Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

Controller without Kinect lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the elite and the new 3.5mm jackbpads lack kinect lights don't they?

If a new slim has new WiFi then will the pad also be updated as it uses WiFi direct, could newer standards reduce latency and be less susceptible to the random disconnects?

Both the elite and the new 3.5mm jackbpads lack kinect lights don't they?

If a new slim has new WiFi then will the pad also be updated as it uses WiFi direct, could newer standards reduce latency and be less susceptible to the random disconnects?
Controller never used WiFi direct. But works on 2.4Ghz.

Some are speculating that the new controller might include a built in mic to use with Cortana. Not sure if using voice commands are popular enough to add that...but I guess adding a small mic wouldn't be that costly either way?

Frankly if they just added the grip material used on the back of the Elite controller to the standard controller I'd probably be content.

Some are speculating that the new controller might include a built in mic to use with Cortana. Not sure if using voice commands are popular enough to add that...but I guess adding a small mic wouldn't be that costly either way?

Frankly if they just added the grip material used on the back of the Elite controller to the standard controller I'd probably be content.

Arghhh. More places to hear cRAP music from when playing online.

It must be possible to detect users streaming songs into a game and highlight them for quick silencing or better have an option to auto block them or have them warned so they know.

I kind of miss just being verbally abused instead of aurally assaulted when playing online.
Showing my age possibly.

Reactions: NRP
Microsoft should add bluetooth support to whatever the next model is. That and either a faster drive or some way to improve load times.

I'm really don't see Microsoft wanting to go another round where they are the lesser powerful system. Even if it is by only a little bit. I think they wait and come out after PS4 neo.

I think the most interesting thing about a new Xbox will be the type of memory system they choose. Will they continue with esram or just move to a completely unified memory system like Playstation.
Well I believe the Xbox fans have a twisted version about how far MSFT is willing to push the tech. They did push hard with the first XBOX but then I see no evidence of them pushing harder than Sony quite the contrary. Sony pushed far further with PS3 than MSFT did with the 360 (which the real world performances do not reflect) and the same happened with the PS4. So I would not bet on MSFT priority, the "hardcore", "highest performance system" some people tag MSFT products with are misread about where MSFT pushed the bar to another level ie overall services and development environment.

I do not know what they will do, but my read is that they lost this gen, they can't possibly win the dick contest as their basics offering, the one which should sell the most will remain the underdog by a significant margin. People are acting here as if the PS4 Neo /whatnot is to replace the PS4, it could but that is not the most straightforward read about what have been leaked so far.
Now my read is one thing as everybody else one's ;) I in the same time expect MSFT to make the wrong move and to follow into Sony set. I believe they would be better served by a cheaper system, may be with some slightly smoothed out performance but offering a significantly better media experience ( way better power management, higher turbo clock for the CPU while browsing /whatnot, hardware support for low power decoding of new codec, etc.).

Last edited:
Well I believe the Xbox fans have a twisted version about how far MSFT is willing to push the tech. They did push hard with the first XBOX but then I see no evidence of them pushing harder than Sony quite the contrary. Sony pushed far further with PS3 than MSFT did with the 360 (which the real world performances do not reflect) and the same happened with the PS4. So I would not bet on MSFT priority, the "hardcore", "highest performance system" some people tag MSFT products with are misread about where MSFT pushed the bar to another level ie overall services and development environment.

I do not know what they will do, but my read is that they lost this gen, they can't possibly win the dick contest as their basics offering, the one which should sell the most will remain the underdog by a significant margin. People are acting here as if the PS4 Neo /whatnot is to replace the PS4, it could but that is not the most straightforward read about what have been leaked so far.
Now my read is one thing as everybody else one's ;) I in the same time expect MSFT to make the wrong move and to follow into Sony set. I believe they would be better served by a cheaper system, may be with some slightly smoothed out performance but offering a significantly better media experience ( way better power management, higher turbo clock for the CPU while browsing /whatnot, hardware support for low power decoding of new codec, etc.).

How Sony pushed far further with PS3 while Microsoft lunched 360 a full year before PS3 and it performed better than PS3 nearly the whole generation? 360 was a beast. But yeah, Sony's marketing to make people believe PS3 as a beast was far further than Microsoft's efforts with 360.

How Sony pushed far further with PS3 while Microsoft lunched 360 a full year before PS3 and it performed better than PS3 nearly the whole generation? 360 was a beast. But yeah, Sony's marketing to make people believe PS3 as a beast was far further than Microsoft's efforts with 360.
Exactly as I said the effort Sony put into the PS3 hardware is not reflected by real world performances. The cell was a lot more ambitious project than the Xenon and Sony had plan for a GPU which did not see the light, yet investments were made. Investments were also made on the fab side of things, that is fact there is nothing to argue about. Then there is the optical drive format, the integrated PSU.I mean I chose and stil own my 360 and whereas MSFT system turned quite well there is no disputing that Sony pushed harder on the hardware side of things.

EDIT
To be honest MSFT made quite an investment on the XB1 lot more than with the 360, yet like sony with the PS3 their bets and view did not turned out well. But still Sony mostly match that investment on the SOC, made no compromise on design (which could have let them with only 4GB), swallow the cost to bump that amount when it become possible, etc.

Last edited:
I think they both pushed hard but in different areas.

MS went for two 90nm chips 12 months before Sony, when the process was far from mature and still managed to hit the same clocks Sony did. They also landed a 512MB console with very high memory clocks - 12 months later the DDR3 Sony used was actually slower. And they landed the first unified shader architecture and split the GPU across two dies, giving themselves an insane amount of render target bandwidth.

MS were right at the limit at what they could have done in 2005, much as Sony were with their BR equipped system 12 months later.

Both used more die area than they did this generation.

I think they both pushed hard but in different areas.

MS went for two 90nm chips 12 months before Sony, when the process was far from mature and still managed to hit the same clocks Sony did. They also landed a 512MB console with very high memory clocks - 12 months later the DDR3 Sony used was actually slower. And they landed the first unified shader architecture and split the GPU across two dies, giving themselves an insane amount of render target bandwidth.

MS were right at the limit at what they could have done in 2005, much as Sony were with their BR equipped system 12 months later.

Both used more die area than they did this generation.
Well imho it is a hell lot truer for this gen than for the ps360 one. Had Sony invested in money more wisely there would have been no match, the Xbox would have reached the market earlier but both had access to the same lithography and leaving the BRD player aside Sony still (tried to) push harder.
The merit of their respective choices has few to do with what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Maybe ekim is hinting XBO2 announced soon (in conjunction with his earlier tweets implying an XBO2 event would happen this week or not at all)?

https://twitter.com/ekim_gaf

Edit: He just updated again

How credible is this? He is just basing this off a website changing..?

Either way it would be strange to have an entire event for just a slim model. That's something you would announce and spend 5-10 mins on during an E3 press conference.

Oh ok, this is the guy behind the Xbox leaks on Neogaf yesterday.
Ekim has sources. That being said its still subject to change. But would be interesting if this happened as he writes it.

Ekim has sources. That being said its still subject to change. But would be interesting if this happened as he writes it.
Yeah. An Xbox Event would be weird. I mean there is no indication that Microsoft is launching a new console coming this year that would warrant an entire event...

I mean it would be kind of lame if they had an entire event for a normal slim model. Unless they announce it a super low price like $199. Then that could be newsworthy enough.

I mean it would be kind of lame if they had an entire event for a normal slim model.

Yeah, I can't see that happening.. if they had an event to announce a smaller console and Sony blows out E3 with a PS4K powerhouse.. that's pretty embarrassing for Xbox, to be honest!

I still think Phil Spencer's comments from the Xbox media event are the biggest clue here. Saying future hardware innovation is coming could hurt existing sales, why do that in March? I think he did it to lay the groundwork and expectations for the plan they are executing this year.

Now we have that leak that production started on February.. the FCC filings.. different sources (like the Thurrott.com leak) are starting to come out... etc.. lots of smoke, has to be a fire!

Yeah, I can't see that happening.. if they had an event to announce a smaller console and Sony blows out E3 with a PS4K powerhouse.. that's pretty embarrassing for Xbox, to be honest!

I still think Phil Spencer's comments from the Xbox media event are the biggest clue here. Saying future hardware innovation is coming could hurt existing sales, why do that in March? I think he did it to lay the groundwork and expectations for the plan they are executing this year.

Now we have that leak that production started on February.. the FCC filings.. different sources (like the Thurrott.com leak) are starting to come out... etc.. lots of smoke, has to be a fire!

Yeah Phil Spencer really walked back on those comments about Xbox One.5....almost to a point of contradiction. If you read the initial comments he talks about it sounds almost exactly what Sony is doing with PS4.5 and a mid generation type upgrade. But then after he said moving forward wouldn't be incremental but in "big numbers".

To me that just says "yes there will be mid generation type upgrade but it don't worry it will be a significant upgrade."

I wonder if Microsoft saw the leaks and rumors around PS4 neo and wanted to get out in front of Sony. It's possible Microsoft had initially planned a reveal at E3 but are now announcing something in May. They probably figured Sony might have to announce or reveal PS4 neo at E3 to get ahead of the rumors and they didn't want to announce a new Xbox at the same time as Sony announcing a new PlayStation.

Back