Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

someone probably gonna post a video with oversized heatsink and the SSD plugged without the metal shroud. Actually, i still dont understand what the metal shroud function is. As the whole thing is still covered by the plastic shroud.

someone probably gonna post a video with oversized heatsink and the SSD plugged without the metal shroud.

... and maybe take some temperature measurements with the expansion slot cover on/off for drives with compatible heatsink.

Actually, i still dont understand what the metal shroud function is. As the whole thing is still covered by the plastic shroud.

It's a dust cover, obviously :)

Digital Foundry and the likes will have a good time and nice view counts in testing the available drives I am sure ;).

For now the most important thing is that it is happening and that it seems to work. I am not in a hurry and prices will fall. I actually don’t have a big issue with space yet currently, with the PS4 games residing on an external SSD, and games also being relatively smaller thanks to the new compression and SSD seek time efficiency reducing the need for duplicated assets. But I will gladly install a 2 or 4TB drive in the not too distant future.

At least the option existed back in November 2020 and are absolutely guaranteed to work.

I would prefer to have more options at various prices though.
Short term pain for long term gain…I’ve always preferred the open non proprietary way, gives far more options and much better VFM.

Short term pain for long term gain…I’ve always preferred the open non proprietary way, gives far more options and much better VFM.

Even at the expense of not being guaranteed to always work? I mean at least Sony should have a qualification check that activates when first detected. Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to run. That way the consumers won't need to worry or second guess if it'll perform as needed by games. We had qualification checks back in the X360 era.

Even at the expense of not being guaranteed to always work? I mean at least Sony should have a qualification check that activates when first detected. Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to run. That way the consumers won't need to worry or second guess if it'll perform as needed by games. We had qualification checks back in the X360 era.

Indeed. Unfortunately since PS4 (dunno with ps3), Sony didn't do qualification checks. So if using Uber slow hdd, the ps4 performance can downgrade

I think it's possible the PS5 might do exactly this. I read one beta tester saying his PS5 tested his drive at 6500MB/s or so. With that test the PS5 could at least give a warning saying the SSD might not work the best in all games. Or the PS5 could validate only some models of SSD. I think it's going to be one or the other.

As I said before, I believe the statement is just the usual legal guff to cover their backsides due to idiots out there…remember how the first reports on BC would work? All negative but transpires to be significantly better.

Sony have been burnt by too many idiots (Killzone lawsuit IIRC) that they are just being overly cautious. The PS5 will test the drive anyway.

Fow now, I'm fine with 4TB USB HDD. All my PS4 games are there and cold storage for PS5 titles I don't play [slow Internet, so I avoid deleting installs].

Fow now, I'm fine with 4TB USB HDD. All my PS4 games are there and cold storage for PS5 titles I don't play [slow Internet, so I avoid deleting installs].
I’ve not struggled either, like I said though be nice to get a 980pro for the secondary games

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SWFTP9N/

$165USD for 500gb
$625USD for 1TB but via a 3rd party
$539USD for 2TB

Wow!

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-1tb-black-sn850-nvme/p/N82E16820250161

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08KFS6THF/ref=psdcmw_1292116011_t1_B08NY7XCL1?th=1&psc=1

$200 on non-scalper prices.

$187USB(on sale) for a 1TB Xbox expansion card that just plugs & play doesn't sound so bad.

Tommy McClain
It really does, once you consider the fact that it works at almost 1/3rd of the speed, it's useless for anything other than the consoles (the standard M.2 2280 drive works with any PC with a PCIe slot) and its non-standard + single supplier nature will prevent it from going further down in price.
The 7000MB/s PCIe 4.0 drives have already gone down to $200 since the 980 Pro's release at $230, and one model can always be found at ~$180 in any point in time, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0921KF4JC/

- $180, expected to go down
- 3x the performance
- works in a PC if you want

really does, once you consider the fact that it works at almost 1/3rd of the speed, it's useless for anything other than the consoles (the standard M.2 2280 drive works with any PC with a PCIe slot) and its non-standard + single supplier nature will prevent it from going further down in price.
The 7000MB/s PCIe 4.0 drives have already gone down to $200 since the 980 Pro's release at $230, and one model can always be found at ~$180 in any point in time, like this one:
The XS cartridge give a direct 1 to 1 performance as the internal drive, and that's all that matters in terms of speed.
So doesn't matter if drive is 10x faster, what matters is cost to capacity. If your comparing to the XS cartridge that is.

In terms of being able to use it on pc, that only matters if your a pc gamer / upgrader.
I suspect that the general console gamer just want to plug and play, and then if they really want to replace it they pass it on to friends and family or sell it.

May only be a single manufacturer right now, but I'm pretty sure MS said that's not a lifetime contract basically. Either way what matters is being competitively priced at the capacity.
Being slower probably means can still make the proprietary at competitive price.

There's some pro's and con's to both approaches.
Personally I'd be happier for the standard m.2 but I know I'm not the general console gamer.

Will PS5 games stored on that HDD download and install updates or do they have to be moved back onto the internal storage for that to happen?

The XS cartridge give a direct 1 to 1 performance as the internal drive, and that's all that matters in terms of speed.
So doesn't matter if drive is 10x faster, what matters is cost to capacity. If your comparing to the XS cartridge that is.

In terms of being able to use it on pc, that only matters if your a pc gamer / upgrader.
I suspect that the general console gamer just want to plug and play, and then if they really want to replace it they pass it on to friends and family or sell it.

May only be a single manufacturer right now, but I'm pretty sure MS said that's not a lifetime contract basically. Either way what matters is being competitively priced at the capacity.
Being slower probably means can still make the proprietary at competitive price.

There's some pro's and con's to both approaches.
Personally I'd be happier for the standard m.2 but I know I'm not the general console gamer.

IIRC CNET tested xs cart and its around 20% slower compared to internal for launching games

Back