"Proper" MGS4 Teaser on PS3 confirmed for TGS

What personally keeps me coming back to this game is the story. I was hooked at MGS2 (I want to know what happens with all the loose ends...and the more important unanswered questions.). Gameplay is usually the same (even though the implementation of CQC in MGS3 did change up the hand to hand fighting ALOT).

Oh yeah

LA LI LU LE LO

;)

So...has MGS4 officially shutdown the show before it ever started?

Absolutely:

mgs4consoleover8na.jpg

Countesy of Manabyte, GA Resident.

That's great! Although I'm not very interested in the game (or genre for that matter), I too want to see the graphics, especially if they aren't some bs target renders.

Apparently the next Famitsu hits on Thursday, and some may even get it on Wednesday. So there'll probably be MGS4 stuff floating around the web before Friday..

It'll be interesting to see what it's like after all of Kojima's rather cryptic comments - wanting to focus on "what you can't see" etc. He's talked about really wanting to capture the psychological aspects of war, the trauma etc. At least from my hazy memory. Maybe we should gather together all of his comments on MGS4 to date? :p

~ idling time till TGS ~

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, the MGS2 trailer didn't show up till about a year after the PS2 was out, right? Even longer, I would imagine, so I question how impressive it will be. I dunno how much of a grasp they have on the hardware yet. We'll see something great, but I wonder how impressive it will be compared with later games. MGS2 still holds up, but I dunno how well MGS4 will.

It'll only need to be impressive looking now, doesn't matter how it will compare with second and third gen games.
I'm expecting more dynamic environments, possiby with destructible environments on much larger scale than what has been seen.
A GTA style city maybe as part of the game. For example you could hide behind cars and among people, but the car might drive off revealing you to the enemy etc...

rabidrabbit said:
It'll only need to be impressive looking now, doesn't matter how it will compare with second and third gen games.
I'm expecting more dynamic environments, possiby with destructible environments on much larger scale than what has been seen.
A GTA style city maybe as part of the game. For example you could hide behind cars and among people, but the car might drive off revealing you to the enemy etc...

This is exactly what kojima said, its not expectations...

ad btw I think MGS4 will be the best looking game ever, and we will see a lot of jaws dropping at this TGS 2005...best trailer ever...

Mefisutoferesu said:
I dunno, the MGS2 trailer didn't show up till about a year after the PS2 was out, right? Even longer, I would imagine, so I question how impressive it will be. I dunno how much of a grasp they have on the hardware yet. We'll see something great, but I wonder how impressive it will be compared with later games. MGS2 still holds up, but I dunno how well MGS4 will.

MGS4 will be far better looking than MGS3 and MGS2...at least we know that for sure, and at least this is relatively sufficient...

Uncle said:
That's great! Although I'm not very interested in the game (or genre for that matter), I too want to see the graphics, especially if they aren't some bs target renders.

Keep in mind, Kojima is prioritising things other than graphics with MGS4. He wants the environment to be "real" in that sense that he wants things to behave realistically rather than simply look realistic - he said before he could create a massive map that looked incredibly realisitc but was simply "fake", or alternatively a much smaller map that was "real", in terms of behaviour, but not necessarily as good looking as the first choice. And that he's looking more at the second choice than the first. I'm sure it'll look great, but it's true qualities may be elsewhere (simulation, dynamics, movement vs static good looks).

Yeah, that is true. Ii remember that article. Makes you wonder, maybe we are expecting a little too much? but like you said...
I'm sure it'll look great, but it's true qualities may be elsewhere (simulation, dynamics, movement vs static good looks).
I agree.
In the end I'm sure we will all be happier that Kojima isnt just focused on graphics alone like some titles, but also other areas that really show that it is "next gen".

that said, i still cant wait to see how great snake will look :p

If the "battlefield/warzone" hints from the E3 trailer are to be taken literally, this artwork might give a hint toward possible artstyle for MGS4:

shagohodart9af4ia.jpg

rex0236ax.jpg

Then again, maybe not, but it's interesting to think of the possibilities!

These are taken from Yoshiyuki Takani contributions to a book that came with the Twin Snakes Premium Pack in Japan. Provided by Simo on GAF.

Well, the way the storyline is progressing in the Metal Gear universe...I wouldn't be surprised to see Snake on a battlefield taking on multiple Metal Gears. Stealth + All out War sequences would totally just rock.

That artwork is really nice to....Shagohad and Metal Gear (Ray), I hope Kojima wows us with his trailer at TGS.

EDIT: I just read that Screen Shots of the trailer might be released as early as Wednesday (They will be in the form of scans of Famitsu). Appearently Famitsu will be giving out alot of information on MGS4 in their next issue...which obviously...comes out Wednesday....keep a look out!

Last edited by a moderator:
A war themed MGS4 will only be fantastic. MGS games didnt turn out well for pure stealth, it is always an action game with meticulous interactivity of the surroundings, like Zelda. Leave the sneaking to Sam, i prefer Snake to blow up armies of metal gears.

I still hope they won't make it too much "battle orientated" (like Killzone). MGS4 prime element always consisted of stealth and espionage - thinking of other ways to infiltrate the enemies base and get out. I don't think the controls of MGS would match too many enemies either (walk, stop, 1st person view, aim, fire - repeat), unless they change it of course, which I hope they don't... meh, I just loved MGS3. They could bring me this for the next 10 iterations and I'd still be happy. :smile:

There's an interview up on Jeux-France, seemingly just from E3 or the Liepzig convention, but he's asked about PS3 development and he says it's way too early to comment on it, that they're just on the beginning stages of MGS4 - scenarios, design etc. So that might indicate that we shouldn't expect to see too much of it at TGS..I'm guessing a very brief teaser.

And yes, Famitsu will have a "big update" on MGS4 according to IGN. Usually news from Famitsu filters through on Wednesday, so fingers crossed for tomorrow..

Phil said:
I still hope they won't make it too much "battle orientated" (like Killzone). MGS4 prime element always consisted of stealth and espionage - thinking of other ways to infiltrate the enemies base and get out. I don't think the controls of MGS would match too many enemies either (walk, stop, 1st person view, aim, fire - repeat), unless they change it of course, which I hope they don't... meh, I just loved MGS3. They could bring me this for the next 10 iterations and I'd still be happy. :smile:

I'm pretty sure Kojima mentioned that the new camera system in Subsistence is an indication. It's not all that bad. It should be as welcoming as RE4's new camera system. I guess depending on Subsistence's online mode success, we may see more action online as well. Splinter Cell's camera isn't fix, and I guess it work quite well. And if I remember correctly, the game would still be stealth, just don't get yourself caught or else you would have to fight. Which pretty much been done in previous installment (but I guess the AI would be a lot smarter to the point where you can't simply run around the corner and hide). Three to five more days.

- Z

I actually haven't seen anything of substistence yet (apart from reading a few interviews here and there about it). Could anyone be kind enough to link me to some video footage if there's any?

thanks in advance... :smile:

Kojima was quite explicit about that - the MGS3:S camera is a taste of things to come in MGS4. In fact, he said they were working on that camera for MGS4, but decided to put it in Subsistence to get feedback on it and improve on it for 4.

Titanio said:
There's an interview up on Jeux-France, seemingly just from E3 or the Liepzig convention, but he's asked about PS3 development and he says it's way too early to comment on it, that they're just on the beginning stages of MGS4 - scenarios, design etc. So that might indicate that we shouldn't expect to see too much of it at TGS..I'm guessing a very brief teaser.

And yes, Famitsu will have a "big update" on MGS4 according to IGN. Usually news from Famitsu filters through on Wednesday, so fingers crossed for tomorrow..

that interview is already old. i'v read that months ago

Back