Predict: Next gen console tech (10th generation edition) [2028+]

Well, even without a survey I would assume Nintendo Switch has a diverse age range.

On Nintendo ads, you see primarly adults playing the console. This does speak something.
I’m not sure why you guys are reading my comments like ‘only kids buy Switch’.

I said specifically adults don’t buy Switch for the mobile functionality. The adults buy it for the exclusives and play it docked.

Because you said the Steam Deck has more competition. That’s fine, include the competition in the count, handheld PCs are a tiny market and Xbox trying to emulate that will end up with an expensive failure.

Provide a reliable data source for all the handheld competition hardware sales and I'll happily count it for you.

What is your concept in terms of hardware for the next generation of Xbox?
A traditional console. I hope they focus less on gamepass and more on making something cheaper than Sony’s offering, which is how they won the last generation they did well in (PS360).

Beyond the specs of the plastic box, one thing they suck at compared to PS is the controller. They ought to add gyro and more detailed feedback a la DualSense. Give it TMR thumbsticks and I’ll say that’s a really good iteration on their controller, considering the Series controller is virtually identical to the One controller.

What I hope they don’t do is ‘chase butterflies’, as they have been doing. Trying to emulate the new hotness won’t win them the generation. I think focusing on the fundamentals, coming out with good games (easier said than done but they own half the studios out there by now lol) and beating Sony on either price or performance will get them there though.

Oh, and tbh contrary to popular beliefs I do believe the series S was a success, most console gamers don’t care about top tier performance so they will buy the cheaper box that promises next generation-ish games (especially considering this generation has barely iterated on graphical tech).

Provide a reliable data source for all the handheld competition hardware sales and I'll happily count it for you.
Yeah finding sales figures for this will be difficult, I agree. However even the most wild estimates have these handhelds selling much less than the consoles do. That is to say, I don’t think a handheld Xbox is the answer here.

A traditional console. I hope they focus less on gamepass and more on making something cheaper than Sony’s offering, which is how they won the last generation they did well in (PS360).

Beyond the specs of the plastic box, one thing they suck at compared to PS is the controller. They ought to add gyro and more detailed feedback a la DualSense. Give it TMR thumbsticks and I’ll say that’s a really good iteration on their controller, considering the Series controller is virtually identical to the One controller.

What I hope they don’t do is ‘chase butterflies’, as they have been doing. Trying to emulate the new hotness won’t win them the generation. I think focusing on the fundamentals, coming out with good games (easier said than done but they own half the studios out there by now lol) and beating Sony on either price or performance will get them there though.

Oh, and tbh contrary to popular beliefs I do believe the series S was a success, most console gamers don’t care about top tier performance so they will buy the cheaper box that promises next generation-ish games (especially considering this generation has barely iterated on graphical tech).
Thanks to Gamepass, 6 MS games every year for 12x18€=216€ instead of 6x70€=420€, and that's only this year and only MS games. And not to mention at least as many multiplatform Gamepass titles that I can play for gratis because of the subscription. That's €216 per year instead of at least €840. Gamepass is a great thing for us gamers.

If the recipe you described was the only one, then MS would only have to release a new controller (khm, they're still releasing it this year, hello?) and run the current Series X/S consoles for 10 years.

The expectation of many good games is obvious and an important aspect. But this in itself is not an answer to the positioning of the next hardware in the market.

Thanks to Gamepass, 6 MS games every year for 12x18€=216€ instead of 6x70€=420€, and that's only this year and only MS games. And not to mention at least as many multiplatform Gamepass titles that I can play for gratis because of the subscription. That's €216 per year instead of at least €840. Gamepass is a great thing for us gamers.

If the recipe you described was the only one, then MS would only have to release a new controller (khm, they're still releasing it this year, hello?) and run the current Series X/S consoles for 10 years.

The expectation of many good games is obvious and an important aspect. But this in itself is not an answer to the positioning of the next hardware in the market.
Most people don't even play six games a year. Maybe half of that.

Those value calculations for those services have never been right to me. Let's assume that Microsoft launches 6 new games a year, what's the quality of those games? Are you interested in them?

I'm particularly picky on the games that I want to play, and most people that I know are too.

If you are a super hardcore gamer, those services are probably good, for anyone else, I don't think so.

Yeah that’s nice math except almost none of the MS games are worth playing (maybe Black ops 6). Also creating a ‘great thing for gamers’ means little if they can’t make a sustainable profit on it.

Running the current consoles for ten years is acceptable, that’s called a generation. A new generation should come with a new controller. This is basically all PS5 did and they clobbered Xbox.

Yeah that’s nice math except almost none of the MS games are worth playing (maybe Black ops 6).
Hahaha... That's just your opinion.
Interestingly, many of us are very good at playing MS games. Starfield is played and enjoyed by millions because it has been improved a LOT with updates. If you doubt it, check how many people are playing it, go the official site in the Creations menu, the most popular creations have been played by more than 10 million people in recent months. Personally, my company and I play very well with Filght Simulator and we have many hundreds of hours of multiplayer in Forza Motorsport. But I could also mention the success of Sea of Thieves, or the most beautiful game title of the generation, HB2.

So it's just a matter of perspective, who likes what, but there are a good number of good and popular games here. But, that's not for this topic. Here we are talking about nextgen hardware.

I’m not sure why everyone is convinced we need console handhelds again. Steam Deck sold a few million units, which is good but it’s clearly a niche product. For reference even the ‘loser’ console (Series X/S) sold over 20 million. Where is the demand for this class of product that would justify the amount of R&D required to make it?
Because Steam Deck is much more expensive than mainstream price and it can still sell several million. It shows great potential of handheld and hybrid console market.

Some may say Steam Deck has $399 model but it can only play AAA games for 1 hour which is totally unacceptable by most users.

If anyone can release a handheld with $399 and 2 hours AAA gameplay it will sell much better.

I’m not sure why you guys are reading my comments like ‘only kids buy Switch’.

I said specifically adults don’t buy Switch for the mobile functionality. The adults buy it for the exclusives and play it docked.
I don't think that's true either. Handheld play fits in many adults lifestyles for plenty of reasons.

Steam Deck marketing is not like Switch's, I would say SD barely have it. Also, it does not have the same retail presence.

It's a niche product by design.
There is a smorgasbord of PC handhelds out now, some with advertising and retail presence. Those are even less popular. I’m just not seeing it.

Back