Predict: Next gen console tech (10th generation edition) [2028+]

Define 'proper generational leaps'

I don't feel defining it from a numbers perspective makes sense but rather it should be user oriented. As in how much "wow' factor in terms of an A/B blind test.

The conventional purists may not like this but interestingly because of the relative lack of both RT and ML this generation there is an interesting possibility of what you could consider low hanging fruit for next gen that otherwise wouldn't exist in terms of pure transistor scaling.

The jump from base Xbox One to Xbox Series x was pretty substantial. Teraflops increased from 1.31 to 12.15. The CPU also a large jump.

And like always before judging this console, wait we are fully out of the cross gen period or games where developement began on PS4. We will probably see real current gen games with GTA 6, Forza Horizon 6, Gears 6, Hellblade 2, Fable, all AAA UE 5.4 or later version games like the next Witcher, the first Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Sony Santa Monica real current game, the 2nd wave Bluepoint game, Wolverine and so on.

Many games began their life as PS4 games like FF16

The cross gen period was longer because of COVID. The best visuals will come from 2024 and later.

Both of them had all the time to produce one for smartphones, but where are they? Windows on arm will be a niche for at least 5 years.
Maybe they saw what apple did with they're chips and started working on it then?
The M1 came out in November 2020, so 5 years of development sounds about right.
DLSS on a smartphone would be incredible

Both of them had all the time to produce one for smartphones, but where are they? Windows on arm will be a niche for at least 5 years.
NVIDIA tried, Tegra started from phones with their own cores. AMD has only Opterons based on Cortex cores, but they probably learned a lot from Kellers K12 which never saw the light of day so they're not going blind to custom Arm cores either (assuming they actually are doing it, rumors are rumors)

NVIDIA tried, Tegra started from phones with their own cores. AMD has only Opterons based on Cortex cores, but they probably learned a lot from Kellers K12 which never saw the light of day so they're not going blind to custom Arm cores either (assuming they actually are doing it, rumors are rumors)
However x86 CPUs are still the major processors of PCs in next 15 years. Why chooses ARM for the new home console?

Unless ms wants a handheld console, too.

Maybe they saw what apple did with they're chips and started working on it then?
The M1 came out in November 2020, so 5 years of development sounds about right.
DLSS on a smartphone would be incredible
Some vendors are a lot less inspired than you think by what Apple 'did'. Moving to another host architecture entails starting with a clean slate. I can't see how either of the big x86 CPU vendors (including AMD) would want to relinquish their advantage in monopolizing PC/console game development. Emulation isn't ever going to realistically solve that problem too ...

Some vendors are a lot less inspired than you think by what Apple 'did'. Moving to another host architecture entails starting with a clean slate. I can't see how either of the big x86 CPU vendors (including AMD) would want to relinquish their advantage in monopolizing PC/console game development. Emulation isn't ever going to realistically solve that problem too ...
What I see is that apple has started a trend, and companies are clearly working on it to not be left behind. Who knows if Qualcomm launches they're chips and somehow they are hugely successful, AMD and Nvidia will not just stand around doing nothing.

What I see is that apple has started a trend, and companies are clearly working on it to not be left behind. Who knows if Qualcomm launches they're chips and somehow they are hugely successful, AMD and Nvidia will not just stand around doing nothing.
Apple systems are designed around the optimal daily user experience, not for PC/console games or even high-end professional/productivity applications. Qualcomm already has a few products with Windows on ARM and much of the general public are sleeping on them. Microsoft customer =/= Apple customer

I can see how AMD would be perfectly content with just "standing around" since they already have a good thing on and their current CEO cancelled their only ARM CPU project. As for Nvidia, it's totally up to them if they want to risk losing their entire PC gaming market by tying in their GPUs to their in-house CPUs ...

Apple systems are designed around the optimal daily user experience, not for PC/console games or even high-end professional/productivity applications. Qualcomm already has a few products with Windows on ARM and much of the general public are sleeping on them. Microsoft customer =/= Apple customer

A large percentage of people working in media, print, music production, graphic design etc. work on Mac. The same goes for developers.

I think your definition of "high-end" is certainly tainted or gone off a cliff somewhere. You can game just fine on a Mac. The M1 Max GPU is already equal to Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X. The CPU way ahead.

It's true you can't get something like the Geforce RTX 4090 in them but only 1% or less of gamers own such a card anyway (looking at the Steam Survey).

A large percentage of people working in media, print, music production, graphic design etc. work on Mac. The same goes for developers.

I think your definition of "high-end" is certainly tainted or gone off a cliff somewhere.
They're fine for artists, web development, and mobile apps but not so much for data scientists (AI/ML), programmers (visual studio), or other productivity apps (CAD/simulation software) ...
The M1 Max GPU is already equal to Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X. The CPU way ahead.

It's true you can't get something like the Geforce RTX 4090 in them but only 1% or less of gamers own such a card anyway (looking at the Steam Survey).
Apple GPUs still don't have feature parity in real-time graphics since they're currently missing support for ray tracing in commercial game engines such as Unreal/Unity and they only just got support for Nanite (M2 Max). What good is all that CPU performance for if most anti-cheat software developers refuse support them ?

The big question is : does ms really have much benefit to use ARM CPU instead of X86, just for next "home console" ?

The big question is : does ms really have much benefit to use ARM CPU instead of X86, just for next "home console" ?
No. With their PC / Xbox strategy going ARM would make no sense at all, it would be foolish even. They'll go ARM when the majority of multiplat games will be coded for ARM first. This is clearly not happening in 4 years.

I expect they'll do neither strategy that was leaked. Those slides (ARM, next-gen in 2028) could even have being made to confuse Sony in the case they'd be disclosed.

Back