[PS3] Modnation Racers

This vid looks more inviting than the beta. However, having played the beta I'd need to hear LOTS of good things and play a demo before i could be interested again.

Ha, see what I mean ? Don't do a public beta until you're ready, or unless you can evolve your software quickly.

Anyone else totally put off by the game's art style? It's a really weird blend of cutesy and, hm, don't know, edgy? (or trendy/cool/whatever. Hard to describe)

I find Modnation Racers' art style a little awkward too. What turned me around a little is the user generated characters. They look more interesting than the generic/templated ones in the trailer.

I wish that the Play, Create, Share aspects were merged with a cooler mythos - say the classic "Rock N' Roll Racing" universe. Not too thrilled with the generic cart racing look, this isn't being released on the Wii.

Off-topic but it also seems about time for someone to do a Marble Madness take on the LBP approach.

Cheers

Gah... If they are going after Play, Create, Share, they may not want to be as specific as Rock n Roll. The creators will flesh out the idea without The dev's influence !

GDC interview:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/15/interview-modnation-racers-dan-sochan/

Joystiq: What's new about the code we're seeing today at GDC?

Dan Sochan, producer, ModNation Racers: There's the four-player split-screen, two-player online split-screen, and we've also announced and have been showing off more of the single player career. We kept the story of the single player career mode quite light.

Four-player split-screen has only been recently introduced. How long ago was that feature planned?

It's something we'd always hoped for. We got a lot of feedback from the public beta; this is something people really, really wanted. So, we upped the priority on it and dedicated a core number of our programmers just to focus on optimizations and what they could do. So it's come online in the past month, month and a half, and it's all we're playing in the office nowadays. Lots, and lots of trash talk.

[... talks about lessons learned from the beta ...]

The big news at GDC this year was the Move controller. Is that something ModNation Racers might feature in some way?

It's something we're really excited about. We realized we wanted to focus on the core racing for this part of the game with the SIXAXIS controller, but we do want to investigate it for the future. We just see a lot of cool ways of implementing it. Grabbing the terrain with the motion controller and literally pulling it up and stretching it out to make mountains, or push it in with the Z-axis to cut in and make water and ravines. And then, giving a spray painting job to your car itself. Or moving around decals on your character. There's a lot of fun implementations.

You mentioned a lot of ways of implementing motion into creation, but what about racing? You couldn't use it like a wheel, or else your hands would cover the orb.

We'll have to play with it and see. Other than a full proper wheel, I haven't seen a lot of good implementations of racing games using motion controllers or things like that. We'll definitely look into it: if it's good, we'll put it in, if it's not, we'll focus more on the creation side.

Are there any plans to implement any PlayStation Home connectivity?

Yes, we will be doing some integration into PlayStation Home, and we'll be talking a little more about that in about a month or so.

ModNation Racers Release Date, Pre-Orders and Box Art!

- May 25
- Lots of Pre-order bonuses
- Awesome cover :mrgreen:

4435255485_86ec378131.jpg

4435255885_367d1a4609.jpg

United Front talks about Split-screen gaming on Modnation Racer:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/23/modnation-racers-ps3-bringing-back-the-split-screen/

There are two multiplayer experiences that we were keen to deliver in ModNation Racers. First, there was the online race experience (up to 12 players), while the second was the couch racing experience.

From the start, we wanted our two-player split-screen to work online. ModNation Racers enables you and a friend to go online and play the game together.

Finally, we decided to deliver the four-player couch experience. This was a lot of work, but we have managed to create a great experience where four friends can settle down for some great kart racing.

This and Joe Danger are making me jealous... for the kids I mean. The "kids" would love these games ::ahem::

anyone else get a PSP demo code? I tried it on the UK PSN but I think this is for a US account...I don't want to waste the code, does anyone know if it will be locked to registered PSPs - and if it is, can I temporarily switch my PSP from my UK account to a US account and then back again without major issues?

thanks in advance for any input

Missed this Ars Technica article earlier on:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...taking-down-mario-kart-feautre-by-feature.ars

In a nutshell, they think it's comparable to Mario Kart.

ModNation Racers, Sony's upcoming racing game, may not make a big deal about going after Nintendo's best-selling franchise, but there is some competition going on. We've had a preview build of the PSP game for a while now, and yes... this is a big leap forward for the kart-racing genre.

ModNation Racers for the PSP will be released alongside the PS3 version on May 25. Mario Kart finally has a worthy competitor.

Back