[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

I think finer control over some gameplay features would be important, too. Being able to tweak a level's gravity, perhaps, or just sackboy's gravity.

Yes, making the current tools more stable, flexible and refined is definitely a top priority right after launch.

There's a lot that could be added without really changing the nature of the game. Pickup objects and action buttons could go a long way. eg. Pick up a sword and SB can swing it, pick up a lasso and he can swing, pick up a gun and fire. That would vary the depth of gameplay. And yes, changing parameters would add more variety too. However, the meat of LBP as a realtime game-creator may be limited, without a change to the rendering engine. It's kinda like 16bit gaming brought to the masses. Which in itself would be amazing, especially if opened up with top-down mechanics. The idea that, with all those games you played, you could design your own without needing to know a lick of programming, would be an amazing accomplishment! Allow for user meshes and textures, and let SB be switched out for some other protagonist or vehicle, and many games could be recreated. The period post-Wolfenstein, and non-action genres (sims and strategies) will remain off-limits though. If MM want to expand the notion, they'll either need independent products, or a restructured engine (for next gen!).

Is it harder than Mario? Does Mario have fewer sections where you go 'I'd rather not do this again'? That's what I'm wondering, insofar as even casuals are used to something when it comes to platformers I guess.

It's hard for me to say, as this boils down to expectations. I think Mario is harder, certainly, but I also more readily accept that I suck at Mario and I've just never really liked his games. I do like LBP, I do like sackboy. I got a much stronger Sonic vibe, for some reason (the last few levels particularly). But I would've thought to compare against Kirby or Yoshi's Island, which are just really easy in terms of platforming, and sorta what I was expecting.

However, the meat of LBP as a realtime game-creator may be limited, without a change to the rendering engine. It's kinda like 16bit gaming brought to the masses. Which in itself would be amazing, especially if opened up with top-down mechanics. The idea that, with all those games you played, you could design your own without needing to know a lick of programming, would be an amazing accomplishment! Allow for user meshes and textures, and let SB be switched out for some other protagonist or vehicle, and many games could be recreated. The period post-Wolfenstein, and non-action genres (sims and strategies) will remain off-limits though. If MM want to expand the notion, they'll either need independent products, or a restructured engine (for next gen!).

The move to 3D will also complicate tools and usage. Personally, I prefer them to nail the 2.5D game first and then popularize it to the masses. The show is not over until "everyone" in the world gets to experience it once. I believe they can simplify the current tools further if based on 2.5D "only".

EDIT: They also need to revisit and sort out the user-generated content policies in the mean time.

Servers are up in NA.

Edit: Tons of user levels, they load fast. You can win prizes and trophies. There is also a start rating system and you can chose a word to describe the level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game on for British developers - LBP sequel in the works

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7688800.stm

Alex Evans said soon after releasing the LBP beta it was stumbling across the first user-created levels that were better than the ones designed by the professionals.

LittleBigPlanet has big potential. Right now it is just a game but the firm, with Sony, are in talks to turn it into a franchise that could mean spin offs including comics, cartoons, and action figures as well as a publishing platform itself for other brands' content.

Evans says: "There's been a lot of being in the right place at the right time. When we went to Sony we were a tiny but very experienced team. Sony had to trust in us in terms of the quality of people.
"It was amazing how much they understood what was a new concept; it was quite blue sky."

Even before the game has hit the shops, the team are already at work on a sequel.

If so, the sequel should be 2.5D based; or they are talking about LBP PSP.

They could easily rerelease LBP with the best user made levels on the disk for those that don't go online. I think something like this is the reason why Sony recently made a change to the user agreements, that they have the right to sell user made content.

Just got my LBP from the store.

I think they should give a discount to people who buy the physical disc and then the PSN version (for free even or just covering the download cost). Once my new HDD gets installed tonight, I would love to have LBP and R1 permanently on my HDD.

Just got my LBP from the store.

I think they should give a discount to people who buy the physical disc and then the PSN version (for free even or just covering the download cost). Once my new HDD gets installed tonight, I would love to have LBP and R1 permanently on my HDD.

If i a big game was made for PSN this would be it, but i think Sony would like to spread the love to the brick and mortar shops, hopefully they pickup on your idea, but it would still require a Disc Check :)

They could easily rerelease LBP with the best user made levels on the disk for those that don't go online. I think something like this is the reason why Sony recently made a change to the user agreements, that they have the right to sell user made content.
I haven't actually read the new agreement yet, but from what I heard, it didn't sound like Sony could sell your work without you getting any money. Copyright remains yours, but you're not allowed to make money from it without Sony's permission.

I think it's better for Sony to push download content as a reason to get people online. Once people are happy going online, they'll be potential customers for media and advertising. Offline PS3 owners are less profitable.

I haven't actually read the new agreement yet, but from what I heard, it didn't sound like Sony could sell your work without you getting any money. Copyright remains yours, but you're not allowed to make money from it without Sony's permission.

Yeah, someone in GAF brought this up.

In general, if the creator wants money for his work, he'll need to negotiate with Sony anyway for qualification and the compensation model.

If he/she simply embeds his work into a LBP level without telling Sony or without explicit agreement about the compensation model, then Sony should not be liable to pay him. In the general case, it doesn't make sense for Sony to pre-commit to a blanket compensation model.

So it's better to lay the foundation for free (re)distribution of user generated content as per the user agreement (so that the entire community can enjoy the work). And then have a separate case-by-case, service-by-service or application-by-application model for user compensation where appropriate.

I think the groundwork was very much hedging bets. There's some debate as to whether the agreement is legally valid in the UK, as it's said that her you cannot sign over your rights to everything in one deal. You'd need to transfer rights on a case-by-case basis. I think the moment money is involved selling creator's work, it'll need a proper system. IMO the agreement was more to avoid backdoor/grey market sales. eg. an LBP creator makes a name for themselves, and decides to start charging for content by creating password levels or distributing key objects to friends or something.

Incidentally, the sticker-keys thing puzzles me, in that we can't add our own stickers, right? So we can't actually create parts of a level where the player needs a key from a previous level we created! This whole mechanic seems broken.

And my first impressions come framed in expecting a much more forgiving game, which is what had been suggested in all the previews! It's not that hard to understand. Isn't it supposed to be a game that you can play with your non-gamer girlfriend? And I can definitely see it, but you'll want to pick and choose and avoid a quantity of MM's story missions.

Excellent. Good thing I've been saying all along that this is in reference to the story mode. I fully believe that with user-generated content will be the saving grace; I think users will design the polished game experience I expected from MM, using in no small part the expertly-designed contraptions and level segments provided by MM. Again, I think MM dropped the ball on this. It's still good, but the greatest value I see is in a design template for user levels.

(Also, complaining about subjectivity in an impressions thread strikes me as odd.)

Uniqueness is great; I don't think it's strong enough a quality to give a game a pass if other, more important aspects are lacking. Again, who is this game for? I had the distinct impression it was a game for 'everyone', along the lines of say, Wii Sports.

Your dismissive attitude, though, again reinforces my sacred cow comment: all you guys are hearing is 'wah wah the game is too hard lbp sucks'. And I'm not saying that at all.

It was more the arrogance with which you slammed those who disagree with you. Oh and the fact you wrote off the game's impact amongst casuals, purely on the basis of its single-player mode. I also note that you appear to suggest that users will create superior levels than MM, which I think is debateable; it could be that those creating levels are fun to play, but that users unable to find the balance that MM have, given many will have nothing like their experience in game design. In any case, it'll likely take some time. The great thing is that MM have said they'll support the game with dlc.

And once again you've reduced yourself to the level of insults, which tells me that you have a problem with other people offering a different opinion, and that replying to you in any great detail is a waste of time.

I think the groundwork was very much hedging bets. There's some debate as to whether the agreement is legally valid in the UK, as it's said that her you cannot sign over your rights to everything in one deal. You'd need to transfer rights on a case-by-case basis. I think the moment money is involved selling creator's work, it'll need a proper system. IMO the agreement was more to avoid backdoor/grey market sales. eg. an LBP creator makes a name for themselves, and decides to start charging for content by creating password levels or distributing key objects to friends or something.

Incidentally, the sticker-keys thing puzzles me, in that we can't add our own stickers, right? So we can't actually create parts of a level where the player needs a key from a previous level we created! This whole mechanic seems broken.

I think I could create a sticker using the eyetoy, for instance, and you can then give that away as an object, that you can use. I also recall winning a Jeff Green sticker in one user created level in the beta.

If I remember correctly, you got a key for every published level. You could give that key away in another level to give them access to the second level.

Back