Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

My feeling also is that this leak is more engineered than happenstance. There was certainly curiosity on their part as to how the revelation would be received. Does that mean it was leaked on purpose from the beginning? I wouldn't go there, but we got some surprisingly detailed specs in short order so maybe they weren't too put out by the leak.

I figured they were too lazy to do that.

They are, so Sony had to leak it for them....

They leaked the specs after the PS4.5 console was already leaked on GAF and the buzz (and FUD) machine was already on (I think the thread had more than one million clicks).

This.

What really makes me think this was a controlled leak, was all the careful preemptive PR wording in the dev documentation on how they (Sony) and developers will avoid pissing off the current PS4 user base.

It's all good though, IMHO. Get's gamers excited (or not) about the new approach Sony/MS are taking.

I'd wager that it'll be a slim model with some performance improvements (not PS4K level of power). An E3 surprise (you can get one today) would be very cool.

I'd wager that it'll be a slim model with some performance improvements (not PS4K level of power). An E3 surprise (you can get one today) would be very cool.
Really? Performance improvements? I would think it's just a straight up slim revision...

If these iterative console releases are for thoes who wish to pay more for better performance, will graphics options be likely to hit console?
Especially if a large proportion either don't have a 4k TV or would prefer prettier pixels at 1080.

Not beyond what's convenient for devs, and we're already seeing some of those such options, such as framerate options and post effect options. Perhaps a high framerate mode.

If these iterative console releases are for thoes who wish to pay more for better performance, will graphics options be likely to hit console?
Especially if a large proportion either don't have a 4k TV or would prefer prettier pixels at 1080.
It would probably be more work for the developer to do this than just optimize for 2 different versions...

Really? Performance improvements? I would think it's just a straight up slim revision...

I think it's more than a slim revision. Phil hinted at "hardware innovations" earlier this year (in context, it was clear he was talking about specs), now they're clearing inventory with this $50 off promotion.. the X360 discontinued press release ended with hints.. lots of new Xbox promo stuff has dropped "Xbox One" and now just say "Xbox" ... it all adds up!

I think it will be straight up Slim model. Maybe with minor tweaks like using hybrid hard-drive from the Xbox One Elite, but other than that no improvements, not even hitting the original PS4 levels of performance.

I think it will be straight up Slim model. Maybe with minor tweaks like using hybrid hard-drive from the Xbox One Elite, but other than that no improvements, not even hitting the original PS4 levels of performance.
When I say no performance improvements I'm referring to GPU/CPU/memory. It's possible that the slim model has a better hard drive or wifi adapter or includes a hdmi 2.0 port.

When I say no performance improvements I'm referring to GPU/CPU/memory. It's possible that the slim model has a better hard drive or wifi adapter or includes a hdmi 2.0 port.

Yup. I agree with your assessment. I was just adding what I thought might be revised. I forgot about the revised WiFi which should include 802.11ac.

i just don't see the point of not adding hdmi 2, and say trying to get gpu up to say 900Mhz.
gpu upclock would be better use of budget than hybrid drive in my eyes.
with out those i hardly see the point in them even bothering with a slim tbh.

I’ve always been an Xbox guy, but Sony has PSVR this fall and PS4K on the horizon… and Microsoft has the same system, just smaller? Hard to type that without yawning! E3 isn’t too far away, so at least we don’t have long to wait!

Back