Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I started thinking about what is needed to achieve this. What does pre-rendered CGs have that game graphics lighting doesn’t? I went on to make it a habit to observe many games, a lot of pre-rendered graphics and real-life scenes as well. As a result, I came to the conclusion that the effect of light reflecting from one object to another was what was completely lacking in many gaming graphics. I realized that this was what I felt was “missing.” This is a concept called “Global Illumination” in the field of pre-rendered CG..

I find this paragraph annoying to read, Hes talking like hes the first one in the industry to realise the merit of GI, and that it was his dedicated genius to arrive at that conclusion, like his treading new ground in the industry. So lame.

Point one, Everyone has known that for decades.
Point two. There are hundreds of games that use pre-baked GI as lighting information in texture sets.

Guys you see informations/speculations of Hiroshige Goto about PS4 ?

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2008/0929/kaigai469.htm

Translate by Google:

http://translate.google.com/transla...9/kaigai469.htm&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8

(im read yet....but ps4 maybe great chance to be "wii like" or something like only 2x more powerfull tham ps3!)

Depends on what wii like is.

The wii is only an overclocked gamecube with more ram. But if sony actually makes a $200-$300 console with cutting edge 2010/2011 tech we would get a large leap over what we have now.

To be honest to get a great leap over this gen we only need a few thing in the ps3.

Cell 2 2x16 set up
Dx11 nvidia gpu
2-4 gigs of ram
8x bluray drive.

This would easily surpase the consoles we have today. Sony doesn't have to break the bank with this either. They don't need to loose hundreds per system.

Personaly though I think both ms and sony will target the $400 price point again with a system that most likely costs then $400-450

PS4 i think will still use Cell but Cell will not be the focus point. It is use for the OS and maintain backward compatibility with PS3 games. It will have full PS1/2/3 compatible.

45nm Cell .v2 1x8 SPE 384GFLOPS
45nm Nvidia midrange GTX360 1.6TFLOPS, conservative but enough power for 1280x1080p 2xAA for the lowest common denominator
BR 8x, BR will not die.
3GB GDDR5 Tri Channel, without Kutaragi, SCE will cut ties with Rambus, does not make economical sense.
160GB/640GB Sata2 HDD
Motion sensing break apart Dual Shock 4 and PSEye 4.
PSN will have a subscription model, Sony lost too much revenue by making it free this gen. $50 per year per users x (5 years) x (4 million users) = $1000M

I see them going with dual SKU, it is what every one does.
$299 - 160GB HDD
$399 - 640GB HDD, additional 1GB flash memory with Linux OS, free PSN for a year.

2011 winter all territories.

45nm Cell .v2 1x8 SPE 384GFLOPS

You really think so ? I would think doubling the cell chip to 2x16 would be very cheap for them at 45nm and under. Your looking at what 580m transistors for such a chip. Keep it at 3.2ghz and you double your cpu power and keep heat /power consumption down and keep yeilds up.

BR 8x, BR will not die
Meh . i think bluray's life will depend on the next 2 years or so of the USA's finanical well being. If the masses here don't feel like splurging or simply can't afford it then it will die . However I think we are stuck with bluray for next gen on all three platforms even though i'd rather see a sd type game set up.

3GB GDDR5 Tri Channel, without Kutaragi, SCE will cut ties with Rambus, does not make economical sense

How would this be set up ? I was thinking more like giving the cell its own 512 -1 gig of ram and giving the gpu 2-4 gigs of ram.

160GB/640GB Sata2 HDD

I think even in 2011 a 640GB 2.5 inch drive would cost to much and a 3.5 inch drive would just take up way way to much room in the console and make a console even bigger than the current ps3. I'd say we'd start next gen out in the 320 gig range .

PSN will have a subscription model, Sony lost too much revenue by making it free this gen. $50 per year per users x (5 years) x (4 million users) = $1000M

And face a massive back lash by all the zelots that claimed how great it was cause it was free ? I don't see that happening. I think they will continue to try and push home and all its micro transactions.

see them going with dual SKU, it is what every one does.
$299 - 160GB HDD
$399 - 640GB HDD, additional 1GB flash memory with Linux OS, free PSN for a year

Hmm. I'd say we'd see a $400 320 gig version and thats it . If we see another sku from them it be $300 16 gig flash ram console. Just enough for caching (mabye 32 gigs ?) and game saves. I think they will also move away from user upgradable drives and start charging for them after seeing the prices ms can charge for their drives.

but to help developer, instead of doubling the spes can't they simply tweak where they feel right, and then up the frequency?
this will give a great boost to who don't need many many core to run the game

I keep on thinking that Nintendo will throw in the towel on designing an HD console and simply use an Xbox 360 clone. I think this has been discussed before, so im sorry.

I know there are many reasons why they wouldn't do it, but are there enough good reasons for them to consider the possibility?

The Xbox 360 will be a mature platform by the time the Wii HD is looking to be released. So immediately it could be put to use with the same design paramaters as the current Wii.

In 2011 the Xbox 360 will likely to be:

Xenos+Xenon+ED Ram on the same Die @ 40NM (TSMC)
4 ram chips for a simplified board layout.

But Nintendo likes to have a simplified console so these are the specs a Wii HD based on the 360 will likely have IMHO. Because of how simplified the internal components of the 360 would have become by then they could package it however they wanted within reason.

The console must have a total power usage of up to 35W, 25 being more likely so the chips etc will be clocked accordingly.

It seems to make sense to take on a developed tool chain rather than trying to go it alone again.

Squilliam what you're suggesting makes no sense, but then again, I think that's been mentioned to you before in another thread. ;)

There still seems to be this on going concept that both MS and Sony are going to be continuously pushing the technological curve with their consoles in the future and Im simply doubt it. Realistically the lower end console/consoles have outsold the superior performing competitors for the last two generations now. Nintendo is making money hand over fist in hardware on both their console and their handheld. At this point I think it is more than a bit naive to believe that Nins marketing and hardware configurations arent drawing the utmost attention from both Sony and MS. If anything Sony and MS are now targeting the supposed market that Nintendo has been completely dominating as their game divisions are either losing money, splitting even, or making small profits. I personally cant help but feel that the days of break neck hardware at lower than cost prices are in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is the wii was only successfull because of its unique controls. Unless Sony/MS and even nintendo themselves can come up with another revolution in one way or another they wont achieve the same success as the wii.

Are nintendo going to throw what thay already have with regards to controls and try and come up with something totally new again? if yes then will it have to be something other than motion control as its already been done? If they go with motion control will even people be interested by it a second time?
If you ask me the next wii will be an evolution rather than revolution, improving on the current controls but mainly boosting the graphics capabilitys. I might be wrong but if not what can the try to improve upon to gain the same level of interest as the wii?

Unless sony/microsoft can come up with something unique making extremely powerful hardware hopefully not selling at too much of a loss is the only way to make a significant enough improvement to entice people to buy it. If it is only a small improvement graphics wise and doesent offer anything new elsewhere who is going to buy it? Not me anyway... If the significant upgrade is made elsewhere its going to have to be more than just another take on motion control.

The thing is the wii was only successfull because of its unique controls. Unless Sony/MS and even nintendo themselves can come up with another revolution in one way or another they wont achieve the same success as the wii.

Are nintendo going to throw what thay already have with regards to controls and try and come up with something totally new again? if yes then will it have to be something other than motion control as its already been done? If they go with motion control will even people be interested by it a second time?
If you ask me the next wii will be an evolution rather than revolution, improving on the current controls but mainly boosting the graphics capabilitys. I might be wrong but if not what can the try to improve upon to gain the same level of interest as the wii?

Even the gamecube that sold poorly showcased a large profit for Nintendo last generation. The Wii is selling on much more than simply the new controller, though I agree that the controller is a main attraction associated with the console.

Repeatedly Nintendo has turned a profit or massive profits under their marketing/hardware approach. I personally cant see how this isnt impacting the other corporations; one which has lost money the last two gens and another that has lost significant amounts this gen and much of their userbase from last gen.

Even the gamecube that sold poorly showcased a large profit for Nintendo last generation. The Wii is selling on much more than simply the new controller, though I agree that the controller is a main attraction associated with the console.

Repeatedly Nintendo has turned a profit or massive profits under their marketing/hardware approach. I personally cant see how this isnt impacting the other corporations; one which has lost money the last two gens and another that has lost significant amounts this gen and much of their userbase from last gen.

I agree wit your points but there are other things at play so its not as straight forward as that. Sony were trying to push a new format with bluray, if they had stayed with DVD and released a significantly cheaper console at less of a loss (only to begin with until they start making profit on hardware) they could have been looking at emulating the success of the PS2 quite easily. Sony made some big mistakes which has put them where they are but these mistakes do not mean the whole strategy is an invalid one, without those mistakes the strategy could have been just as successful as in the past.
I believe there is room for both strategys personally. In fact if all consoles next generation go the nintendo route next gen bar PS4 the traditional way could well prove most successful once again...

I agree wit your points but there are other things at play so its not as straight forward as that. Sony were trying to push a new format with bluray, if they had stayed with DVD and released a significantly cheaper console at less of a loss they could have been looking at emulating the success of the PS2 quite easily. Sony made some big mistakes which has put them where they are but these mistakes do not mean the whole strategy is an invalid one, without those mistakes the strategy could have been just as successful as in the past.
I believe there is room for both strategys personally. In fact if all consoles next generation go the nintendo route next gen bar PS4 the traditional way could well prove most successful once again...

I agree there is room, but realistically I personally dont see either MS or Sony willing to put so much at stake for another generation particularly given another approach has proved successful repeatedly. Eventually Im expecting it to be a matter of profit or bust. I dont really see either company targeting the hardcore gamers as these gamers will purchase a console in some form or another (its not like everyone is going to flock to the pc) and it is evident that the mainstream arent overly concerned with hardware specs and once again the mainstream represent the mass sales. Sony most likely wont be interested in bringing another optical format to the front so this of course wont be an issue. Though when we are talking about 3-4 gigs of reasonably fast ram, advanced cpus, relatively high end gpus etc. Im personally doubtful.

I havent got much of an idea myself but what sort of hardware would they be able to provide if breaking even at a cost of $400 or even $300? Im sure at that price you could build a very powerfull machine and offset most of the risk.
How much of a loss was the PS2 sold at to begin with? if it had been built at a break even cost would it have been much different in terms of power to how it ended up being?
Going the nintendo route of selling old harware at quite a profit is going too much in that direction for me but some sort of middleground between the extemeties of the wii and ps3 could be the best bet for the future.

Squilliam what you're suggesting makes no sense, but then again, I think that's been mentioned to you before in another thread. ;)

He is just saying what i have said in the past. Nintendo could liscense the xbox 360 design from ms. Put the whole thing on 45nm or 35nm (whatever it may be at the time) and in my opinion double the memory.

What nintendo can gain from this is a complete high def system with tons of dev tools and a large amount of engines. its basicly what they got from the wii. The wii had all of the above (except high def graphics) this way nintendo can just focus on their games. A 2010 / 2011 xbox 360 would be extremely cheap.

I agree there is room, but realistically I personally dont see either MS or Sony willing to put so much at stake for another generation particularly given another approach has proved successful repeatedly. Eventually Im expecting it to be a matter of profit or bust. I dont really see either company targeting the hardcore gamers as these gamers will purchase a console in some form or another (its not like everyone is going to flock to the pc) and it is evident that the mainstream arent overly concerned with hardware specs and once again the mainstream represent the mass sales. Sony most likely wont be interested in bringing another optical format to the front so this of course wont be an issue. Though when we are talking about 3-4 gigs of reasonably fast ram, advanced cpus, relatively high end gpus etc. Im personally doubtful.

Each generation has its own rules. The playstation generation it was the most powerfull when it launched and it wasn't untill what 18 months later that the n64 launched ? What do we learn from that generation ? Its not to launch an under powered system or a hard to program for system (saturn) or launch extremely late (n64) The ps2 era taught us that launchig first at a low price point wont work if your broke (dreamcast) and launching late with a cheap system and no third party support wouldn't work (gamecube) and launching late with an expensive system , no brand name and no large first party excluvies (xbox ) wont work either.

Every gen teaches us something diffrent and next gen being a cheap console with low end graphics (comparable ) may not work no matter how many gimmicks you throw in . It may be that nex gen its the console that has the best graphics that win.

I think we will see both ms and sony follow what they have been doing. Release a cutting edge console and cost reduce. Sony may not go with a $600 console again , but so what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back