Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

And at the end of the day, this means they have to sell. Present a deal that is perceived as better than that of their competition. They are failing to do that now in console space, Sony is acting to extend their lead, Nintendo will step up to the plate and make their play, and Microsoft responds with what? Opaque corporate strategy?

If by 'fail' you mean being less successful than Sony than I agree. But I think a real selling point would be a gaming ecosystem where you could buy a game and have it work on any Windows device could be a huge selling device. E.g. Steam++

Microsoft should do what they do best: work on foundation technologies and platforms that gives other manufacturers the ability to provide a variety of hardware. That's not to say Microsoft shouldn't make their own hardware, they should if they can turn a profit and they seem pretty good at it.

Not sure where to put this in the millions of threads but this looks like a good parking spot. Ekim is Gaffer/B3Der with apparently MS contacts (he told me about Ms possibly enabling redundant XBO CU's long before Eurogamer interview corroborated it), on twitter he said

https://twitter.com/ekim_gaf

If a new Xbox happens, it will get a dedicated event. This event would get announced this week. If we don't get anything it's not happening

There is still the chance (and I think it's likely) they will announce a new box but for next year.

Xbox One Slim is still coming. 100% this Fall.

BTW I read it as if there's a Xbox 4k coming in 2016, the event for it would announced this week. If it isn't, he still deems Xbox 4k in 2017 likely anyhow. That's how I read it anyway.

Microsoft had problems even PR managing the release of games on both one and pc, how can they be able to release a new version?

Last edited:
why would it cannibalise a slim? Pretty sure it will cost more, enough to differentiate anyway.
also news of the ps4 neo would probably cannibalise it more, so they need to combat that

I can only think of halo mcc that they had problems releasing on xb1, pc that's a whole different issue, one that many publishers have had.
pc is an issue in its own right, and doesn't compare to different versions of xb1 even if they are trying to bring them closer together

I get the feeling that MS didn't expect Sony to be potentially launching this year or early next. Hopefully, they don't rush and compromise.

If they do wait until next year, they potentially could deliver something that's even more powerful especially with a new CPU instead of Jaguar.

However, I could see MS announce something this year even if not launching this year. With Sony and Nintendo launching this year, they may want to get some consumers to hold off any purchases this year. I think a cheap PS4, the 4K, and NX, will do more to hurt X1 sales than a potential announcement of the next Xbox. I think MS is kind of screwed.

Neo-like but with a faster Zen CPU, 16GB of memory, SSD cache and 100GB game disks (because games are already bloating out past 50GB even with 5GB of game accessible ram) would be an okay starting point.

If MS are going to announce this year and launch next they're going to need to spoil this years new hardware releases, in much the same vein as Sony did in 2005 with their fake-flops and FMV-presented-as-in-game-footage carnival of lies. Though hopefully they can do it without the lies.

Sony and MS have been remarkably un-blantantly-deceitful in recent years and I quite like it.

Neo-like but with a faster Zen CPU, 16GB of memory, SSD cache and 100GB game disks (because games are already bloating out past 50GB even with 5GB of game accessible ram) would be an okay starting point.

If MS are going to announce this year and launch next they're going to need to spoil this years new hardware releases, in much the same vein as Sony did in 2005 with their fake-flops and FMV-presented-as-in-game-footage carnival of lies. Though hopefully they can do it without the lies.

Sony and MS have been remarkably un-blantantly-deceitful in recent years and I quite like it.
But the worst Sony was not 2005 IMO, but pre-PS2 release when they murdered the honest and efficient Dreamcast with their high on paper numbers and a PR promise. Emotion Engine and what not. When only a handful of games years, years later really fulfilled that promise.

For the record I believed them when I bought an incredibly expensive launch PAL PS2, and I wasn't made of money, very far from it at that time, it was the worst decision I have ever done on the subject of buying new hardware. In a way I contributed to kill the Dreamcast. You can blame me. :yep2:

why would it cannibalise a slim? Pretty sure it will cost more, enough to differentiate anyway.
also news of the ps4 neo would probably cannibalise it more, so they need to combat that

A 2016 PS4k, a Christmas NX and on top of that the announcement of an improved Xbox for 2017, would make for a really cold winter in Msland...

If by 'fail' you mean being less successful than Sony than I agree. But I think a real selling point would be a gaming ecosystem where you could buy a game and have it work on any Windows device could be a huge selling device. E.g. Steam++.
I guess this is what I just don't see. I have a gaming PC, why would I buy a console to play the same game I can already play on my PC? Or turn that around, if someone has an XBOne, what are the odds that the same individual has a gaming worthy PC, AND want to play the same game on both platforms?
No matter how I turn it over in my head, I just can't see where all the new customers would come from.

A 2016 PS4k, a Christmas NX and on top of that the announcement of an improved Xbox for 2017, would make for a really cold winter in Msland...
I think the slim needs to come in at a sub 250 price point, even then it will be very hard on them.
that's one of the reasons I think announcing new box for next year may make people hold of on going Sony/nx more than cannibalising themselves

With MS the longer they wait the better of an idea we get in terms of what technologies they will be working with. If they are waiting for something in particular it would have to wait until next year until it's ready.

That being said an interim solution wouldn't be in the cards for MS short of over-clocking their existing product to epic proportions.

They are in a tough position but nothing has been confirmed for release this year except maybe NX? I guess this years road to E3 and E3 will be quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the slim needs to come in at a sub 250 price point, even then it will be very hard on them.
that's one of the reasons I think announcing new box for next year may make people hold of on going Sony/nx more than cannibalising themselves
2017 may be a little too early if they have a proper slim in the pipe (by proper I mean significantly cheaper than Sony offering), they could make it so information is leaked early to steal lot of thunder from Sony. Sony will be stuck to the PS4 and PS4+ for a while.

But the worst Sony was not 2005 IMO, but pre-PS2 release when they murdered the honest and efficient Dreamcast with their high on paper numbers and a PR promise. Emotion Engine and what not. When only a handful of games years, years later really fulfilled that promise.

For the record I believed them when I bought an incredibly expensive launch PAL PS2, and I wasn't made of money, very far from it at that time, it was the worst decision I have ever done on the subject of buying new hardware. In a way I contributed to kill the Dreamcast. You can blame me. :yep2:
I did something really close, well ahead of the PS2 launch I sold my dreamcast while its was still valuable and contribute to its death too. Though when I saw the looks of the early PS2 games compares to how "arcade'ish the dreamcast was I simply pass to buy a PC (which never satisfied me).

Deception is a powerful too, and speaking of MSFT strategy it is a great time to play it, SONy is stuck with ps4 the worst but quite possibly for the best. MSFT by synching with technology instead of made out plans can release a system significantly more powerful than Sony and they can start the ads whever they want. A one year one year and a half gap is not that much if you think about how people held in Europe for the PS3 (even though the 360 was selling decently). It will be a long while till 10 nm land which in turn will prevent Sony system to outdo a system released before theirs.
What I mean is that there would be more than deception to such a move MSFT would not be lying new IP are around the corners, within year the process will be more mature and so will the IPs.

Well MS is certainly doing the right thing doing nothing. If you were in the market for the PS4 you're going to put everything on hold. Either you wait for the Neo and buy that, or you wait for the Neo and see if there is a price drop on PS4.

Luckily Sony has some key exclusives from here to a speculated launch window but it's still not optimal for this leak to have been released.

If MS does have something they definitely need to keep it under wraps until extremely close to launch.

Well MS is certainly doing the right thing doing nothing. If you were in the market for the PS4 you're going to put everything on hold. Either you wait for the Neo and buy that, or you wait for the Neo and see if there is a price drop on PS4.

Luckily Sony has some key exclusives from here to a speculated launch window but it's still not optimal for this leak to have been released.

If MS does have something they definitely need to keep it under wraps until extremely close to launch.

Obviously but they should have expected a leak would happen in this day and age. They should had dealt only with developers tied with strict NDAs, not videogame retailers.

It's not like all of us didn't know that most US retailers were full of untrustworthy leakers. Sony should have known better, and I bet they knew. Several of their top executives are heavy social networks users.

Obviously but they should have expected a leak would happen in this day and age. They should had dealt only with developers tied with strict NDAs, not videogame retailers.

It's not like all of us didn't know that most US retailers were full of untrustworthy leakers. Sony should have known better, and I bet they knew. Several of their top executives are heavy social networks users.
Agreed, a little surprised by the video game retailer bit to be honest. Is that the main source of this leak?

Back