Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karak claims to have a friend at MS working on the new Xbox. I wouldn't trust his analysis or interpretation, even if his source is reliable. A debate I had in the Sony Used Game Patent thread with him suggested to me he didn't really understand what he was talking about.

SRAM is much lower density than eDRAM. Around 3-6x lower. I don't see the attraction for this application, except that it's easier/cheaper to manufacture.
What about the pseudo-sram variants, those using 1t per cell, hiding refresh and stuff, maybe they think it qualifies as eSRAM because it behaves as such?

Karak claims to have a friend at MS working on the new Xbox. I wouldn't trust his analysis or interpretation, even if his source is reliable. A debate I had in the Sony Used Game Patent thread with him suggested to me he didn't really understand what he was talking about.

Yeah when people continually post long essays that say vague things it's hard to swallow.

What about the pseudo-sram variants, those using 1t per cell, hiding refresh and stuff, maybe they think it qualifies as eSRAM because it behaves as such?

Maybe, although PSRAM is just DRAM with an embedded controller. If the RAM is embedded anyway there isn't a big distinction. Still seems like a weird choice for something internal to a GPU.

Just for reference, when/where did Aegis mention a Venus GPU?

Someone ask:

8000+ gnc 2.0 "Venus XTX" based gpu 20mn
8 core Richland x86 cpu With 8000 core series hd apu 28nm
8 or 6 gig of ram

And he answer:

The GPU is the only thing that seems like more than developers have hinted at to me over the last year. It could be a smart move though, if the smaller process and wafer size reduces heat and power requirements.

Yeah they're gonna release 2 consoles(SKU):LOL:
They are pushing windows 8 everywhere to compete with apple and android... I guess there's a Windows8-TV box coming out to compete against AppleTV and GoogleTV. A low powered box with a cellphone chip in it ;)

I thought Volcanic islands starts at 20 nm.

I like those specs if true. The venus XTX would give over 2 TF and if the APU has another 8xxx gpu, then I guess 0.5-1 TF.

If Edram helped them so much in 360, then why pick something that might be inferior? Is it really that more expensive?

If windows 8 is on the next xbox running on 2 cores and 2-3GB RAM then clearly it won't be anything like a normal console OS. The gaming side of the consoles will be entirely seperate and have nothing to do with the windows 8 OS, although you will definitely be able to switch between the two close to instantly. There will likely be a custom overlay for gaming functionality, but the actual OS that runs the gaming side of things will likely be even smaller than the 360 one is.

Then of course they could sell a 'set top box' with just 2 cores/smaller GPU and 2-3GB RAM that runs a custom xbox media edition of win8 with no 'core' gaming functionality.

I thought Volcanic islands starts at 20 nm.

I like those specs if true. The venus XTX would give over 2 TF and if the APU has another 8xxx gpu, then I guess 0.5-1 TF.

If Edram helped them so much in 360, then why pick something that might be inferior? Is it really that more expensive?

Going of what they've written it is apparently VenusXTX based, so it's not actually VenusXTX and one of the ways it could differ is the process it is fabbed on. However I find this unlikely for anything prior to a Q4 2014 release.

valve developing a steambox with xi3 codenamed piston . it is rumoured to have a 384 gcn core gpu and a quad core cpu . can valve know the internals of nxt gen consoles ? if so then they may be less powerful as they are bringing out low powered steamboxes !

But, a Windows 8 with desktop applications or a Windows 8 with only metro apps?

Windows 8 needs no more than 500-600 MB, metro apps are not memory hungry and they are not multitask. Then, why 3GB?

But, a Windows 8 with desktop applications or a Windows 8 with only metro apps?

Windows 8 needs no more than 500-600 MB, metro apps are not memory hungry and they are not multitask. Then, why 3GB?
Because the 3GB just rumor or some peoples prediction

Could be for supporting multiple users at once. So the whole family can be Windowsing at the same time.

Also, my Firefox is taking up 1+ gb of ram right now :(

If windows 8 is on the next xbox running on 2 cores and 2-3GB RAM then clearly it won't be anything like a normal console OS. The gaming side of the consoles will be entirely seperate and have nothing to do with the windows 8 OS, although you will definitely be able to switch between the two close to instantly. There will likely be a custom overlay for gaming functionality, but the actual OS that runs the gaming side of things will likely be even smaller than the 360 one is.

Then of course they could sell a 'set top box' with just 2 cores/smaller GPU and 2-3GB RAM that runs a custom xbox media edition of win8 with no 'core' gaming functionality.
Well,win8 for PC don't need 2GB,i don't think even a heavy customized Durango OS(may based on win8) will need 2GB either,i mean if they need,well,MS can just install the win8 for PC in Durango:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back