Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony made the decision to go with a seemingly unreasonably large single chip design figuring that will be lots easier to cost reduce than 2 discreet chips.

That should be a big chip :)
Llano trinity are ~250 sq.mm
The GPU are roughly half the chip. 3 time the GPU gives a chip ~500sq.mm.
Should be a bit tiner at 28nm but still quiet a beast.

I was advocating for a big SoC I didn't considered this size.
With something this big 256bit bus won't be a problem at all.

From what I know so far Durango is... "weird". I need more details than what I have to confirm if it's officially "weird" or just a misunderstanding due to vague info.

The only thing we know is that Durango has more than 4 GB of memory, DDR3.

2GB is not going to be enough, but do we really need 8 GB or faster GPUs?

I hope they have at least a 2TF gpu.

By the way, will 4 cpu-threads be enough?

OK, with this 28nm CPU/GPU combination and these clock speeds [3.2ghz/800mhz], 2gb of gddr5 and HDD, what total tower consumption are we talking about?

Also, preformance difference between these specs and PS3/x360.

I would have rejected these out of hand but bgassasin says they are legit. The GPU being a 7970 is more of a typo or ignorance supposedly (obviously doesnt match the flops count), bg says it's more like an underclocked pitcairn.

Another thing I really question though is the APU part. I highly doubt they're going to cram 4 steamroller's plus a pitcairn onto a SOC (edit: OTOH, I do remember AMD talking a couple years ago about how great Fusion would be in consoles, so thats something, maybe it really is an SOC).

Come to think of it I highly doubt steamroller will be ready by late 13.

But as I said bg vouched for these and he was apparently right about some details of the Wii U (even if his overall estimation of it's power was way high).

I don't quite understand this rumour, AFAIK Fusion is a single chip, the x86 cores and GPU on that one chip. That rumour when from one chip and then saying both chips will manufacture in 28nm. I don't get that.

If I'm reading the rumours positively. It says PS4 will have

CPU+APU (Liverpool)
2 steamroller module (basically bulldozer) (4 x86 cores) (3.2 GHz)
Pitcairn level performance APU (800 MHz) giving 1.8TFLOPS (which is much improved to what AMD been putting out)
Manufacture in 28nm

GPU
'Tahiti' 7950/7970 level chip with 2GB GDDR5 over 128 or 256 bit interface.
Manufacture in 28nm

That's the current rumour for PS4 isn't ? AMD CPU+APU(Fusion) with a dedicated AMD GPU ?

Not that much different compare to PS3 with Cell(PPE+SPEs) and a GPU.

When they talk about SOC i think they are talking about an interposer connecting CPU and GPU that are in different packages. Building a huge only SOC chip would make yields very bad.

I noticed lherre weighed in on these specs :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38670054&postcount=395

At least that implies they were real at some point so on the right track, just outdated.

BGassasin also mentioned he heard Sony was reluctant to go to split pool memory, so that GDDR5 density increase was the only way they'd consider moving up to 4GB the way he understood.
How likely are 4Gb GDDR5 chips? If MS or Sony went to a manufacturer and ordered say 80-120 million chips over a 2 year period, would they be willing to go ahead with producing 4Gb chips?

I don't quite understand this rumour, AFAIK Fusion is a single chip, the x86 cores and GPU on that one chip. That rumour when from one chip and then saying both chips will manufacture in 28nm. I don't get that.

If I'm reading the rumours positively. It says PS4 will have

CPU+APU (Liverpool)
2 steamroller module (basically bulldozer) (4 x86 cores) (3.2 GHz)
Pitcairn level performance APU (800 MHz) giving 1.8TFLOPS (which is much improved to what AMD been putting out)
Manufacture in 28nm

GPU
'Tahiti' 7950/7970 level chip with 2GB GDDR5 over 128 or 256 bit interface.
Manufacture in 28nm

That's the current rumour for PS4 isn't ? AMD CPU+APU(Fusion) with a dedicated AMD GPU ?

Not that much different compare to PS3 with Cell(PPE+SPEs) and a GPU.

Nope. bgassasin and steviep confirmed that it's just an apu.
2 steamroller module, 18 CU's on the same chip, together with 2 GB of GDDR5.

But they are "very old" target specs, for some other insider. Things could have changed.

OK, with this 28nm CPU/GPU combination and these clock speeds [3.2ghz/800mhz], 2gb of gddr5 and HDD, what total tower consumption are we talking about?

Also, preformance difference between these specs and PS3/x360.

Not more than 150W

2 steamroller modules means 2 cores with 4 hardware threads -4 integer units and 2 fpus-?. I think it would be lacking for AI, physics...

Memory will be 4Gb. Naughty Dog and Guerrilla want it xD

Nope. bgassasin and steviep confirmed that it's just an apu.
2 steamroller module, 18 CU's on the same chip, together with 2 GB of GDDR5.

But they are "very old" target specs, for some other insider. Things could have changed.

The current AMD A10 is similar to this except the GPU is older and smaller, I'm guessing next year model will be the CPU+APU for PS4. Though the A10 is already at 246mm2. Upping to 18 CUs even with 28nm is going to be larger than 300mm2.

Also are these 'old' rumours saying PS4 doesn't have a dedicated GPU chip ? That would be sucks for performance. Sony should include 7970 class GPU in there at least. That would give PS4 the equivelent performance of XFire 7970 PCs, with console optimisation and all.

I think Sony should aim for something like this for PS4 in 2013 if using AMD part.

CPU+APU Liverpool:
2 Steamroller Module (Four x86 cores) @3.2 GHz with 4MB L2 Cache.
18 CUs (1152 Stream processors) @800 MHz
with its own 2 to 4 GB DDR3/GDDR5 memory.
~350mm2

GPU
32 CUs @800 MHz.
with its own 2-4 GB GDDR5.
~365mm2

Without the dedicated GPU, PS4 would be a little weak, might as well stick with the PS3 for a while longer.

2 steamroller modules means 2 cores with 4 hardware threads -4 integer units and 2 fpus-?. I think it would be lacking for AI, physics...

If it has dedicated GPU those APUs in the CPU can take over for physics. The 4 integer units is sufficient for AI.

The current AMD A10 is similar to this except the GPU is older and smaller, I'm guessing next year model will be the CPU+APU for PS4. Though the A10 is already at 246mm2. Upping to 18 CUs even with 28nm is going to be larger than 300mm2.

Also are these 'old' rumours saying PS4 doesn't have a dedicated GPU chip ? That would be sucks for performance. Sony should include 7970 class GPU in there at least. That would give PS4 the equivelent performance of XFire 7970 PCs, with console optimisation and all.

I think Sony should aim for something like this for PS4 in 2013 if using AMD part.

CPU+APU Liverpool:
2 Steamroller Module (Four x86 cores) @3.2 GHz with 4MB L2 Cache.
18 CUs (1152 Stream processors) @800 MHz
with its own 2 to 4 GB DDR3/GDDR5 memory.
~350mm2

GPU
32 CUs @800 MHz.
with its own 2-4 GB GDDR5.
~365mm2

Without the dedicated GPU, PS4 would be a little weak, might as well stick with the PS3 for a while longer.

Yes, PS4 doesn't have a dedicated GPU according to these rumors. It should be much more optimized than Llano and Trinity, but they may have only one 256bit memory controller with concurrent access to the unified memory. GDDR5 should give about 200 GB/s worth of bandwidth. Your specs are unfeasible, both costs and power consumption wise. :D

If it has dedicated GPU those APUs in the CPU can take over for physics. The 4 integer units is sufficient for AI.

If it does just have a single APU, can AMD's architecture efficiently handle mixing GPGPU tasks in with the graphics processing?

It sounds like another never-will-be-emulated-ever design. ;)

Some no name site called "VGleaks" has also provided a version of these specs, that lherre has said are more accurate than the others but still old http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38674037&postcount=491. He also made a post clarifying that "old" = "about a year ago".

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-ps4-in-deep-first-specs/

In exclusive we have the detailed first specs (not final) for PS4, most likely first alpha kits sent to developers:

TLDR SPECS

CPU

4 core (2 core pairs) 3.2 GHz AMD x86 (Steamroller)
aggregate, 10x PS3 PPU performance
512 KByte L2 per core pair
64 bit pointers

GPU

AMD R10x series GPU @ 800 MHz (Tahiti)
aggregate 10x RSX performance, 1.84 TFlops
DX”11.5″
cheap branching
18 compute units, focus on fine grained compute & tessellation

MEMORY:

2 GByte UMA, pushing for 4 GByte
192 GByte/ sec non-coherent access for e.g. GPU
12 GByte/ sec coherent access for CPU
>50% longer memory latency for CPU/ GPU compared to PC!!!
DXT is lowest bpp texture compression format

MEDIA:

50 GByte BD drive
PCAV, between 3.3 and 8x BD, most likely clamped to 6x
automatic background caching to HDD
HDD SKU with at least 380 GByte
downloadable games

EXTRA HARDWARE:

video encoder/ decoder
audio processing unit, ~200 concurrent MP3 streams
HW zlib decompressor

Our source claims that the final specs should be 10x powerful than PS3, due to this info has got 10 months.

According to those specs there are two speed access from Cpu and from Gpu to memory that would imply no shared bus and so no one chip Apu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back