Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Again, no heatsink. Cerny bought the heatsink version.

If you change to the heatsink version it's $230 for the 1TB on NewEgg, but it's out of stock. The 500gb & 2TB are in stock & costs $140 & $550 respectively.

Agree with Jay here. If you're not a PC gamer none of those pros matter. The only thing that matters is that you got an easy-to-use option that has guaranteed 1:1 performance. Microsoft has shown they don't have a problem having sales on theirs. The 360 hard drives came down & they also later released larger versions at the same price. I'll grant you that you have more options with the PS5 design, but it's not for everyone. The great thing is there are options. Just got to decide which one you like better.

Tommy McClain

BRiT likes this.
  2. goonergaz

Veteran

The point of being non proprietary (or rather one of the points) is the ability to utilise outside of its initial purchase either for yourself or selling on.

It’s not just PC gamers, it could be used in another PS5, as an external drive or even in a laptop or something else…also and then when selling on you have more people who might be after the drive vs being limited to one market.

There will also be ‘easy plug and play’ options- really don’t dress this up as more complicated that it is.

There’s far more pros and these will become more apparent the longer the gen goes on.

novcze likes this.
  3. jlippo

Veteran Regular

If Sony would have had similar expansion card, no one would know if the price would have been comparable.
    Remember those Vita card prices.

Now there is some hope for prices to go down.

4. rabidrabbit

rabidrabbit A Reformed Member
    Legend Veteran

Just ordered the 2 TB WD Black SN850 W/ Heatsink for 499.90 €. This should be enough storage for me to last the PS5 lifetime.

DSoup likes this.
  5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

You could have just bought another PS5 instead and have half of the games on the other one :p

dobwal, chris1515, PSman1700 and 3 others like this.
  6. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white(ish)!
    Veteran

I'm torn between the 2TB SN580 with heat sink (I've ordered this anyway - can always go in the desktop or laptop) and the 4TB Firecuda - I currently have a 1TB Firecuda in my desktop and it flies. But I get the feeling I'll end up with the Firecuda once I can get hold of one.

It's a bit weird though, putting storage in that is worth more than the PS5 itself :/

novcze and rabidrabbit like this.
  7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

That makes me wonder, how expensive PS5 ssd repair will be. As it's soldered to the motherboard, unlike Xbox Series that got the ssd in an m2 slot.

Although in reality, even with my bad luck with electronics, I've never got my ssd broken. The most broken one is a Samsung ssd with defect from Samsung (it will keeps getting slower and risk data loss if the cells is not writer after some time), and it's still doing just fine (but really slow writes) even after being abused with 64GB Pagefile for years.

PS5 also have 1TB SSD with ridiculous amounts of provisioning (user usable space is only around 600 GB right?) so it sould last for eons.

#8747 orangpelupa, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  8. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Not 1TB, but something in the 850 range, if I recall correctly from what others posted.

9. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

orangpelupa and BRiT like this.
  10. rabidrabbit

Legend Veteran

Well, if the PS5 Pro comes with a 2TB storage, I'll still be able to move the 2TB WD to the new macine giving me ~4TB
    Or put it in my PC, it's good to have choices. I would not have put 500€ to proprietary storage that's use was locked to just PS5.

#8750 rabidrabbit, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  11. novcze

Regular

yes, it's 6 chips with 128GiB... they (Kioxia) make 256 and 512GiB versions in the same package, Sony can double/quadruple internal storage really easy.

12. BoardBonobo

Veteran

I guess they have factored in wear and tear over the lifetime of the PS5 into the decision to hard solder the SSD, which IMO is a bad idea in the long run. Maybe part of their IO subsystem is enough cache to impact the lifetime of the on board SSD? Like how I have provisioned 32Gb of ram in my PC to cache for the drives. Just to relieve some pressure on them!!

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Perhaps they could, but why would they? You can just do it yourself, at your own expense.

14. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Holy crap.

15. goonergaz

Veteran

Don’t think they had a choice as the hardware was not available unlike in XSX. Be interesting to see if this changes with SSDs now coming out that are fast enough.

16. rabidrabbit

Legend Veteran

What's so holy about that? Yes, electronics tend to be a bit more expensive in EU.

17. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

VAT is usually the culprit. In most countries thats almost 20%

BRiT likes this.
  18. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Surely its not that easy?
    I have no idea perhaps it is, Are the cost of producing memory or a SSD all about the same regardless of size eg 128GB costs as much to make as 256GB or a 1TB one, but they just charge twice as much for the 256GB one?
    Like I said I have no idea, anyone know?

19. BoardBonobo

Veteran

I'm looking at ~799 for the 4TB Firecuda - these things are not cheap :D

BRiT and PSman1700 like this.
  20. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Painfull times.