Mirror's Edge Catalyst

D

Deleted member 11852

mirrors-edge-catalyst.jpg

From the official website:

Hello everyone,

Two years ago we revealed that we were making a new Mirror’s Edge™. Last year, we gave you a behind the scenes look into some of the early progress we had made. And though we haven't said much else in all that time, we have been listening. Thank you for your incredible passion and your patience. I'm excited to tell you that it's paid off — by this time next week, you will have finally seen more of the game at E3.

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

So on behalf on the entire team here at DICE, we can’t wait to show you what we have been pouring our heart and soul into. We can’t wait to introduce you to Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst.

Sara Jansson
Senior Producer, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst

So, a reboot. I'm interested how they will tweak the gameplay. There were some rumblings the game will be open world.

Looking forward to it, but a better story and no violence this time please !

Will EA be publishing? I picked that for now, let me know if you hear otherwise.

Does this fit with Sonys Project Morpheus?

Yep, there were guns in ME which completely ruined it.

The very second guns appeared I uninstalled and sold the game, which is a huge shame as it was brilliant up to that point.

I don't want to see any combat or any guns in the reboot. Chances of that happening are basically zero though. :(

Just a note to say I'm fine having opponents trying to stun Faith, but I don't want regular opponents to have guns, and certainly not Faith. (Having to escape armed opponents could be a high point of the game though).

Looks and sounds like a game sponsored by AMD, I look forward to see the gameplay but still prefer the older design of Faith somehow.

In the original there were some sections with combat and I believe a section or two where combat was forced on you (I could be wrong on that, but it's what my hazy memory remembers). And oh my god did it have god awful combat.

Regards,
SB

Couldn't you complete the game without guns and even get a trophy for it? Not sure...but still, compared to all other games out there (except maybe tetris), this game seems to be quite non violent in comparison.

But I watched now the new clips, and the devs seem to put a bit more emphasis on combat...we will see how it turns out.

Looking forward to it, but a better story and no violence this time please !
The videos show a bit of fighting, but I haven't seen weapons. I fancy this game, and the main character looks so cool. I haven't played the first, so I can't say more.

Perhaps it only has a flaw shared by all the FPS I know of and it is that the first person camera makes things look like when you are drunk, where you develop tunnel vision and your field of view is totally narrowed.

Does this fit with Sonys Project Morpheus?

FPS games with fast movement, shaky cam, rolls and crazy moves do not sit well with VR. There were mods of Mirrors Edge 1 for DK2, and end result was not that great [but its gameworld looks very impressive in VR].

I somehow don't believe that DICE would modify entire gameplay loop just so they will make VR less vomit-inducing.

Video title is self explanatory, how the combat works and a bit of open world of the game.

Couldn't agree more about the different types of gameplay comment though!

I'm curious about the tech behind this game's reflections. All looks mostly like no more than just really good SSLR stuff, paired with cubemaps. Overall, the standard current-gen affair. But then 4:40 caught my attention. Here the player sees the reflection of a off-screen enemy on a flat white wall running away (very small). Maybe it's using elipsoid proxys much like in The Order, but here, blocking the screen-space and cubemap rays. I'd guess they do a single raytrace agaist all that at once (screenspace > proxies > cubemap)
The player's own reflection on the floor at 4:52 also got me curious. Are they also doing a few plannar reflections here and there? That'd be the most feature full reflection system on a realtime game to date...
Interesting stuff.

Back