Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
IBM said something relatively recently about working with Cell technology for the next generation of gaming consoles, so I assume Sony is not abandoning Cell for the PS4. Perhaps they're just doing it for backwards compatibility, though.

I wonder how much use Cell would be to PS3 if it had a more modern GPU..
I feel like devoting a lot more power to post processing effects could yield great results :)

Hm, I don't know what all is contained within 'post processing', I guess. I suppose a Cell-equipped PS4 with a modern GPU could idle a lot of things being done on SPUs now in terms of culling, geometry processing, etc., but presumably the post-processing load on a PS4 would be higher due to higher resolution and frame rate. I wonder how those countervailing tendencies would tend to balance out.

I.e., would the current Cell be fast enough to still be relevant in a PS4 if a lot of the stuff it has been doing to make up for RSX was taken away from it, or would a next gen Cell still be needed to balance out the scale up of memory and graphics.

I think it's almost more fun thinking about these things and obsessing over the tech than it is to actually play the games. :LOL:

Does anyone care to predict the when? The when has as much to do with the what as the what does to the when. Since we can't tell what we're going to be faced with come next generation how about the when? If we knew when we could better allign what technologies will be available and work backwards from then to a likely starting date in order to try to figure out which technologies are in the viable useage window and which aren't.

WHEN!?!

I would like for the consoles to come in with a built in calibration tool and follow the same gamma curve that you'd have with BluRay movies.

Does anyone care to predict the when? The when has as much to do with the what as the what does to the when. Since we can't tell what we're going to be faced with come next generation how about the when? If we knew when we could better allign what technologies will be available and work backwards from then to a likely starting date in order to try to figure out which technologies are in the viable useage window and which aren't.

WHEN!?!

The "when" is definitely intriguing. Personally I'm dumbfounded that we haven't figured it out by now. There's even a rumor that Microsoft is going to be focusing more on PC gaming with Windows 8 in 2012.
What does that say about their future focus on Xbox? Would they release a next gen Xbox at the same time they launch Windows 8? I wouldn't think so, but who knows?! LOL

Tommy McClain

I thought microsoft focused enough on PC gaming since well, about 1997 by providing DirectX.
the only and most significant step they've done since is the X360 gamepad - now the best they could do is a windows logo or "games for windows" logo program to put on 3rd party gamepads's boxes.

WHEN!?!

I predict 2013 September earliest for Xbox Next. Sony may decide to speed up PS4 launch and target 2013 too, but they may also decide to wait for PS3 to make more profit and go for 2014 launch. It is a big gamble on their part. One year late launch with respect to Xbox is risky. It is a dramatic decision which may affect the outcome of next generation landscape. We have to wait and see.

Nintendo are in their own league and most probably they will not target their next system as high as MS and Sony. They have the option to milk Wii to its fullest until 2013 or go one year early and launch Wii HD in 2012. My guess is they will go for 2013.

The "when" is definitely intriguing. Personally I'm dumbfounded that we haven't figured it out by now. There's even a rumor that Microsoft is going to be focusing more on PC gaming with Windows 8 in 2012.
What does that say about their future focus on Xbox? Would they release a next gen Xbox at the same time they launch Windows 8? I wouldn't think so, but who knows?! LOL

Tommy McClain

A big hint IMO.

The hardware-for-profit model allows MS many new avenues for future consoles with PC integration.

If MS is making money on xb720 from day one, then they don't care (as much) if people want to use them as PC's.

I suspect this news of emphasis on windows gaming, if true, is leading toward a for profit from day one business model. For them to commit to such a thing, they must have inside info on Sony targeting a similar performance window (~$300 cost hardware at launch).

MS may choose to allow "xb720" certified PC's from all sorts of hardware manufacturers and have one MS branded "official xb720" (with an optional "pc pack" with windows and a kb/mouse).

This idea allows for SIGNIFICANT R&D savings and a huge potential install base that obviously goes beyond the traditional gaming demographic (*ahem* bluray).

Basically merging the pc gaming and xbox into one world.

Which hardware to pick for this standard is obviously controversial, but I think it's safe to say it will be Fusion based.

WHEN!?!

When 28nm at IBM, GloFlo and TSMC becomes mature enough for mass production with reasonable yields.

If that is missed (because PS3 and Xbox360 sales do not decline) then I believe Sony and MS will target the next node shrink at 22nm.

As we are going through rumors about Ms planning on a push on "pc" gaming along with windows 8, how about hte rumors about Ms planning for a ARM based version of Windows? How about the ARM license they got a while ago?
I'm completely lost for now and I would not take a bet about what's going on.

As we are going through rumors about Ms planning on a push on "pc" gaming along with windows 8, how about hte rumors about Ms planning for a ARM based version of Windows? How about the ARM license they got a while ago?

ARM has more to do with mobile computing than anything gaming related IMO.

MS are likely looking to build/port windows for ARM based tablets.

What about an ARM based OS subprocessor?

Maybe what the Wii had was a good idea? Remember how the Wii has Wii Connect 24? It can work in the background using a lower power ARM processor and do all sorts of nifty online things whilst the console itself sleeps.

Now in this case it would enable Microsoft to do all sorts of nifty things. For starters it would enable them to use Kinect to wake/sleep the console. It would also allow them to segregate the main OS/Kernel from the majority of the console which ought to make it harder for hackers to execute malicious code and it would allow them to share a codebase with their Windows ARM project and potentially many of the same applications for Windows Phone and Windows Tablet formats. Finally it would enable them to go into an ultra low power state for media playback and other basic tasks.

I think the idea of ARM on consoles is a good one and is worth considering especially since Nintendo has already shown that it can be useful.

Maybe what the Wii had was a good idea? Remember how the Wii has Wii Connect 24? It can work in the background using a lower power ARM processor and do all sorts of nifty online things whilst the console itself sleeps.

Now in this case it would enable Microsoft to do all sorts of nifty things. For starters it would enable them to use Kinect to wake/sleep the console. It would also allow them to segregate the main OS/Kernel from the majority of the console which ought to make it harder for hackers to execute malicious code and it would allow them to share a codebase with their Windows ARM project and potentially many of the same applications for Windows Phone and Windows Tablet formats. Finally it would enable them to go into an ultra low power state for media playback and other basic tasks.

I think the idea of ARM on consoles is a good one and is worth considering especially since Nintendo has already shown that it can be useful.

with an arm chip they can most likely port win mo 7 to a next gen xbox. Would be pretty nice hub to use with the kinect

I wonder how going with a completely ARM based system for the Wii 2/HD/WTF could simplify development for teams who already have a wealth of experience with other ARM based computing systems. It could also give currently dedicated iOS/Cell phone game developers a fighting chance in the console biz, especially if Nintendo pushes an app-store like model with more than just titles from old systems. Unfortunately I still see BC as being an early console life issue unless there is a plethora of software, in which case, I entertain myself to the idea of the Wii 2 containing a Cell or Cell derived central processor with OpenCL compatible in the AMD Juniper class with 4 GB of XDR2.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as Wii, it probably means nothing, but I noticed 3DS is a generation jump from DS. Considering for example the RAM, 4MB for DS versus 64MB for 3DS, or 16X. Generation jumps are typically 8-16X. Similarly 3DS compares to a Xbox or GC, whereas PSP2 would likely be closer to Xbox 360, and is rumored to have 1GB RAM.

It seems like Nintendo hardware is progressing, but perhaps they wish to stay one generation behind. Just a thought. If true, X360/PS3 power could be their next console stop.

I wonder how going with a completely ARM based system for the Wii 2/HD/WTF could simplify development for teams who already have a wealth of experience with other ARM based computing systems. It could also give currently dedicated iOS/Cell phone game developers a fighting chance in the console biz, especially if Nintendo pushes an app-store like model with more than just titles from old systems.

They wouldn't really need the ARM architecture really to attract the developers, they would simply need to support the right programming languages such as Java etc which are used to make the handheld games and possible implement the right control interface in order to tap into that innovative pool of developers.

On the other hand an ARM based architecture might make sense from the perspective of sharing a similar code base with their handheld game consoles and potentially in terms of overall power consumption. Once you consider a fast(er) Blu Ray drive you don't have much power left over if you want to keep a Wii like form factor without going for more exotic cooling such as vapour chambers.

Backwards compatibility shouldn't be too hard to achieve however they do it. The PPC core in the Wii probably won't take up much space on the 28nm process given the fact it was already quite tiny on the 90nm process, heck they could probably throw the whole Wii onto an add in card and sell it for $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back