Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

Imagine all the great nintendo talent going into good use at MS just like how it happened with Rareware

I think a slim Xbox One priced at $249 could be competive as a low cost media/gaming device in the short term.

I just don't if the economics will work on the production/cost side of things.

I don't think an Xbox at $249 will do anything for MS. With deals Xbox console bundles can be already had for $299. A $50 saving isn't much. MS needs to move to the $199 tier.

Thinking in terms of what MS are going to compete with, given Kinect is dead, they have the options of:
MS could consider this generation essentially lost; considering how big a lead PS4 has, and the momentum, it would be difficult to catch up, especially by using a more expensive piece of kit.

Xbox has always been a rather unloved child inside MS corporate, I can't think they'd be happy to throw lots of fresh money after the beating they took with kinect, TV focus and the high xbone launch pricing. They've already started moving focus back over to the PC; if xbox had been a massive runaway success they would never in a million years have done that. They'd try to push gaming further over to xbox; that's how MS rolls.

Any departure from their standard mode signals a change in mode; IE, away from xbox. I could imagine they'll try to capture budget segment this time around with a slimline, cost-reduced bone shrunk to 14nm, then try again fresh next generation.

@Grall, since current software will be forwards compatible with it, what do you consider to be "next generation"?

I don't think an Xbox at $249 will do anything for MS. With deals Xbox console bundles can be already had for $299. A $50 saving isn't much. MS needs to move to the $199 tier.
Not sure they could hit 199 without a loss. Also when you consider devices like the new Apple TV doesn't play the latest AAA games nor come with a gamepad so $250 for an Xbox One ain't that bad..

MS could consider this generation essentially lost; considering how big a lead PS4 has, and the momentum, it would be difficult to catch up, especially by using a more expensive piece of kit.

Xbox has always been a rather unloved child inside MS corporate, I can't think they'd be happy to throw lots of fresh money after the beating they took with kinect, TV focus and the high xbone launch pricing. They've already started moving focus back over to the PC; if xbox had been a massive runaway success they would never in a million years have done that. They'd try to push gaming further over to xbox; that's how MS rolls.

Any departure from their standard mode signals a change in mode; IE, away from xbox. I could imagine they'll try to capture budget segment this time around with a slimline, cost-reduced bone shrunk to 14nm, then try again fresh next generation.
It's not all thunderclouds I think. As long as the product is growing and the revenues are increasing or subscription services in this case, I don't see why to give up the platform. Not being number 1 is not a good reason, Pepsi still makes a large profit.

that being said the real question I have for everyone participating here is:
what's the purpose for these mid generation consoles?
a) upgrade the existing customer base (profits)
b) keep the existing customer base (hedging against loss)
c) gain new customers (growth)
d) entirely new market segment (new revenue)

Not sure they could hit 199 without a loss. Also when you consider devices like the new Apple TV doesn't play the latest AAA games nor come with a gamepad so $250 for an Xbox One ain't that bad..
But will $50 matter if PS4 is $299?

@Grall, since current software will be forwards compatible with it, what do you consider to be "next generation"?
More than a "bone 1.5", like that MS suit, whatsisface stated some weeks ago; something akin to new console generations of the past. Not perhaps the ~10x power increase often seen in console generation shifts because such increases may be hard to get from now on, but still more; PS4k is more than "PS4 1.5" in some respects, but less than 1.5 in others. It's a halfmeasure of an upgrade, more so in that its input device will be completely unchanged from what we know. You'd want the power offered by (at least) two full node shrinks for a new console generation I would think, and a redesigned controller... :p

As long as the product is growing and the revenues are increasing or subscription services in this case, I don't see why to give up the platform.
Not give up. Just re-focus, diversify. Then come back fresh and try to corner the market anew, like MS has been doing since the original, gigantic xbox.

To price conscious consumers yeah. Also Xbox One has more potential as an all around media device with Windows apps and whatnot.
Do console buyers give a shit about windows apps on a console though? I'm extremely doubtful.

I was actually expecting Sony to be responding to Microsoft here and that even if we don't know about it, they started this.

Why should Ms give up this gen?, if there is not going to be another traditional gen?
Why should they bring a really powerful machine, in two years time, trying to reset what?

The goal is to have customers on your side, with incremental updates you just not thrown them away every new gen, like both parties did last time, as it always has been.

So, Sony it´s going to follow this iterative path, and the PC company that churns out an improved surface every year, a better Lumia, or supports a myriad of configurations among many hardware partners, has to play the old game, that has lost again and again?

Come on, to stay in this market, they have to embrace an iterative model, bringing a new machine every new node, 14nm - 10 nm - 7nm etc doubling its performance. Making sure, of course, all the software is forward compatible, and making new consoles backwards compatible, like in pcland.

They could be even bolder, and let any partner meeting some minimum requirements, to bring compatible machines, leveraging xbox live and the Ms store.

Just my opinion

@Grall, that's the thing though. An MS Xbox Two could easily have 3x the graphics, using 36 CUs. Now that isn't the 10 year cycle update of 10x the power, but it's at least 3x the power. Is that enough of an update to be considered "next gen" ? Does it have to be 10x the power?

Now what if MS offers their Xbox Software on an Intel Skylake 72-EU unit? The CPU performance improvement alone would shake things up a bit more than just the CU upgrades.

Not give up. Just re-focus, diversify. Then come back fresh and try to corner the market anew, like MS has been doing since the original, gigantic xbox.
They are pivoting quite a bit, likely as a result of seeing that their current market strategy did not work out. Redefined their views to be this TV box, failed, re-pivoted back to what's supposed to work (which is games) - and now pivoting again to - full ecosystem device.

Do console buyers give a shit about windows apps on a console though? I'm extremely doubtful.
At it's price point, with support of mouse and keyboard and W10 software, you're talking about an amazing gateway device into high performance computing. You've got a full gaming console that can be brought around connected to a monitor, keyboard, mouse and be able to do everything you want in a small form factor. I can't see how that's a negative. In some aspects less powerful than a laptop, but in others (gaming mainly) much more powerful.

At it's price point, with support of mouse and keyboard and W10 software, you're talking about an amazing gateway device into high performance computing.
It sits next to the TV in the livingroom. Who in their right mind computes in front of the TV? It's not an ergonomic position.

It sits next to the TV in the livingroom. Who in their right mind computes in front of the TV? It's not an ergonomic position.
I dunno, I just assumed that at $299 for a fully capable PC + console, it's a good enough deal to buy another one then a laptop or other substitutes.

I do not think having some UWP apps means a fully capable PC. Most apps won't be on Xbox Store. Windows Store is not popular either.

Back