Silent Hill [Various]

Roger Cobb

Regular
Well, Tokyo Game Show is starting tomorrow, or today if your time is now the 30th, and so there is a slim chance that one of Konami's unknown key projects could indeed be a revival of Silent Hill, aka gaming's scariest series.

So I thought, hey. It would be nice to discuss the franchise in general, to get people's thoughts on it.

I didn't start with the games back in 1999, but rather, my first experience was during 2002. It was back in 1999 at the age of 14 or so, when I first got into survival horror gaming. It changed my life, and I have defended (or frequently shat on) the Resident Evil series for years since. Of course, I am not some biased a-hole who is critical because I love to be a jerk. No. Rather, I just grew tired of Capcom's evident mismanagement of Resident Evil. Not that it's so bad, I want to tune out in full. I do enjoy their new titles to an extent. However, I'm not a "I have wool over my eyes, that clouds my vision" kind of guy. If I can see it's bad or lacking in quality, I do notice that. :D

And yep. I'm a guy. Grace Saunders is from the Alone in the Dark games.

So SH1 was my first foray, into the unrelenting fog. Loved it. Adored the horror. I liked how the protagonist was not a super heroic guy, but just a guy. The game also has some of the best eerie sounds in any video game. 2 was way better, but somewhat overrated, and 3 is my personal favourite. Mostly due to Helen's Bakery! ;)

4 onwards are nowhere as good, as they are too hard, or feel like cash grab games, that got tainted by Hollywood. You can tell Homecoming was copying so much from the 2006 movie.

All in all, I enjoyed all of the main games, but I was never able to get into that 2009 Wii one, where you ran away from all of the monsters that attacked your ass. However, after 2014, the series died an unneccesary death when Hideo Kojima got his marching orders from what from then on, became known as #FucKonami. It has since been a case of people getting tormented with annoying hearsay, year after year. But so far, nothing has become of the endless amounts of Internet rumours, but we on Team Real do remain hopeful Konami will take interest in this franchise once more.

I kind of retired from forums, but I promised to talk about Silent Hill. But we should probably just enjoy TGS for what it is. That way, you won't be on the hype train going over a high bridge, and your choo-choo train derails into the deep gorge down below, where a dog house with no dog seemingly is located. :p

The real Silent Hill games were obviously 1, 2 and 3 and a bit of 4.
What was amazing was that each game brought new story, horror and visual concepts and all were reflections of the character's psyche.

They said a long time ago, that they had plans to continue the series. Maybe they just said that to calm the storm, because nothing has came of their alleged plans to not close the doors on the franchise.

Even Capcom has more respect for their series.

Silent Hill died as far as Konami was concerned the moment Silent Hill 3 sold 1 million copies instead of 4 million copies. Apart from a few underwhelming, farmed-out Western efforts, it ain't coming back.

Last edited:
Silent Hill died as far as Konami was concerned the moment Silent Hill 3 sold 1 million copies instead of 4 million copies.

I don't think selling 4 million copies of a horror game in the early 2000s was ever Konami's ambition. Konami also kept publishing Silent Hill games for another 10 years, so I don't think Sillent Hill 3 killed the franchise.

More likely, Konami's bean counters tried to optimize their cost structure by sending the franchise's development towards smaller studios overseas and progressively cutting down the budget. But even then they started a likely very costly project with Kojima, Guillermo del Toro and Norman Reedus. It wasn't until MGS:V that Konami cut ties with Kojima and decided to flush Silent Hills.

Silent Hill died as far as Konami was concerned the moment Silent Hill 3 sold 1 million copies instead of 4 million copies. Apart from a few underwhelming, farmed-out Western efforts, it ain't coming back.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...evive-metal-gear-castlevania-and-silent-hill/
Finally, multiple Silent Hill games are currently in development at various external development studios, as per an earlier VGC report from February.

One of these projects was outsourced to a prominent Japanese developer earlier this year, we were told.

VGC first reported Konami’s softening of its stance over licensing its game properties earlier this year, in a report revealing that the company has outsourced a new Silent Hill game.

I don't think selling 4 million copies of a horror game in the early 2000s was ever Konami's ambition. Konami also kept publishing Silent Hill games for another 10 years, so I don't think Sillent Hill 3 killed the franchise.

More likely, Konami's bean counters tried to optimize their cost structure by sending the franchise's development towards smaller studios overseas and progressively cutting down the budget. But even then they started a likely very costly project with Kojima, Guillermo del Toro and Norman Reedus. It wasn't until MGS:V that Konami cut ties with Kojima and decided to flush Silent Hills.
Not killed so much as not selling well enough to meet sales expectations, but yeah I'm trying to help Mr Saunders avoid potential disappointment.
Finally, multiple Silent Hill games are currently in development at various external development studios, as per an earlier VGC report from February.

One of these projects was outsourced to a prominent Japanese developer earlier this year, we were told.

VGC first reported Konami’s softening of its stance over licensing its game properties earlier this year, in a report revealing that the company has outsourced a new Silent Hill game.
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think you might be horrified worse than anything the town of Silent Hill can throw at you when they actually reveal more details about what those games actually are.

At this rate, if I want Silent Hill back in my life, I can simply walk up Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, on a quiet, misty day.

There I go. Sorted! :D

Back