The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2018 edition

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2018.

1. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

You have the entire gaming world's undivided attention and you use that time in that way, though? Why? What's the advantage to that approach over using more of that time to highlight things that may otherwise fly under the radar due to their exposure overlapping with everyone else's content reveals? Baffling.

Ghost of Tsushima was the standout for me as I'm intrigued by the swordplay. And Spiderman seemed to hit the mark. And of course everything looked great. There's a bunch of stuff that I may become more interested in once I see more gameplay. The Death Stranding trailer didn't really move the needle because I still am not sure what I'm looking at. I liked Phantom Pain quite a bit, so I'm certainly interested to see more to see whether that was peak Kojima or if the best is yet to come. And then, like MS, there were sequels, expansions and genre games that were...fine.

milk, Shifty Geezer and DSoup like this.
  2. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

In a business that's very cutthroat at times (studio closures, spiteful firings, etc.), recognizing wonderful teams like Naught Dog or huge personalities like Hideo Kojima, with huge (grand) orchestra-like homage, is simply Sony saying thank you. Not trying to make an excuse... just something Sony may have wanted the public to feel as well.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yup only give attention to the smaller games when almost no one is watching, compared to the main show. Not saying it's good or bad, just it's how Sony approached it.

At this point Sony is in the lead and they know it. They don't need to put in any effort to win the hearts of gamers, so why bother trying?

This is the first Sony E3 of this generation where I feel like they just phoned it in because they knew that no matter what they did, as long as they showed their exclusives they'd be fine.

Regards,
    SB

4. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

That's not a fair assessment. If I'm not mistaken, one of Sony's past E3 shows covered a huge selection of smaller and independent titles. And guess what, they got flack about it. Either way, Sony's userbase seems satisfied for the most part, other than for the terrible pacing.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

They could have shown everything they showed and plenty more if they had wanted to. The end result feels less like, "let's really focus on these games," and more like, "god, no frickin' indie shite. I'd rather show nothing than cutesy little happy games! We'll hide that crap round the back so no-one sees it."

milk likes this.
  6. chris1515

Legend Regular

Maybe some other exclusive game to be announced on other event this year

#106 chris1515, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    temesgen, DSoup and Shortbread like this.
  7. temesgen

Veteran Regular

Didn't Sony say something earlier this year or late last year that they would stagger the release of information surrounding upcoming first party titles?

8. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I can't remember but it makes sense given there is Gamescom, TGS and PSX where people expect new information.

temesgen likes this.
  9. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Sony has lots of shows in a year so I don't understand this everything having to be at E3. Also they going all in with the games they showed so and it's the kind of games the competition doesn't really have so that's what they showed.

10. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Sony like to have something good to reveal at PSX. The first The Last of Us Part II trailer was at PSX as was the first panel for that game. Ghosts of Tsushima was first teased at during Paris Games Week. Sony have ceased 'blowing their load' at E3, which is now their chance to make people listen to banjos, Japanese flutes and having people play musical chairs. :runaway:

milk likes this.
  11. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

From Blowing their load to blowing on flutes. E3 has changed.

12. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Cleanup was time consuming...
    [​IMG]