PlayStation Showcase 2023

Is Spider-Man 2 cross-gen? It looks like it could be. Kind of a mixed bag visually, but I don't really care about that kind of thing.

What they showed looked really reliant on QTEs, which I'd prefer if the game was more heavily geared towards free-roaming the city. The first game had QTEs, but didn't seem to overbearing.

Spiderman 2 looks alright, nothing amazing, but still a day 1 purchase. Oh yeah, the Venom costume looks terrible.

I was also expecting more from Spider Man 2's visuals.
Phantom Blade was the most impressive game for me.
Wanted to see more from MGS3 remake.

Overall I wasnt as delighted as I have hoped

Is Spider-Man 2 cross-gen? It looks like it could be. Kind of a mixed bag visually, but I don't really care about that kind of thing.
This is what happens when people demand 60fps for everything.

Though to be fair, it probably helps their development timeline to keep working with their existing technology rather than taking all that time and effort to retool for a more cutting edge presentation. Maybe they're still doing that with Wolverine?

I concur about Spider-man 2. Is this cross gen with PS4? It looks worse than Miles Morales to me.
Totally looks like cross gen. The shader detail on Spiderman's black suit looked low res too. The water physics holds nothing compared to the amazing water tech in Forbidden West.
Manhattan looked more or less the same as the older versions in terms of quality.

Totally looks like cross gen. The shader detail on Spiderman's black suit looked low res too. The water physics holds nothing compared to the amazing water tech in Forbidden West.
Manhattan looked more or less the same as the older versions in terms of quality.
The water physics looked outright lackluster. Like, it seemed like it was just some blocky oil or something.

And yea, the buildings and whatnot were also very mediocre or lackluster as well. The windows on many buildings just look like flat textures and whatnot.

Very underwhelming from a technical standpoint by Insomniac's standards.

I like the sort of reactive/shaky HUD, though. And the gameplay looks good, even though I'm so insanely tired of superhero stuff in games/movies.

I dont think 60fps had anything to do with it.
I do. Look at that water. It's poor. You really think if they could target 30fps as a baseline they couldn't have done better physics than that? The lighting is also very last gen. There's just so much lack of detail in the presentation levels which you can regain by having a 33ms frame budget over a 16ms one. It can make a huge difference.

This is what happens when people demand 60fps for everything.

Though to be fair, it probably helps their development timeline to keep working with their existing technology rather than taking all that time and effort to retool for a more cutting edge presentation. Maybe they're still doing that with Wolverine?
Miles Morales runs at 80fps while looking better than this (which was running at 30fps BTW). This is directly caused by cross-gen development. Could even be cross-gen with PS4 and PC.

The first time I saw the cutscene without knowing it was Spider-man 2 I immediatly thought it was a PS4 / PS5 game. And where were those beautiful RT reflections? Is it developed by a new Team B at Insomniac?

I do. Look at that water. It's poor. You really think if they could target 30fps as a baseline they couldn't have done better physics than that? The lighting is also very last gen. There's just so much lack of detail in the presentation levels which you can regain by having a 33ms frame budget over a 16ms one.
We ve seen better in other titles that offer 60fps. Plus it is around the same quality as the previous Spiderman games.

Surprisingly middling showing. There were a lot of third party games I am interested in, but I already knew about all of them. There were a lot of cgi trailers which I can't really guess about and a lot of your typical games as a service titles which I feel like was too much. there has to be some there but I don't think they were what people came to see. And most importantly, there was only one first party studio on show. Where are all the other studios after 2 years?

Makes me wonder, if there is a 30fps mode with better graphics, or at the very least, better lighting and shadowing.
Dont expect much difference. Some resolution, draw distance, etc improvements, but it's all gonna have the same basic tech makeup. This is why doing 30fps as the target makes such a difference. You can do a lot more without having to worry about any kind of scalability.

More than likely they are showing off 1440p (4K reconstructed) 60fps gameplay mode. I would like to see a fully cranked IQ settings/mode at 4K/30fps.
Was your stream showing 60fps to you btw? Other games looked like 60fps, but my stream was giving me 30fps while it was showing Spiderman2

We ve seen better in other titles that offer 60fps. Plus it is around the same quality as the previous Spiderman games.
Other games are irrelevant. This is what Insomniac are capable of with their technology and a 16ms requirement. They'd be capable of a lot more with a 33ms target instead.

Back