Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

With PS4 in the equation, though, I think you are more likely to see a non-UWP PC build be a common root that other builds (including a UWP PC build) are adopted from.

True the sheer popularity of PS4 makes it a strong focus for publishers. But is BF1 ported to PC or vice versa? It uses DX12 on PC. UWP doesnt have a specific programming language, you can use the same as you do now for PC no?

True the sheer popularity of PS4 makes it a strong focus for publishers. But is BF1 ported to PC or vice versa? It uses DX12 on PC. UWP doesnt have a specific programming language, you can use the same as you do now for PC no?

It's more that while I can see UWP as a way to get XBox One exclusives onto PC as well, I don't really see it working the other way. In other words, multiplatform titles might get a UWP version on PC, but it won't be because it will make the Xbox One version easier to develop.

It's more that while I can see UWP as a way to get XBox One exclusives onto PC as well, I don't really see it working the other way. In other words, multiplatform titles might get a UWP version on PC, but it won't be because it will make the Xbox One version easier to develop.
what about scorpio tho. Get devs to start developing for scoprio by making dx12 uwp on pc and then you can port it both ways to xbox one and xbox scorpio

what about scorpio tho. Get devs to start developing for scoprio by making dx12 uwp on pc and then you can port it both ways to xbox one and xbox scorpio

I don't see the advantage when developing anything that is going to show up on a non-MS platform (including Steam) since you have to optimize for the specific hardware in the Xbox consoles anyway. The necessary changes to support UWP could be included as part of that development process and then that code can be re-used for a potential Windows Store PC version.

I don't see the advantage when developing anything that is going to show up on a non-MS platform (including Steam) since you have to optimize for the specific hardware in the Xbox consoles anyway. The necessary changes to support UWP could be included as part of that development process and then that code can be re-used for a potential Windows Store PC version.
well for the short term some money most likely. MS may offer lower liscensing deals for xbox and scorpio if you release on windows store also.

well for the short term some money most likely. MS may offer lower liscensing deals for xbox and scorpio if you release on windows store also.

Well, firstly, I didn't say UWP PC builds wouldn't exist. In fact I think it's very likely that MS will start working hard on getting third parties on board with Play Anywhere, once the current issues with UWP on the PC for games get ironed out, through co-marketing deals at least. And secondly, this doesn't address the position I did take which was that ease of Xbox ports wasn't going to be what incentivizes developers to make Windows Store versions of their games.

I think technically speaking, 'port' may be an inaccurate choice of wording here.
DX12, GNM, DX11, and DX12_X are all worked on in tandem. #IF #ELSE statements apply here, in such, porting only happens after the entire product was shipped without a platform in mind.

I'm not sure how challenging it is to ship a UWP product, I'm not sure if it's just a wrapper or what not, or how similar it is to shipping an XBO title in release form. I don't think it's too much more effort on developers to do it, ideally, if DX11 gets dropped I think that would be a bigger win for MS (and developers, and consumers) than say UWP titles being everywhere.

Back