[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

I think the groundwork was very much hedging bets. There's some debate as to whether the agreement is legally valid in the UK, as it's said that her you cannot sign over your rights to everything in one deal. You'd need to transfer rights on a case-by-case basis. I think the moment money is involved selling creator's work, it'll need a proper system. IMO the agreement was more to avoid backdoor/grey market sales. eg. an LBP creator makes a name for themselves, and decides to start charging for content by creating password levels or distributing key objects to friends or something.

Incidentally, the sticker-keys thing puzzles me, in that we can't add our own stickers, right? So we can't actually create parts of a level where the player needs a key from a previous level we created! This whole mechanic seems broken.
You can create a sticker with the eyetoy, or with a photo you've taken in the game. Any image you like can be a sticker. You could use a hard to find sticker from the game, that you can give out to people in your level to use.

Picked this up at lunch. Got 2 friends coming over to play with the wife and I tonight. I'll post some thoughts later!

You can create a sticker with the eyetoy, or with a photo you've taken in the game. Any image you like can be a sticker. You could use a hard to find sticker from the game, that you can give out to people in your level to use.
It's a shame that you can't import pictures from your HDD. The eyetoy restriction seems also created to sell some extra peripherals on the side.

I don't think that's the primary objective. Traditionally, if a game requires a peripheral, Sony has always been willing to bundle the hardware with the game.

In my view, the PS Eye restriction is more to address copyright issues.

But it is still possible to violate copyrights with the eye toy although with imagery of less quality then pictures from a hdd.

Yes, but the user has to take explicit action to "steal" it. The quality is also lower (ouch). Sony may be off the hook.

... which brings me to the next question. Does the PS3 work with PC USB webcam ? If it does, shouldn't we be able to import higher res images into the game ?

Actually a fair few webcams work with the XMB, but I don't know if that necessarily means they're supported by LBP as well.

Has anyone else had trouble connecting to the LBP servers?

Yes, all sorts of trouble. It works infrequently and more often than not, you're stuck with a frozen screen as it tries to connect. I tried playing through the single player while connected and it wasn't great. I ended up signing out of PSN and resuming. I'll give Sony and MM a week or so to smooth things out and get their servers back to a playable state before giving it another shot.

Despite the online shortcomings so far, this is a fantastic game. Very impressed through and through with pretty much every facet.

... which brings me to the next question. Does the PS3 work with PC USB webcam ? If it does, shouldn't we be able to import higher res images into the game ?
If you compare LBP grabs with EyeCreate grabs, it's clear the game is messing about with the images, and it's not a hardware fault.

As for the servers, they've been switched off to fix the bugs. Eurogamer is your best place for all things LBP - they add at least 3 LBP headlines every day even when there's nothing to report :p

Back