Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, it's probably more work to make it not have 64-bit pointers.
The L2 size is pretty small and it would probably task the OoO engine a fair amount if the L2 has latency like current BD cores, on top of the apparent memory latency.

It's not too hard to imagine this having 10x the PPU capability from CELL, though.
We'd have to see if a GPU portion can step in as readily for other processing duties as the SPEs did.

1.8TFLOPS is still not enough for 1080p Samaritan, it needs 2.5T right? I hope they can push it to a 7870 for the final spec and 4g of GDDR5. Thought they wanted "The best and not the cheapest hardware", prove us you really mean it Sony :).

According to those specs there are two speed access from Cpu and from Gpu to memory that would imply no shared bus and so no one chip Apu.
I don't think so. It says unified memory architecture in the (supposed) list of specs, so memory access for on-chip devices would obviously be routed through a crossbar switch that prioritizes GPU access over CPU.

Still, I REALLY hope new-fangled, unannounced PS4 isn't based solely around what is essentially a ho-hum middle of the road budget PC component, and in fact does include a proper, separate GPU. If Sony's going with AMD chips, it could even have two physically separate memory pools for CPU and GPU and still logically treat them as one; AMD has been building NUMA architectures for their CPUs for like a decade now so it's entirely possible. If it's feasible, or cost-efficient enough, well, that's a different matter entirely. :LOL: I'm allowed to hope and dream though, am I not?

1.8TFLOPS is still not enough for 1080p Samaritan, it needs 2.5T right? I hope they can push it to a 7870 for the final spec and 4g of GDDR5. Thought they wanted "The best and not the cheapest hardware", prove us you really mean it Sony :).

I'm of the opinion it'll easily be enough with the advantages of closed box programming.

Why are people so down on these specs? On the one hand you have people pushing for a 480 SP 6670 in next Xbox, saying nothing more is feasible, OTOH you have people very unhappy with this 1152 SP part. What gives. It seems when we are discussing Xbox everybody wants weaker but when we discuss PS4 everybody is "IT MUST HAVE THE ABSOLUTE MOST POWER POSSIBLE PLEASE PLEASE".

To me this basically proves at least one next gen console is going to give us ~10x in practice, which plenty here naysayed.

Also, those in the know keep saying these specs are old. So I wonder whats changed and whether up or down.

I'm actually kind of bummed out the last few days because with E3 ending, we essentially wont satisfy my craving for more next gen knowledge until we near E3 2013 a year away. But these kind of leaks are a good sign, hopefully things will not be so locked down as Wii U. Hopefully we even have constant information in the year to June 2013.

BTW Crytek made weird statements on next gen

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/352932/crytek-were-already-way-beyond-next-gen-consoles/

"We were one of the first studios in the world to get access to all of the next-generation consoles. Obviously we can't talk about what they are but we know what next-gen entails. I think people... I'm not going to judge it because it'll get me in trouble, but next-gen is actually not a clear picture right now."

I have no idea what this statement means, it's so teasing.

'Best' can mean lots of different things. Best experience; best value; best features; easiest to program if you're a dev. ;) Doesn't just mean the most powerful hardware.

On the one hand you have people pushing for a 480 SP 6670 in next Xbox, saying nothing more is feasible
I don't recall anyone pushing for a 6670. It was justified as a valid option rather than dismissed out of hand by others, but no-one was corssing their fingers hoping for a 6670 to make their console dreams come true. ;)

A 256-bit GDDR5 bus would seem to imply a maximum 4GB (16-bit clamshell per DRAM). It's hard to expect any sort of stacking for GDDR5 at high speed/power consumption as well, but then we still don't have any updates to the roadmap (no idea when foundries would be able to move GDDR5 to a newer process node). If they were to go with 4GB right now, it'd certainly be a strange situation for devkits.

*192GB/s -> 256-bit GDDR5 @ 1500MHz/6Gbps

DXT is lowest bpp texture compression format

What a strange thing to mention of all things. :p

Eh, it's probably more work to make it not have 64-bit pointers.
I agree, if the APU is being made at 64 then it'll be 64 bit. It'd just be a stupid waste. That shows how far console design has come, from custom parts carefully balanced to off-the-shelf components thrown together to hit a pricepoint. [/cynic]

OK, with this 28nm CPU/GPU combination and these clock speeds [3.2ghz/800mhz], 2gb of gddr5 and HDD, what total tower consumption are we talking about?

Also, performance difference between these specs and PS3/x360.
High power consumption.
Trinity desktop SKU with decent perfs are announced at 100Watts of TDP.
I would bet +150 Watts. Possibly close of 200Watts. EDIT llano can peak around 130 Watts according to hardware.fr measurements. 200 Watts seems reasonable.
Still there is only one chip so you may optimize the cooling system and air flow better.

Difference in perfs between a 3 SIMD GPU @550MHz (xenon) and a 18 SIMD GPU multiple generation ahead? Even clock for clock I would say huge.

4 piledriver cores would run around Xenon already, I don't know for streamroller. I would assume that they will get better. I would not be surprised if AMD widen its SIMD to follow Intel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, if the APU is being made at 64 then it'll be 64 bit. It'd just be a stupid waste. That shows how far console design has come, from custom parts carefully balanced to off-the-shelf components thrown together to hit a pricepoint. [/cynic]
There was some talk wrt to the 64bits address space following Dice announcement.
It was a bit over my head but if I got it properly it has benefit wrt to virtual address space.
See this post seems to make sense no matter the amount of RAM :)

There was some talk wrt to the 64bits address space following Dice announcement.
It was a bit over my head but if I got it properly it has benefit wrt to virtual address space.
See this post seems to make sense no matter the amount of RAM :)
I may be wrong, but I understand that to mean in the PC space where the memory map is chopped up thanks to Windows. In a console, the memory address space should be very tidy, with OS at the front and everything else after it I guess.

Difference between Durango and Wii-U is equal to or slightly bigger than the difference between Dreamcast and Xbox according to a confirmed developer on Neogaf. What does that say to us?

http://www.segatech.com/technical/consolecompare/index.html

The above article makes it seem like the Xbox GPU has a 18x(!) advantage over Dreamcast. The Xbox looked like it was seriously bottlenecked by its ram.
It's more ~ x10. The only thing that is x18 is texels fill rates.

Anyway quiet a difference no matter what.

Difference between Durango and Wii-U is equal to or slightly bigger than the difference between Dreamcast and Xbox according to a confirmed developer on Neogaf. What does that say to us?

The above article makes it seem like the Xbox GPU has a 18x(!) advantage over Dreamcast. The Xbox looked like it was seriously bottlenecked by its ram.
Can you link me with that post?

I'd disregard it. lherre was only asked "is difference between Wii U: Durango more like PS2:Xbox or Dreamcast:Xbox". Given those two options he chose the greater gap without comment.

Certainly the gap between Wii U (seems basically current gen +/- 50%) and these rumored PS4 spec (10X current gen) already looks pretty mammoth.

Though I guess, if the rumors of Wii U having at least 1GB RAM (though if this is true I havent seen it in any games yet) and Orbis having only 2GB, there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back