Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fusion would really be a good option for Nintendo:
One single chip, one single bus to the RAM, more power full than the 360 likely cheaper (no costum parts (/ the mobo), few RD).
Edram would be not be needed as I feel like gdrr5 would provide enough bandwidth for HD rendering (720p and more).

With a powerful machine in terms of graphics, and a simple CPU architecture (single core or dual core), Nintendo and 3rd parties will have the option of doing any type of game-graphics. They can do simple Wii-like graphics in HD, or upto 360/PS3 graphics, or really amazing CG-like graphics. All depending on what they want to express and what they want to spend on game development.

If It was up to me I would want Nintendo's machine to be as powerful as possible (Toy story in a box would be cool), but based on trends, things might not reach the dizzying heights of your expectations.

Not long till we find out really... Im def looking forward to it... fo sho. :)

If a console is designed to fit in the size of the Wii form factor, it'll be quickly constrained to how much heat/wattage the GPU can consume. In contrast a modern PC case is very large and it is easier to cool hot computer chips.

The whole heat/wattage factor is going to a big selling point of Intel technology. They invest so much into their fabs, they should have an easier time of delievering a lot of computing power in a small form factor.

If It was up to me I would want Nintendo's machine to be as powerful as possible (Toy story in a box would be cool), but based on trends, things might not reach the dizzying heights of your expectations.

Not long till we find out really... Im def looking forward to it... fo sho. :)

My expectations are really not all that high. I don't expect movie-quality CGI in realtime in a Nintendo box. I meant real time graphics that's similar to the lower-end CGI that you see in intros for GCN/Wii games. Graphics that are closer to what can be done now in tech demos on highend PCs. (i.e. the AMD Cinema 2.0 demos). The Xbox3,PS4 will be more complex with much larger CPUs and somewhat more powerful GPUs that the best possible GPU Nintendo is likely to offer. If Nintendo's GPU is equal in power to the best PCs of 2008, then Xbox3,PS4 could be equal in power to the best PCs of 2010 or 2011.
Thus Nintendo would still make a profit on hardware and charge $249 (or as low as $199 or as high as $299).

Anandtech posted a pretty interesting article about the power consumption I think anyone who may be considering the possibility of a Sandy-Bridge/LRB All intel console should read it at least twice. Its really interesting, especially from the perspective of having a fixed TDP in an enclosed box.

"A 10 - 20% decrease in power consumption, at the same manufacturing process, is nothing to scoff at"

"We got Hyper Threading, a completely static CMOS design, new power gate transistors, QPI, an integrated memory controller and some other lower level architectural tweaks"

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3453

Thanks to Mr Anand for the great little article.

http://pixelstoomany.wordpress.com/ (about the response to Tim Sweeney's rant about the dead of fixed function APIs)

This is what I understand from the "one chip does everything" part:

1- An heterogeneous design like Cell (harder to manage?)
2- An multi-core, each core being multi purpose, like Larrabee (maximum efficiency in trade off maximum peak performance?)
3- Merge CPU and GPU in one chip (or is it one die?), like AMD's fusion (easier to manage than Cell, and at the same time cheaper than Larrabee?)

In every topic on ray tracing vs rasterization, different types of AA implementations, different types of HDR implementations, all I see is how one technice offers advantages / disadvantagens over another. From my point of view an utopic, ideal, world, would be one where some, intrinsic fuctions, are all automatized. Pick up a single house with an outdoor garden for instance, there is one sun, one atmosphere, one grass, the real world physics are all the same wheter your are in the house or behind a tree. But in the computational world there are like 10 different formats of HDR, 10 different ways of calculating indirect lighting, different ways of culling and so on.

I really don't see *that* much room for graphical leaps, but rather "trade-off" leaps. In some of the most heated debates about trade offs that had to be made, like less resolution and more objects, no AA and better fps, there seems to be some kind of frustration that sometimes two things are desired, but one cancels / limits the other.

I expect the next generation of consoles to be the last to take advantage of 2D silicon basead transistors.

Not sure this has been posted elsewhere but this would seem the right thread to post it in, anyway some guy has got his own theory on what the PS4 is going to be like. I dont where the info comes from so I cant determine if its true or false, my gut tells me its false as its seems to be all PS3 info but updated stuff like the dates of launch.

What does everybody else think :?:

Playstation 4 - Secrets

I don't buy the specs . WE hae to assume that this is coming out 2011/2012.

1) Sony wont dic blu-ray for hvd and A) make the same mistake as this gen b) switch to a disc they don't have patents with over one they have patents with and lost billions to make the next standard

2) 2 gigs of ram is simply not enough. If they decided on that ms can steam roll the.

3) QF-HDTV ? I don't think so the industry is already making an expensive transition to HDTV and they still have many more things they can milk out of consumers with current tech. We wont see a new tv spec till at least 2020 i'd wager. Not only that but does anyone expect them to go from a console that can barely do 720p to one pushing 2160p . I don't

4) 9.1 speakers ? 7.1 has yet to catch on and 5.1 is barely main stream. You really think they will devote more resources to 9.1 sound.

Everything else in that first chart i can believe.

Those PS4 specs are unrealistic.

1. GDDR4? Isn't GDDR5 cheaper?

2. 1GB + 1GB of ram? Back to DX10 beta stages there was some function called memory virtualization.

3. HDV? What about quadruple layer BDs?

4. Higher than full HD resolution? Very few people buy over 42 inch TVs.

5. Colors. It'll take a long time before most people in the world own TVs with ultra high contrast, ultra high brightness, ultra high color fidelity tech.

6. Cell 2. Disable one SPE to increase yields, why not two or three out of that many more?

7. What's up with that high system OS ram usage?

8. 48? Are shader still going to be counted like that in the future, and are ROPs still going to be there?

9. I'd add power saving mechanisms to that. Some games or softwares could under utilize the full specs in favor of power savings.

I was thinking the link to be funny till I reach the memory part and I laughed out loud
GDDR4 WTH? :LOL:
:LOL:
That part was the ultimate proof that the guy was clueless.

How can someone sit and dream up release schedules 4-5 years ahead with hardware number codes and shit. Totally unbelievable!!!

Edepot is just a site run by anyone like you or me or anyone else; people need to stop linking to that site as if it has "the answers." It's operator is a member here by the way as well, even though I don't think I've seen him in awhile. It does chronicle some of what is known about the PS3, but the problem is that it takes supposition and codifies it on equal terms with the known facts. Of course since some of those known facts are derived from this site here to begin with, my advice to anyone is just to stick around here and ask questions if you have them. ;)

I guess next gen nintendo DS has four screens including two touch screens, four ARM processors, three cartridge slots and 4.1 sound.

No no, that is not how you do it. This sounds better: the next NDS will have 2 screens with higher resolution screens, and higher bitrate per pixel, along with higher refresh rate. It will have two touch screens (bingo), arm processors with more cores (having more chips cost more), one smaller cartridge slot, not more (PS3 got rid of them in later generations), and given it is a mobile device, unless you wear a helmet, having more channels is kind of useless, but you can increase capability to support dolby digital pro logic II so you get surround sound.

Some of the comments were constructive, so I did correct some obvious mistakes
while converting from PS3 to the PS4 page.

http://www.edepot.com/playstation4.html

RAM is expensive though. Sony should have put in 512RAM in GPU and/or XDR, but they didn't. So whether it is 2GB total or 3-4 GB total will depend on the price. Perhaps PS4 will follow the Wii and be a little less aggressive with price. I am thinking maybe have user upgradable GDDR5 or DDR4, as the new ps4 update suggests. Consoles are moving closer to being like a PC if you think about it. The PS3 now has BIOS for bootup, OS in the harddrive, supports USB devices, can connect to internet, etc. Soon you may start buying apps instead of games. And maybe in the near future you can program on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the comments were constructive, so I did correct some obvious mistakes
while converting from PS3 to the PS4 page.

http://www.edepot.com/playstation4.html

Umm... I'm sorry, but your page is BS beyond words.

You have dated model numbers and process shrinks there as accurate as one month timeframe, going as far as 2013 lol, with power consumptions and all. I'm not going to read all of that, but it seems you have copied lot's of stuff from your "PS3 secrets" and just pasted them on e.g. the release dates...

All in all that page of yours doesn't provide anything useful about PS4 and probably just misleads and confuses people, some might think it's real or is based on something other than your broken logic.

Umm... I'm sorry, but your page is BS beyond words.

But you've got to admit, it's funny as hell. How someone can but so much effort in making up bogus specs is beyond me.

My favorite is the Cell2 with 21 SPUs! Or the RSX2 with unified shaders and non-unified texture units! But no actual shader units!

I like it. Cracks me up. Should post that on the DevNet... hm....

Interesting post from Assen here. Bearing in mind that Wii worked so well by simply being to all intents and purposes an overclocked GameCube with a new controller, what's to stop Microsoft simply duct-taping together two 360s together for their next console - or some other 'good enough' solution...

I think price-point is going to be the determinant factor in defining next gen console tech.

Interesting post from Assen here. Bearing in mind that Wii worked so well by simply being to all intents and purposes an overclocked GameCube with a new controller, what's to stop Microsoft simply duct-taping together two 360s together for their next console - or some other 'good enough' solution...

I think price-point is going to be the determinant factor in defining next gen console tech.

Brought some of these points up a few pages back and I adamantly agree.

Wii wouldn't have worked if just a GC*2 though. It needed the Wiimote. XB360*2 woudn't sell without some Special Sauce to attract the pundits. What's the likelihood of MS innovating the Next Big Thing and capturing the hearts and minds of the masses, enabling them to employ a cheap hardware base?

In fact a thought that just occured to me, perhaps the reason Wii is so simple is because Nntendo were hedging their bets and had a contingency plan case Wii was a flop. If so it wouldn't have lost them a huge amount of investment. If they had gone with a PS360 type high-end system and Wiimote proved a turn-off, they'd have been scuppered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back