[PS3] Demon Souls

You're right. It's going open level, better online, more action (jet pack, melee), more destruction, plus 3D together.

The open level does not promise more interesting gameplay/interaction. Online is under-wrapped.

From the marketing material, I get the feeling that they are working very hard on the (720-targeted) 3D visuals and set pieces (which I like), but am worried that they get carried away. The press demo dwelt on 3D, jet pack, explosions/destructions and melee, which is expected. The actual combat/gunfight mechanics became secondary. I hope they don't forget about basic stuff like enemy AI (teamwork ?), pacing, level design, gunplay, etc.

EDIT: Oh yes, they did talk about revamped aiming. Will have to see how they manage everything together.

That maybe more due to the nature of presentations, it's more difficult to show off good enemy AI and level design, compact to 3D and jetpacks and such. KZ2 already had some good AI and level design. So I'm not worried. Hopefully we'll get a better look at those things at GamesCom.

In comparison, DS is about very basic exploration, encounter and reward system. There is not much fanciful visual effects. The nice looking things (e.g., the bosses, environmental hazards like the dragons) are all interactive and "touchable" by the character, just like everything else in the game. Little details are overflowing with "personality": from the way the NPCs behave, to every single combat move, every step taken (Look, messages on the floor and white ghosts everywhere !), and death.

Yeah, that persistent world feel, like everything had a history to it, was wonderful in DS. That may be hard to match in a shooter, but it would be if more RPG's were like that. I might actually finish them for once.

It was Greatest Hits in Japan, now it's Greatest Hits. Period.

tH9Pu.jpg

Source: http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7956

Even though I'm not playing it anymore currently, I think about this game often still. The atmospherics, the design, the gameplay... bring me more Demon's Souls!

http://kotaku.com/5657675/demons-souls-celebrates-its-birthday-with-a-black--white-affair

Atlus USA is celebrating one year of Demon's Souls today—the "biggest success" in the publisher's two decade history—giving devotees of the dark, dismal role-playing game a pair of World Tendency events to enjoy and/or suffer through.

Starting today, Demon's Souls first birthday in North America, the Kingdom of Boletaria is going "pure white," which players of the PlayStation 3 game know is a nicer change of pace. That lasts until October 18, Atlus says, when the game's world switches to "pure black" for the rest of the month, ending on Halloween.

When Namco Bandai finally releases the game's successor, currently known as Project Dark, you're going to wish you had the practice. Trust me.

:LOL:

Speed Run !

One of my hard core gaming friends moved to New York and finally bought a PS3. He's suffering in this game now (muahahaha). Sent me XMB messages a couple of times to b*tch and beg for sympathy ["This game is... hard"]. Still see him playing last night though. :LOL:

He's exactly like this comics (Kept telling me how difficult the original Ninja Gaidan was):

4u78l5.jpg

EDIT:
All 4 of the Speed Run videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWi6t8Psv9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsUzM4rIATQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGAESIqgC08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6bm27VTis

Ha ha, yes. This one rings true for me too, but fortunately it turns out differently for me.

Demon's Souls is pretty much like real life to me. A lot of the dangers can be avoided via common sense and cowardice. ^_^

The World 5 grunts are slow and weak (although some have pretty powerful attack).

When I saw one charging towards me like that, I thought it must be pretty confident of its capability and ran the hack away, all the way back to second floor (and I didn't dare look back). :LOL: When I finally turned around and looked at the bridge, I realized that the thing was like twice my height. :mad: [curse at developers]

That's how I survived the game. That and ranged attack.

Yeah I am cheap. I know.

EDIT:
The PvP is too much sometimes. The thread added 2 new ones:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23968815&postcount=89
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23969226&postcount=90

The Demon’s Souls Effect On Atlus USA’s Profits:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/21/the-demons-souls-effect-on-atlus-usas-profits/

Index Holdings, the parent company of Atlus, released profit and loss figures for Atlus USA. The US subsidiary did significantly better in fiscal year 2010, the period between September 1, 2009 – August 31, 2010 (Persona style school year) compared to fiscal year 2009.

We’ll let these pictures key games in Atlus USA’s lineups and the numbers do the talking from here.

Index Holdings specifically points out strong sales of Demon’s Souls as a reason for the boost.

Guardian interviewed Demon's Souls developers:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/oct/28/games-ps3

DaveFalse: Which part of the game are you most proud of and which is your favourite level and/or boss?

HM: This is also a difficult question. What I am the most proud of is the fact that so many players accepted the style of Demon's Souls and enjoyed it.

My favourite stages are the Valley of Death and Latria. My favourite bosses are the Phalanx and the Adjudicator. I will let you imagine why I like those best…

DaveFalse:How long do you intend to keep the servers going for online play?

TK: In Japan and Asia, SCE is publisher of the game so we can decide what to do about the servers. But in the US and in Europe, there are different publishers so this has to be discussed with them. We have daily tracking of the number of players connected to the servers, so we will take this into account when we make a decision about them. But I can't tell how long they will stay online right now. If a lot of people keep playing online, we can keep the servers online.

Dominicorourke: When will I be able to use the PS Move to loose my arrows at skeletons?

HM: We don't have any plans for that at the moment.

FINAL QUESTION: Will there be a sequel?!

HM: I will let Mr Kaiji answer that question.

TK: At the moment, my answer is "no sequel!" However, we have been encouraged by all the players, and this title is so well supported, and besides we like this title so much… Well, this is my own feeling, but I think one day we could bring you another Demon's Souls...

For late comers, Demon's Souls going Pure White again starting 20th December:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/17/demons-souls-turns-pure-white-for-the-holidays/

The holidays are a time to rest and relax, even for the monsters in Boletaria. Demon’s Souls newcomers will get a break beginning on December 20th when the servers switch to pure white tendency. That means monsters will drop more healing items and you can scuffle with Miralda. Players will be safer from threats until just a little after the New Year.

Atlus also said they’re committed to keeping the Demon’s Souls servers online for "as long as they possibly can."

Just got the game a week or so ago. Wow. It started out as bad, but the more I play, the more it sort of grows on me. Just beat the armor spider boss after some serious grinding. Servers seem to be well populated too, judging by the sheer amount of those white ghosts running around. Haven´t had a PvP event or coop happening yet though I did see that blue text on the ground like once or twice. Didn´t go for it yet.

One thing though. I started playing as a mage... and I have a fireball spell and water veil spell. I start with 5 mana recharge items and thats it. No enemies drop mana potions. I have to buy them for 500 each... That is way too much, I need all the souls I can get to leveling up and healing herbs. I can´t seem to find anything that regenarates mana points either. I´ve just beaten the armor spider and the only way I could do that (to even get there) was to level up some strenght, vitality and dexterity so that I could manage as a melee fighter. Not ideal when I wanted to be a magic user.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right. It's going open level, better online, more action (jet pack, melee), more destruction, plus 3D together.

The open level does not promise more interesting gameplay/interaction. Online is under-wrapped.

From the marketing material, I get the feeling that they are working very hard on the (720-targeted) 3D visuals and set pieces (which I like), but am worried that they get carried away. The press demo dwelt on 3D, jet pack, explosions/destructions and melee, which is expected. The actual combat/gunfight mechanics became secondary. I hope they don't forget about basic stuff like enemy AI (teamwork ?), pacing, level design, gunplay, etc.

EDIT: Oh yes, they did talk about revamped aiming. Will have to see how they manage everything together.

In comparison, DS is about very basic exploration, encounter and reward system. There is not much fanciful visual effects. The nice looking things (e.g., the bosses, environmental hazards like the dragons) are all interactive and "touchable" by the character, just like everything else in the game. Little details are overflowing with "personality": from the way the NPCs behave, to every single combat move, every step taken (Look, messages on the floor and white ghosts everywhere !), and death.

It's been a while since I played but did you check the demon souls wiki?

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/home

Just got the game a week or so ago. Wow. It started out as bad, but the more I play, the more it sort of grows on me. Just beat the armor spider boss after some serious grinding. Servers seem to be well populated too, judging by the sheer amount of those white ghosts running around. Haven´t had a PvP event or coop happening yet though I did see that blue text on the ground like once or twice. Didn´t go for it yet.

One thing though. I started playing as a mage... and I have a fireball spell and water veil spell. I start with 5 mana recharge items and thats it. No enemies drop mana potions. I have to buy them for 500 each... That is way too much, I need all the souls I can get to leveling up and healing herbs. I can´t seem to find anything that regenarates mana points either. I´ve just beaten the armor spider and the only way I could do that (to even get there) was to level up some strenght, vitality and dexterity so that I could manage as a melee fighter. Not ideal when I wanted to be a magic user.

You need a Crescent weapon to regen mana. There is a free one in 4-1 guarded by a red-eyed black skeleton near the beginning. I'd say go for it. You only need to defeat 3 skeleton warriors and 2 skeleton archers to enter the castle. Turn left and on your left, you should see the black skeleton. Lure the black skeleton out and roll pass it. Grab the Crescent Falchion and jump down the slope. *Profit*

Be careful, the skeletons are good fighters and look out for traps.

Edit: you can also make Crescent weapons with Moon stones.

Edit 2: Pure magic users may find it hard to beat other human melee fighters in PvP. I remember Carl (xbd) completed the game with a pure magic user. might want to PM him for tips.

You need a Crescent weapon to regen mana.

Edit: you can also make Crescent weapons with Moon stones.

Oh... I had no idea. I have kind of grown attached to my short sword... but I already upgraded it to quality short sword. I don´t think I can upgrade it "sidewards" to a moon short sword(?)
I think I did pick up a crescent axe or something but didnt try it on. Probably I didn´t have enough strenght.
But I did find a tower level where a lot of spices are dropped so I can farm that :)

Originally Posted by 2real4tv View Post
It's been a while since I played but did you check the demon souls wiki?

That´s just awesome!

Oh... I had no idea. I have kind of grown attached to my short sword... but I already upgraded it to quality short sword. I don´t think I can upgrade it "sidewards" to a moon short sword(?)

What stones did you use ? Only one stone type per weapon I think.

I think I did pick up a crescent axe or something but didnt try it on. Probably I didn´t have enough strenght.
But I did find a tower level where a lot of spices are dropped so I can farm that :)

The axe is probably a two-handed weapon. If so, you can't equip a shield at the same time.

Get the Crescent Falchion if possible. It's quite easy if you can handle the skeletons (Need some practices).

There is also a Dragon Sword hidden in the 2-2 maze.

Are you in the Tower of Latria now ? World 3 is my most favorite world in DS, especially 3-1.

Get the Crescent Falchion if possible. It's quite easy if you can handle the skeletons (Need some practices).
It's quite incredible weapon for mages due to the bonus damage.
I could 'easily' run trough the skeletons with it.. ;)

Yes I´m in the tower of lantria but only to farm those spice drops and get some souls... once I think I have enough I will go to kill that dragon in the starting world after where I killed the phalanx :)

I wish I had played this two years ago, maybe would have liked the graphics more back then. Now I get to play this right after playing crysis 2 and uncharted 2 and it feels almost like a Playstation 2 game :D

Back