[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

I have the same issues with the game, like Shifty said!!
It is sometimes a brutally difficult game!!
And if I would have not played the game online coop with my buddy, I would have discard the game about after 25% of the SP missions! Sometimes we tried the same scene about one million times (they could have at least give the gamer infinite amount of respawn!!!, After 3-5 deaths, you have to restart the whole start all over again - in regard of this, I think that this game is more suited to the hardcore crowd).
And the reason is the somehow exaggagerated physics, which makes precise jumping sometimes impossible (especially if you are coop-ing: the first who jumps has the "clean" situation, but the second one really needs luck!)

Did you manage to finish all SP missions (especially this wheel of death stuff)?

Yes, LBP is a hardcore platforming game. It can be punishing. Looks is deceiving here.

But kids can still love it. It's the #1 game for my 5 year old. #2 is SingStar. He plays the game by himself. He can beat levels I failed at.

I think the appeal is the cute characters and small user created levels. There are a lot of levels he could clear easily. Those encourage him. There are a handful that are madly difficult. Those he will attempt and sometimes give up.

I also see him wander into the Create mode to fool around. I am leaving it totally up to him to discover. No hints from Daddy. I have a feeling some day I will see a level from him.

Wow, I should remind my kids how hard this game is! lol
It really seems that your kids are better gamers compared to me...
But with all your arguements how easy LBP is...you cannot deny that the other platformer (R&C) is much easier and much gamer friendly...I suppose that your kids would play through R&C without using hands, just their feet :mrgreen:

But I'm talking about all sorts of players from kids to adults and not 'core gamers'. LBP's gameplay should not be frustrating to 9 year olds who represent a core part of the overall family demographic. Indeed, this is where sixaxis should have been applied more effectively. You watch players wanting to jump higher instinctively throwing the control upwards as they jump, their arm movements becoming more and more exaggerated as they try to urge Sackboy to do what they want him to do, but the physics engine limits their height due to the huge impact of vertical moment. eg. Walking off a rounded-edged platform as jumping greatly decreases jump-height versus jumping from level, because of the impact of the downwards momentum infered from traversing the sloped edge. Jumping from moving/wobbling platforms was extremely hit and miss. The ideal gamplay would have used casual input to aid control and smoothed out the physical impact of moving platforms, superceding any overall physics calculations. This would have seen the game generate more smiles and less frowns. As it was, the final game hid a few nasty, unexpected thorns despite its beguiling exterior. Version 2 needs to address this to become real progress.

Every game has frustrating moments...even Mario! I agree about the controller thing - it's be a neat implementation, however I could see levels being desinged to take that into account - so you'd end up with the same problems. You are right - tighter controls with less of a floaty feel might work...it was nice to play something fresh tho rather than YAP.

Yes, LBP is a hardcore platforming game. It can be punishing. Looks is deceiving here.

But kids can still love it. It's the #1 game for my 5 year old. #2 is SingStar. He plays the game by himself. He can beat levels I failed at.

I think the appeal is the cute characters and small user created levels. There are a lot of levels he could clear easily. Those encourage him. There are a handful that are madly difficult. Those he will attempt and sometimes give up.

I also see him wander into the Create mode to fool around. I am leaving it totally up to him to discover. No hints from Daddy. I have a feeling some day I will see a level from him.

indeed, it's why the user content is so good, the game just keeps giving - the kids find levels all the time and can easily skip hard ones.

But with all your arguements how easy LBP is...you cannot deny that the other platformer (R&C) is much easier and much gamer friendly...I suppose that your kids would play through R&C without using hands, just their feet :mrgreen:

lol, did you check out my youtube vid to see how easy the bunker is? ;)

R&C is indeed a much easier game - I guess what LBP offers is as much easy or hard gaming as you want, I honestly didn't get stuck completing levels, just aceing them all was tough. However I am a bit of a gaming numpty and the kids have helped me out on other games as much as I've helped them on LBP!! LMAO

indeed, it's why the user content is so good, the game just keeps giving - the kids find levels all the time and can easily skip hard ones.

I have watched it, but it is basically the way we did it - but I still think that this is difficult: the jumps at the outmost circle of the wheel...for me this was difficult as hell, I typically got stuck at one of the ostacles and then had no time left...

No, my kid can't play R&C. His hands are not big enough to wrap around the controller for some of the UI actions (e.g., weapon wheel).

LBP control area is just barely small enough for his little hands. He loves R&C though.

lol, did you check out my youtube vid to see how easy the bunker is?
That you were in sync with the Bunker is great, but for most other people that was one f the most annoying things ever in gaming. Contorl in the Ring of Death was a nightmare, purely due to the physics effect on control. If you got a couple of slight missteps, the result would snowball into an uncontrollable panic until the respawn. And then the deaths. And then the start-the-game-over-all-over-again. Media Molecule even apologised for putting the level in, it's recognised as being that cruel!

That you were in sync with the Bunker is great, but for most other people that was one f the most annoying things ever in gaming. Contorl in the Ring of Death was a nightmare, purely due to the physics effect on control. If you got a couple of slight missteps, the result would snowball into an uncontrollable panic until the respawn. And then the deaths. And then the start-the-game-over-all-over-again. Media Molecule even apologised for putting the level in, it's recognised as being that cruel!

I think your status of LittleBigMod should be revoked! :p

Yes, I guess I was just lucky to stumble on the 'walking on the ceiling', that level was extremely hard, but just that level...but yes, you're right about the snowball effect, it happened on the outer ring quite a bit - in fact I think I almost lost it during filming.

*edit* just re-watched, that last bit I very nearly lost it...however the principle is that using my method the bunker is a lot easier than it was designed to be

I'm honestly no fan of the last 2 level in LBP. I didn't got struck at the "Wheel O' Death" but its the other areas that annoyed me as hell.
The totally physics based control doesn't always works right, sometimes my character will just slide from the platform due to the momentum. And its really tough when you have to jump from a small platform to another barely wide enough for your sackboy to stand. And the 'start all over again' is just wrong, considering some places take a lot of tries to get through.

A game like this shouldn't have such difficulty....cause I didn't bought LBP for challenging gameplay.

And its really tough when you have to jump from a small platform to another barely wide enough for your sackboy to stand.
Yes, the mid-air counter-steer needed to nullify forward momentum prior to landing is what I consider an advanced gaming skill. I managed to readapt to it from similar 16bit platforms I played, but friends who may be good at other games had trouble adapting. Maybe they'd learn eventually, but we're not into gaming to learn stuff! My poll results show these days we don't want as much of a challenge as quick and easy fun to fit into busier lives.

:oops: I'm a big fan of LBP. I just think it missed the mark in a couple of areas that would have made it The Bestest Game Evar! which I hope are addressed in LBP2.

I am also curious in ModNation Racer if they can solve the framerate issue. It _should_ be easier to pick up than LBP.

Framerate > prettiness in racing games for me. I wanted to like Sega Allstar Racing but the framerate really made it quite unplayable....

Apparently there are more things happening - LBP could become part of a new US government initiative. See Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/obama-using-lbp-to-re-energise-schooling

STEM is different though part of the same initiative LBP as referenced by patsu and you is used for the Digital Media and Learning Competition, I do not believe it has been slated for anything outside of that as far as the initiative goes.

The submissions are in:

Finalists:
http://www.dmlcompetition.net/finalists.php

Rules:
http://www.dmlcompetition.net/game_changers.php

LittleBigPlanet™ (LBP™) and Spore™ Galactic Adventures

LBP™ levels and Spore™ adventures will be judged in accordance with the following criteria:
Content: levels and adventures will be evaluated on the extent to which they engage and/or leverage STEM content.

Assessment: levels and adventures will be evaluated on the extent to which the learning goals of the level are met through play.

Playability: levels and adventures will be evaluated on their playability, to include scaffolding of challenge, clarity of game play goals, and feedback. All levels must be beatable by an average player.

Engage young people in creating the game-based learning experiences for others?

Problem-solving: levels and adventures will be evaluated on the extent to which they support problem-solving and player-led inquiry.

Aesthetics: levels and adventures will be evaluated on aesthetics, to include use of stickering, audio, lighting, and object creation. All levels must be fully textured to be considered for judging.

Collaborative play (LBP™ only): levels will be evaluated on the extent to which they support meaningful collaborative play.

Active Submissions:
http://www.dmlcompetition.net/pligg/index.php

One of the Gaffer's submissions (He's a finalist):
http://www.dmlcompetition.net/pligg/story.php?title=457

EDIT:
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=21107970&postcount=17200

donkey show said:
Holy shit...

I just got word I'll be heading out to Washington D.C. for the winners event for the 2010 Digital Media Learning Competition for my STEM Cell Sackboy project. We might meet some senior White House officials there... c'mon Obama!

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!! :D :D :D

So they will be covering ethical issues. With Sackboy. And cardboard. And happy coloured light and cheery music. Okay, I'm all for broadening audiences, but is LBP really the right forum for talking about hard issues? I suddenly feel compelled to create a level about racial genocide. Seriously, green Sackboys slapping blue Sackboys around isn't funny!

Back