[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by patsu, Oct 21, 2008.

1. tha_con

Banned

I don't think that's really necessary at this point. The Netcode in LBP was extremely good for what it had to do. It was far more demanding than something as simple as a shooter.

You realize that every big platformer since Mario on the NES had momentum based jumping and landing, right? Running faster allows you to jump further. There was nothing wrong with the jumping in LBP.

2. patsu

Legend

If it's more demanding, then they should tailor the netcode further to its needs. Otherwise 4P LBP2 will be very laggy.

3. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

What I wanted to say was that they should do away with momentum that's done 100% through the game's physics engine. It was one of the main reason for the odd difficulty that LBP had, If you don't agree then you are just ignoring the obvious :smile:

4. patsu

Legend

I agree they should tweak the SackBoy's momentum/physics somehow. Sometimes the space SackBoy lands on is too small to accommodate the momentum.

However, some of the user generated levels have mechanics (puzzles) that rely on it. e.g., climb/swing *upwards* an inverse slope, or fling up and down on a vertical pendulum to gather momentum and then jump.

Perhaps they should let the level designer decide or adjust ?

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It's practically broken off moving platforms due to inertia producing unpredictable results, requiring players to attempt the same jump over and over and trusting as much to luck that this time it'll work. The fix would be to have Sackboy apply inertia to objects still, but adjust the gravitational effect, so that when a floor is dropping beneath a dropping Sackboy, they can still jump the expected one-large-block amount.

6. deepbrown

Veteran

"So for everything from the crucial question of content discovery to the not-so-little matter of how Sackboy should move - short answer, the floaty jump should no longer be a problem, as you can tweak all aspects of his movements, from his stickiness to his inertia, in the Popit menu"

=)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0T5l24JL0

7. inefficient

Veteran

But I loved the floaty jump!

8. goonergaz

Veteran

OMG! I'm in love all over again!

9. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Mee too - I just saw the top down racers, beyond awesome. :) The being able to program your own controls for vehicles is brilliant. This is one of the few games where we've sat around thinking about the ideal improvements to it, and then the next version has almost everything that we want. Brilliant stuff.

My first reaction on Eurogamer exactly :D

10. patsu

Legend

Digital Media Learning Competition winners announced:
    http://dmlcompetition.net/year_3/winners.php?comp=gc

The above link contains all the winners (LBP and Spores).

One of the winners lists all the LBP winners here:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396537

11. patsu

Legend

Found this interesting Zone of the Enders test level in GAF:

It's created by one of the DMLC winners.

12. goonergaz

Veteran

it's amazing what people have done with LBP - just imagine (or try to!) what people will do with LBP2!!

13. messyman

Regular

14. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

This is a seriously awesome interview! Alex is very frank about his thinking processes, and they very much match my own. Some important discoveries at the Irradiance Slice technique did not get used in LBP! He's included some of the lighting ideas from that. Comparing LBP screens to LBP2's, you can see the marked difference that irradiance slices really makes, and it is truly stunning. Then there's MLAA, just dropped in from the GOW3 code. There's also a level designer who created a Pop-It interface in game; that's a huge amount of UI that can be created by creators! :shocked:

Interesting about the thermometer too. That suggests that where it may be nearing the limit, you could actually start throwing in more content as long as it's different, as the thermometer only shows the worst-case variable. Thus lots of bots may make it look like you can't add more objects or materials, but quite possibly you could.

15. patsu

Legend

I like these parts:

16. patsu

Legend

Everyone will have your own personal webpage on LBP2:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/16/more-littlebigplanet-2-community-features-lbp-me-functionality/

17. Scott_Arm

Legend

My favourite part in that tech interview is where they talk about keeping their code small and simple, making sure things work in a uniform way, rather than having corner case optimizations, even if things are a little slower.

18. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Here's a nice small stage demo of LBP showing a crazy 3D Rez homage level. It's not just that the level (created by one of the users who makes great LBP1 levels) is amazing however - what's even cooler is that he goes into create mode to show some of how it's done. And that's ... :shock:

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266342/?hd=1

Do we need an LBP 2 thread, by the way?

19. patsu

Legend

20. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

OMG!!! :shock: