[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

patsu

Legend
Saw the article here, rushed down to Target this morning. It's too late. Sony has already gotten to them. The POS system refused to ring it up.

Save your trip to Target and Walmart. They have probably kept the copies now (at least the one I visited did so before I left :( ).

In any case, I also noticed a few people on my friends list playing LBP (ahem, deepbrown). So might be time to start a thread ? If not, Shifty can lock it until D-day.

Please don't discuss religions here. I have seen at least 2 new articles out regarding the Qur'an saga. One focused on creative rights by Jasser, and one from Toumani Diabate (the band who wrote the song). You should be able to find them on google, and talk about them elsewhere.

I got mine last Weds, but I've been playing Saints Row 2 and R2 beta mostly.

I'm on the third world, South America. The game is cute, but it's not a kiddy game. It can be hard and frustrating. I want to try co-op mode online and see what levels users can make, I was not in the beta.

My kids love this game, while they are a little young to play it, they can watch it. The music and graphics are stellar.

I really like this African song in the second world, I really hope they don't patch it out of my copy.

I really loved the content creation , however I was less than impressed with the controls. This plus the delay has made me cancel my preorder. There are just way to many games for me to play this fall. However I will eagerly await the febuary time zone when I pick this up. There should be oodles of awsome content made by the fans.

I have to admit, this is one console game i'm seriously jealous about. If it were on the 360 I would probably pick it up (and I don't buy any games for the 360 any more).

I'd love to hear from Deepbrown what exciting things we'll come across in the creation side that weren't present in the beta. Is there loads more, or a smattering more?

O.K. Here goes a small description.

Visually the game looks better than in the Beta. The textures are ever so slightly sharper...and of course more varied. They've done a hell of a job creating realisitc textures for the game. I am especially in love with a metalic Aztec material.

As for tools - the swiches and stirng etc that were in the Beta - that's your lot (for now). But for the things you can use - materials, objects,...lights. The beta was about 10%.

You've got loads of new materials to use to create your level...including new stained glass window colours.

You've got a whole host of different lights to mess aroun with - spotlights, candles, LED lights, hanging lights. Dyanamic lights here we come!

Objects wise - you will earn so mcuh during the campaigns (as well as stickers, costumes and amazing decorations to staple to everything - you can put quite a lot on your little Sackboy). Over 50 different items per level - and there are 25 main levels. I have mechanical doors, all the boss's. I have realistic dolls bits, animals, a teddy bear, a realstic rubber pirana with joints, an octobpussus tectical with joints, a rubber snake - most of these aren't even used by Media Molecule (or from what I could see). A mechanical walking hand, a walking elephent, a realistic wooden elephants head. You win whole sections of the game - the puzzles, the traps...you'll find them in your inventry after finishing levels.

I'm sorry to say that I think the sticking and unsticking faux pars are still in the game. But I didn't expect it not to be - I knew the game had gone Gold, so all my criticisms from the Beta - I was expecting them to be fixed in a Day 1 patch. So I hope they will.

Framerate's better. Levels get amazingly good - so complex, interesting and inspiring. 25 main levels...40 or so mini levels (there's a helicopter one...wlel like the game "Helicopter" you can play on PC's).

I'm sorry to say that I think the sticking and unsticking faux pars are still in the game. But I didn't expect it not to be - I knew the game had gone Gold, so all my criticisms from the Beta - I was expecting them to be fixed in a Day 1 patch. So I hope they will.

I thought it was interesting that you could use some buttom combinations to determine to what you stick something. Isn't it possible to do the same when unsticking? I haven't delved into that too deeply yet, and then the beta stopped.

What button combinations? That's the first I've heard of that. I did notice a difference between a tap of a button and a hold, and I thought on occasions I separated a stuck-on object from the rest without disrupting the rest, but I never tested it or confirmed anything. There certanly did appear to be extra 'hidden' functions though.

Edit : 300 pages of guide might have some tips.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mediamolecule/2963523195/in/set-72157608261926378/
...or might just be level walkthroughs.

I agree with Sony's position purely from the point of view of supporting user generated content. IMHO, the host needs to be committed to some simple community principles. It has to be very clear where they stand on various issues. Then, they can lobe people's heads off when they create controversial content (At least it is understandable to them when the actions are taken). At the same time, Sony can also rely on the users to moderate themselves based on what they understood as (simple) community principles.

EDIT: On top of these principles, they can then allow group-based sharing. e.g., Adult-oriented or special interest themes can be supported via closed groups. The muslim players will know how to share Qur'an related themes without offending special interest groups. Given the right user tools, they would be able to change it without Sony stepping it.

I thought it was interesting that you could use some buttom combinations to determine to what you stick something. Isn't it possible to do the same when unsticking? I haven't delved into that too deeply yet, and then the beta stopped.

Hm? All I know is that you have to push objects together to stick them. So if they're on a different plane you need to hold down R2 so the object you're sticking it to goes red. I have no idea about unsticking. But I just tried unsticking a door both paused and unpaused...and most of the structure fell down :/

Great news if true !

v1.01 patch is out. According to here, the song remains. They may have edited out the offending part (instead of removing the song entirely).

LittleBigPlanet has seen it’s first patch this morning for anyone with the game already (or at least the European version) taking the game to version 1.01. Interestingly, it appears the song in question is still there, we’re assuming they’ve removed, censored or looped around the troublesome content, though.

Are you saying the 1.01 patch is not the "censor" patch ? (i.e., There will be a 1.02 that removes the song ?)

Back