Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
agree , funnyly the russian insider suggestion and leaked document (not 56 page)
suggesitng he seems right.

funny #2 is, we have so many leaked document on ms side, but none on SOny
we just beleiving insider on Sony side, but somehow
we more believe on sony will have 7970 with financial troubles on sony
vs targetting > 7xxx performance on xbox

There aren't any desktop-model 7970's with 18CUs and 1.8tf. The 'russian insider''s site is also chock full of inaccuracies, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

I know it, but it was not in the box. It could be the same for Xbox 720.

I highly doubt it. Like I said, it could be many people's first BR player, and on top of that, they actually released an HD DVD peripheral for the 360 to make it try and compete. They'll want this one to play BR.

There aren't any desktop-model 7970's with 18CUs and 1.8tf. The 'russian insider''s site is also chock full of inaccuracies, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

of course, if it is accurate then it is not a rumor :)

older devkit already have 7xxx
suggesting MS targetting better GPU at the end

also remember the insider (3 week old) suggesting MS probably at the end
choose AMD X86 for security reason.
somehow recently (5 days) we have news like this
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/41313-amd-integrate-arm-cores-future-apu-designs/
By integrating an ARM Cortex-A5 core, AMD is bringing ARM's smallest ARMv7 applications processor into the design, along with support for TrustZone, essentially creating a dedicated security processor. For AMD, this saves the firm the tedious effort of creating a new security standard and integrating the new technology into its current APU design

of course, if it is accurate then it is not a rumor :)

That russian insider also stated that sony fans are "allready butthurt" and that the Watch Dogs demo at E3 was running on a Wii U, despite Ubi clearly stating that all their demos were run off PC.

As I said, you can probably safely discard what is said there.

Heh, neat:
•audio processing unit, ~200 concurrent MP3 streams
That's... interesting, I'm assuming they are talking about a decoder chip that allows devs to store their samples in mp3 and they can decode and stream 200 samples in an audio frame.

I would guess it would be in partial compensation for the lack of SPE elements, which are exceptionally good at those streaming decoding tasks.

The Xbox 360 has an XMA decoder chip that can theoretically decode 320 XMA streams per audio frame (probably closer to 250-280 in real usage).

That russian insider also stated that sony fans are "allready butthurt" and that the Watch Dogs demo at E3 was running on a Wii U, despite Ubi clearly stating that all their demos were run off PC.

As I said, you can probably safely discard what is said there.

not all info are legit or correct, do you know lost in translation
asian languange into english into russian back to english
(the real insider is game developer from asia)

about xbox is a beast, another insider already see 7xxx in older devkit is old news
from confirmed game developer on neogaf not from russian site
he said also more people on amd work on next xbox compare to next ps4

the point is the info inline with:
-leaked deocument
-leaked pdf, leaked spec sheet
-ign developer survey
-smartglass , xbox surface etc

How much would it cost to include an HD tv tuner? If you've got a ridiculously large HDD, say 500GB why not add value by using it for other things? We already had the rumour of DVR function from the leak of the earlier target. So what of this part of the rumour?

bgassassin: I got a message for you to send back to those giving you some vague platform overviews. Maybe this will help get the ball rolling and some much needed clarification ;)

Regarding the 1 TFLOPs number for Durango, could they specify if that is Single or Double Precision. I tried to explain to a messenger that there isn't a huge need for DP on a console but according to him MS is quite happy with their DP performance. AMD is already packing this sort of performance into 365mm^2 GPUs in 2012 so while such architectural choices seem necessary, depending on what was cut from a GPU to put it into a console (e.g. ROPs from 32 down to 16 or even 8 at 1GHz, reduction in TMUs, etc) I guess it is possible, but I don't trust him. But he swears it is true.

Oh, and something about insisting there is a new memory type with similar performance to eDRAM but he didn't know the tech stuff (he really is a newb) but he was told it is a newer technology not on the market yet with some manufacturing and reliability issues. What came to mind was this, but the messenger didn't know.

So the big questions would be: What are the SP and DP Durango GPU metrics and besides the 8GB of memory what other memory architectures are in place on Durango.

Their CMOS sensors have a massive market, both with Sony's growing imaging business and the market for mobile parts where Sony's tech offers a competitive advantage. PS4 development on the other hand is limited solely to PS4. Sony were willing to invest heavily in Cell because they believed (or Kutaragi did) that the tech would be used in lots of other devices, but that didn't happen. When you know your hardware market is only worth a couple of billion tops for its entire life, it's a pretty rash investment to sink a billion bucks into it where you know you won't get hardware returns and whatever money you get will come from software and services against mature competition.

I replied to this before but now this information about Sony Computer Entertainment having a Billion Dollar Deficit in it's 2011 Fiscal Report that pretty much says that the Billion Dollar SOC is real, don't you think?

Sony Computer Entertainment 2011 Fiscal Report : Deficit Over 94.7 Billion Yen

How much would it cost to include an HD tv tuner? If you've got a ridiculously large HDD, say 500GB why not add value by using it for other things? We already had the rumour of DVR function from the leak of the earlier target. So what of this part of the rumour?

why not sell it as an USB device?
I don't know what's a "HD Tuner". there are homes receiving TV over-the-air, or from cable, satellite, or from ADSL or fiber then ethernet from the ISP box, with some sort of DRM.

so, you can have three tuners built-in and deals with all major ISPs in dozens of countries to satisfy every possible case. or offer VoD and movie downloads on Xbox Live, and sell Xbox branded tuners maybe.

I replied to this before but now this information about Sony Computer Entertainment having a Billion Dollar Deficit in it's 2011 Fiscal Report that pretty much says that the Billion Dollar SOC is real, don't you think?

Or, they're losing money on PS3, Vita, and owning tons of studios?

Console R&D should not be a huge expense if you're doing it right (AKA, not Cell)

Anyways, I thought gaming results werent broken out anymore? So, we get separate SCE results that are the same thing? What am I missing?

No point. Any TV functionality would be handled via IPTV/IPTV gateways. Just like the current xbox can be used as a DVR/STB for any service provider that is using MS MediaRoom (MS's IPTV platform which is currently the most popular IPTV platform and forms a lot of the basis for the technical details of the FCC's replacement for Cablecard).

Or, they're losing money on PS3, Vita, and owning tons of studios?

Console R&D should not be a huge expense if you're doing it right (AKA, not Cell)

Anyways, I thought gaming results werent broken out anymore? So, we get separate SCE results that are the same thing? What am I missing?

i agree with the assesment, i think sony high probability
sony will going
- vita route
- nintendo route
- delayed the PS4 ( just like before remember PS3)
they don't have revenue stream like xbox live
they dont have Kutaragi

somehow most of us still beleive sony will do whatever to do to cretate a beast console

but remember sony prediction/rumor usually aim high, end result lower than expected

Not sure if this even legit or some technical misinformation containing more than "Game" because a slide show FY11 in profit..
14_image.jpg

This could be mainly the PSN hack bill writedown + Vita launch expenses if true

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this even legit or some technical misinformation containing more than "Game" because a slide show FY11 in profit..
14_image.jpg

This could be mainly the PSN hack bill writedown + Vita launch expenses if true
tell neogaf,this picture was from April 12 and was Sony's guess
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/strategy/2012/

this is actual FY report
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/2011q4.html

if you check back the FY report at May you will find the sales(blue par) already different between FY report and this picture

oh and,http://kanpou.npb.go.jp/ <-this is government site,not unknown source

Last edited by a moderator:

You guys read way to much into early devkits, they're an indicator of the general architecture and very rough performance (sometimes), and not very much else.
Before devkits with real silicon are available, usually less than 12 months before launch, devkits are there to let developers play with the new feature sets and the core OS API's, often with very different performance profiles.
Specs usually are "locked" and I use the term loosely down 2+ years before a product launches. That's not to say they don't "evolve" as process issues arrise, or partners deadlines slip, or information about a competitors platform leak, but you rarely see wholesale changes.
The 360 devkits had 2 different video cards, neither of which were very much like the final hardware, but with the exception of the late memory size change, disclosed developers knew what was in the final box before the first devkit even shipped.

say if the $1B SOC is real & knowing that the CPU & GPU in the SOC is AMD wouldn't that mean a lot of this money is going into whatever else is in this SOC like the co-processor? which is already been shown to be a part of AMD's SOC design letting 3rd parties add their own processors to the SOC design.

what if there is a Ray-Tracing co-processor in the SOC wouldn't that be a really big advantage that a company like Sony would want bad enough to put a lot of money into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back