PlayStation Showcase 2023

COVID impacted the entire industry, but because Sony were still releasing games it seemed like it didn't affect them much but maybe it did. Either way people are right to feel disappointed after a 2 year wait.

For the Xbox showcase I am expecting actual gameplay reveals of all the games from 2018 that they haven't showed off yet and we haven't seen. But maybe it'll be like Sony's where they show off a bunch of third party games we have already seen and no first parties to be seen.

Neither Sony nor MS will have had a strong year by the end with third parties largely making up the difference.

However, if MS just shows off persona 3 remake in their show however they will have won the battle of the 2023 summer console pub showcases for me. Since that game atleast has not been shown off yet and is way more to my taste than the games I saw today. No insult the games shown off today of course, I'm looking forward to quite a few.

Maybe I would be more excited if I had a lot of memories of MGS, but I wasn't really an MGS kind of guy in the first place. This collection will be my first time seriously trying to get into these games outside of playing a demo of the original game all the way back in ps1 era
I'm not a big fan of the games sony makes so for me this is just par for the course. The few titles in this showcase that interest me are on xbox and pc. I think a lot of the internet rumors are destroying all these showcases from all the companies. People throw out wet pasta and see what sticks to get views and in the end its the fans that are most hurt.

For MS well I posted it in another thread but if you look a lot of the companies they bought released games in 2018/2019 and we are coming up to when they should be ready for new entries or new games. So we could see a big showing from microsoft for the next 12 plus months of game releases. We know we are getting starfield and i still think forza will be this year. We could also see another stealth drop at the showcase like we did with hi-fi rush.

I have to disagree with you on this point. MS has already had a strong year releasing Hi-Fi rush , AOE , Minecraft legends . Later this year we get Starfield and Forza. I think that is a really good year for releases from MS on xbox. We might still see a bit more. It would have been even better if Redfall was good.

I don't really know mucho f Persona or if MS would have console rights too it. For me they just have to show off WRPGs, Shooters , Tactics and 4x games and I am more than happy as that is what I play. A stealth drop game could be a big deal also as I said above

I also was never into MGS but isn't that on xbox and pc also ?

Anyway I don't think sony has to much to worry about. They can have a dry year in terms of releases and I am sure for 2024 they will have a better slate of games.

I thought it was pretty obvious from massively increased traversal speed around the City it was only on PS5.
In his demonstration Cerny was able to do that by simply tweaking with the streaming settings of the PS4 version of Spider-man running on PS5 devkit.

So Spider-Man 2 is PS5 exclusive from what I'm reading. I'm a little bit surprised, but at the same time ... maybe not. It's a big open world game. Insomniac isn't Rockstar. They can't take ten years to make all of the models and materials. I wouldn't be surprised if the bottleneck is the content pipeline more than the renderer and real-time part of the engine.
Did spiderman hit in 2018. So this is 3 games in 5 years ? Seems like a lot to ask to not only put out 3 games in that time frame and make huge grahpical leaps. Perhaps wolverine will be the one to push further

Did spiderman hit in 2018. So this is 3 games in 5 years ? Seems like a lot to ask to not only put out 3 games in that time frame and make huge grahpical leaps. Perhaps wolverine will be the one to push further

Yah, I don't know how many teams Insomniac has. It's a lot of game releases. Ultimately I think graphics are super overrated, which is an ironic opinion on this forum. The visuals don't look bad to me. They look decent, good enough. I think the expectation was that this would be the first true PS5 system pusher, but seems more likely that Wolverine might fight that mold.

Does this means PS5 will get an update to make it work with aptx LL?

Or it will do low latency SBC like Nintendo switch? (seriously, the sbc latency in Nintendo switch is one of the lowest)

People throw out wet pasta and see what sticks to get views and in the end its the fans that are most hurt.

For MS well I posted it in another thread but if you look a lot of the companies they bought released games in 2018/2019 and we are coming up to when they should be ready for new entries or new games. So we could see a big showing from microsoft for the next 12 plus months of game releases. We know we are getting starfield and i still think forza will be this year. We could also see another stealth drop at the showcase like we did with hi-fi rush.

I have to disagree with you on this point. MS has already had a strong year releasing Hi-Fi rush , AOE , Minecraft legends . Later this year we get Starfield and Forza. I think that is a really good year for releases from MS on xbox. We might still see a bit more. It would have been even better if Redfall was good.
I agree with you. Leakers for clout and extreme hype kill all these shows now. The last times I felt a show delivered was 2015. And a big reason for that was because nier automata was not leaked before square enix showed it at their showcase and FF7R was only leaked a day before it's showcase so people didn't know if it was real or not.

Hell the publishers leak their own games now. I would have been more excited for dragon's dogma 2 if I didn't know it was coming but Capcom simply did a pointless announcement themselves a while ago.

And I also will agree with you on Hi Fi rush. Most of what Xbox showed did not appeal to me this year but hi fi rush looks like the type of game I am into. When I get my series S that is one of the first games I will try out

If this is the best Sony could do imagine how disappointing Microsoft’s show is going to be. Worst console generation ever.

Thoroughly disappointed with Spiderman 2 visually. I was impressed with Ratchet but SM2 was bordering on cross gen. It's been a disappointing generation so far.

Stolen from Gaf, but yes, SM2 looks bad. As I stated before, the Venom costume looks horrible. That last shot is mobile game worthy.

2.jpg

5.jpg

18.jpg

True. But Sony's showing today set the bar so low, it wouldn't take that much effort from Microsoft on having the better presentation.
I mean. I can only hope both do well each year. MS has had a long drought for some time now, regardless of what Sony has done, they should have an improvement from their last 2 showings or they really need new management.

But we also need to readjust expectations. You cannot forever pander to the 30-45 year old demographic forever. You’re bound to run out of ideas, it’s bound to get boring.

Last edited:
I mean. I can only hope both do well each year. MS has had a long drought for some time now, regardless of what Sony has done, they should have an improvement from their last 2 showings or they really need new management.

But we also need to readjust expectations. You cannot forever pander to the 30-45 year old demographic forever. You’re bound to run out of ideas, it’s bound to get boring.
a long drought of what? MS has been releasing a lot of games , they have already released 4 or 5 games this year

Back