felt nice and speedy... and the level design tool really is impressive.

I was impressed by the demo. Stable, decent framerate and fun gameplay, although I'm not too sure about the weapons. If splitscreen is as stable, it's almost certainly a buy. We can remove power-ups if we decide they are too random, and stick to terrain events to add interest.

One thing lacking, it seems that there's a limit to how tight a bend can be, at least in the drawing mode. There doesn't appear to be the option to lay down a large square of tarmac for some fairly open driving.

sounds promising WRT the frame-rate - I downloaded it to try myself.

I found that too with the corners (on the beta) you couldn't do a sharp turn - tho maybe there is a way to tweak - I just did a quick track, it's amazingly simple and quick to do...be interesting to see people remaking F1 tracks (etc)

You have a very limited pallete in the demo. The potential is enormous though, as long as you're willing to but in the effort. Sure, you can drive out a track in minutes, but making something special will involve tweaking zillions of options.

Looks like a real winner. I'll keep this as a surprise for the little one. He's been complaining that "December is a l-o-n-g time !!!" when he found out LBP2 is coming end of the year. ^_^

I noticed that wife and kid have also moved to casual gaming on the Mac/PC/iPad. Sony should really deliver either:
(A) Remote Desktop + Move integration
(B) HTML5 browser + Flash support (like their NX800 TV) + Move
on the PS3.

In concept, I like the living room approach because it makes my son sit further away from the screen. They may or may not need to make Move behave like a 2D mouse though. Not sure how it'd work out.

You have a very limited pallete in the demo. The potential is enormous though, as long as you're willing to but in the effort. Sure, you can drive out a track in minutes, but making something special will involve tweaking zillions of options.

What amazed me is that I was just testing the options, I chose close out track and auto-populate, and what it generated was actually a little bit fun. That's a lot more than I could say for LBP, for instance.

It's quite fun to watch it creating the track too. Although as the mechanics are so defined, it's clearly a lot easier to auto-generate kart tracks then LBP levels! I'm curious what variations we'll see besides a generic looped track with hidden branch points. Will there be opportunities for doing something earlier in a lap to enable a shortcut or such, thereby creating more interactive levels?

Yap, at 4 years old, my son already "modded" the Monopoly board game. He placed a big 'X' letter over the "Go To Jail" box (and made "Collect 17" [dollars] beside the police man). -_-

I have no doubt tools like ModNation and LBP2 will be a big hit for him, just like Lego was a big thing for me when I was young.

The casual games he plays now are very hack-n-slash-ish (even if somewhat educational). I'd love to get him involved in deeper games/tools.

I think the demo is greatly improved over the beta, and I'm really enjoying the racing (which feels much more solid now). I think with about 30 minutes of play time, anyone who is a fan of Mario Kart will quickly become a fan of ModNation Racers.

I think the demo is greatly improved over the beta...
Hugely. The beta was a bad idea IMO, as that left a very sour taste. I hope those who tried it and felt disappointed also give the demo a go, and don't avoid it thinking they've already experienced MNR. The driving in the Beta was poor but the actual game is as good as kart games from old (more Speed Freaks than Mario).

Back