[PS3] Modnation Racers

Heh heh, the developers seem to like public betas.

I think it's only effective if the developers can change fast enough. If tons of public beta bugs are left dangling, then it may actually hurt sales, and have negative word of mouth.

For Modnation Racer, it may be a close call, a good thing overall.

Maybe the open beta was to iron out online issues? Still maybe a questionable idea to let people see your game when it's so rough.

hmm... I didn't quite "connect" as much to the game as I had hoped. While I do like the whole creation tools, I am somewhat disappointed with the racing itself. Driving (corners) very much feels like a very very old game. In fact, it feels a bit like those 2d racers from the olden days where the backdrop would simply shift when going into a corner. It's probably not the racing mechanic but more to do with how the camera moves around behind the kart.

Are there also game modes where the objective isn't to race, but to basically exterminate all the other players? Some of the most fun I've had in MarioKart (back on the SNES) was an open level (a bit like a maze/labyrinth) and we would be playing 4 playing each other picking up powerups and trying to shoot eachother to oblivion. Are there even tools that allow for some kind of open level like this or is it only possible to lay out roads as they've shown in the videos so far?

Maybe the open beta was to iron out online issues? Still maybe a questionable idea to let people see your game when it's so rough.
Yep. IMO they should have held back until they had a good framerate. Better to launch with a good core experience and rough ancillaries, than provide all the bells and whistles of creation and customisation and yet a game that wasn't fun.

hmm... I didn't quite "connect" as much to the game as I had hoped. While I do like the whole creation tools, I am somewhat disappointed with the racing itself. Driving (corners) very much feels like a very very old game. In fact, it feels a bit like those 2d racers from the olden days where the backdrop would simply shift when going into a corner. It's probably not the racing mechanic but more to do with how the camera moves around behind the kart.
Hmmm. How else could it be done?

Are there also game modes where the objective isn't to race, but to basically exterminate all the other players? Some of the most fun I've had in MarioKart (back on the SNES) was an open level (a bit like a maze/labyrinth) and we would be playing 4 playing each other picking up powerups and trying to shoot eachother to oblivion. Are there even tools that allow for some kind of open level like this or is it only possible to lay out roads as they've shown in the videos so far?
This is looking limited. You can't even create a track that crosses itself for mid-race pile-ups, having to use a bridge. Given the tracks are plain loops, ellimination type games won't be quite the same as MarioKarts battle arenas. However, I did find you could remove the fencing and allow players to drive off the track and out into the middle of the game area (at least in the editor test mode). At least it will be possible to ferry players into open areas like through a village, instead of having to stick to the track.

Hugely. The beta was a bad idea IMO, as that left a very sour taste. I hope those who tried it and felt disappointed also give the demo a go, and don't avoid it thinking they've already experienced MNR. The driving in the Beta was poor but the actual game is as good as kart games from old (more Speed Freaks than Mario).

I couldn't agree more about the improvements - wow...this has gone from "might pick up" to "will pick up" (tho having just bought RDR I think I'll wait for a sub £25 price-point)

WRT the beta, it was nice to get a hands on - it's a tough one isn't it with that sort of thing - I remember back in the day playing Crash Bandicoot (before it was even known about), F1 and a few other pre-release games when a Sony rep came to our shop - the games were NTSC and he played them on a 'special' PS1 but I recorded the footage anyway. Altho it played back in B&W it was great re-watching the video and in the end I played the video on a loop in the shop and used to have a few people just come in to watch it at times...even tho it was such poor quality. As a result we got fantastic pre-orders for F1...so sometimes 'rough' can be good IMHO.

The Kart game... I haz it now !

Got a free Kratos set and a free SackBoy set. I'll see if I can whip up something quick later today.

Tried it briefly.

The load time is about 20 or so seconds in a few areas (e.g., going into edit, starting a race).

The editors are very competent and smooth. Very impressed so far.

I didn't like the art at first, but there's enough skins, colors, and stickers to whip up something different.

The track editor is a joy to use.

The only thing I don't like so far is that half the media library is locked. So I have to win more races to try them.

The racing, drifting and weapon system is solid and intuitive.

The "hub" is what Playstation Home should be. You can see and hear other players in the hub just like PS Home, but you have a very specific purpose to be there ! ^_^

EDIT:
29fxw5k.jpg

Top 3 mod characters right now are:
* Mario
* Spiderman
* Ironman

Interesting ! I fooled around with the editor. How did you make the mask ? I don't remember any ModNation head gear that look similar.

The editors need to integrate with the Move controller.

Character mods after a few days:

Very impressive! That space for the character mods by the way is one of the nicest looking things I've ever seen in a game on my TV. I must admit I was also pleasantly surprised by the framerate in the demo - makes a big difference with the beta. I think I may pick up this game at some point.

Wow, some of those are awesome! Elmo was clever. One can't help but feel this is what Home's customization should have been. People would wander around just to see who they'd meet! But then I guess they couldn't sell junk costumes.

Yap, the character mod and car mod beat Home's character and apartment customization hands down. The hub is also more interesting than a typical Home space: You can see the stats from the community. e.g., Top car mods, top character mods.

Home threw random content at us without organizing and servicing the community.

Yap, the character mod and car mod beat Home's character and apartment customization hands down. The hub is also more interesting than a typical Home space: You can see the stats from the community. e.g., Top car mods, top character mods.

Home threw random content at us without organizing and servicing the community.

I'm really impressed with what is being done with the game, and the corresponding website is a pretty good job as well:

http://www.modnationonline.com

Great to look at the top-ranking creations.

Also, as expected some real tracks are being created, among which Laguna:

http://www.modnationonline.com/modn...s-mods/Tracks/Laguna-Seca-Raceway-833/details

I thought the corresponding website was: http://community.modnation.com/

Yeah, I guess that's the original one then. ;) Thanks for the link. I was wondering about the ads in the other site.

Interesting to see though that it seems to be open enough to be integrated into other sites. Good choice.

I came across this video on the official forums showing off two tracks created by that user, and I must say they look pretty impressive! Getting hotter for this game by the minute.

Back