Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Again, no heatsink. Cerny bought the heatsink version.

If you change to the heatsink version it's $230 for the 1TB on NewEgg, but it's out of stock. The 500gb & 2TB are in stock & costs $140 & $550 respectively.

It really does, once you consider the fact that it works at almost 1/3rd of the speed, it's useless for anything other than the consoles (the standard M.2 2280 drive works with any PC with a PCIe slot) and its non-standard + single supplier nature will prevent it from going further down in price.
The 7000MB/s PCIe 4.0 drives have already gone down to $200 since the 980 Pro's release at $230, and one model can always be found at ~$180 in any point in time, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0921KF4JC/

- $180, expected to go down
- 3x the performance
- works in a PC if you want

Agree with Jay here. If you're not a PC gamer none of those pros matter. The only thing that matters is that you got an easy-to-use option that has guaranteed 1:1 performance. Microsoft has shown they don't have a problem having sales on theirs. The 360 hard drives came down & they also later released larger versions at the same price. I'll grant you that you have more options with the PS5 design, but it's not for everyone. The great thing is there are options. Just got to decide which one you like better.

Tommy McClain

Again, no heatsink. Cerny bought the heatsink version.

If you change to the heatsink version it's $230 for the 1TB on NewEgg, but it's out of stock. The 500gb & 2TB are in stock & costs $140 & $550 respectively.

Agree with Jay here. If you're not a PC gamer none of those pros matter. The only thing that matters is that you got an easy-to-use option that has guaranteed 1:1 performance. Microsoft has shown they don't have a problem having sales on theirs. The 360 hard drives came down & they also later released larger versions at the same price. I'll grant you that you have more options with the PS5 design, but it's not for everyone. The great thing is there are options. Just got to decide which one you like better.

Tommy McClain
The point of being non proprietary (or rather one of the points) is the ability to utilise outside of its initial purchase either for yourself or selling on.

It’s not just PC gamers, it could be used in another PS5, as an external drive or even in a laptop or something else…also and then when selling on you have more people who might be after the drive vs being limited to one market.

There will also be ‘easy plug and play’ options- really don’t dress this up as more complicated that it is.

There’s far more pros and these will become more apparent the longer the gen goes on.

I'm torn between the 2TB SN580 with heat sink (I've ordered this anyway - can always go in the desktop or laptop) and the 4TB Firecuda - I currently have a 1TB Firecuda in my desktop and it flies. But I get the feeling I'll end up with the Firecuda once I can get hold of one.

It's a bit weird though, putting storage in that is worth more than the PS5 itself :/

I'm torn between the 2TB SN580 with heat sink (I've ordered this anyway - can always go in the desktop or laptop) and the 4TB Firecuda - I currently have a 1TB Firecuda in my desktop and it flies. But I get the feeling I'll end up with the Firecuda once I can get hold of one.

It's a bit weird though, putting storage in that is worth more than the PS5 itself :/

That makes me wonder, how expensive PS5 ssd repair will be. As it's soldered to the motherboard, unlike Xbox Series that got the ssd in an m2 slot.

Although in reality, even with my bad luck with electronics, I've never got my ssd broken. The most broken one is a Samsung ssd with defect from Samsung (it will keeps getting slower and risk data loss if the cells is not writer after some time), and it's still doing just fine (but really slow writes) even after being abused with 64GB Pagefile for years.

PS5 also have 1TB SSD with ridiculous amounts of provisioning (user usable space is only around 600 GB right?) so it sould last for eons.

Last edited:
You could have just bought another PS5 instead and have half of the games on the other one :p
Well, if the PS5 Pro comes with a 2TB storage, I'll still be able to move the 2TB WD to the new macine giving me ~4TB
Or put it in my PC, it's good to have choices. I would not have put 500€ to proprietary storage that's use was locked to just PS5.

Last edited:
That makes me wonder, how expensive PS5 ssd repair will be. As it's soldered to the motherboard, unlike Xbox Series that got the ssd in an m2 slot.

Although in reality, even with my bad luck with electronics, I've never got my ssd broken. The most broken one is a Samsung ssd with defect from Samsung (it will keeps getting slower and risk data loss if the cells is not writer after some time), and it's still doing just fine (but really slow writes) even after being abused with 64GB Pagefile for years.

PS5 also have 1TB SSD with ridiculous amounts of provisioning (user usable space is only around 600 GB right?) so it sould last for eons.

I guess they have factored in wear and tear over the lifetime of the PS5 into the decision to hard solder the SSD, which IMO is a bad idea in the long run. Maybe part of their IO subsystem is enough cache to impact the lifetime of the on board SSD? Like how I have provisioned 32Gb of ram in my PC to cache for the drives. Just to relieve some pressure on them!!

yes, it's 6 chips with 128GiB... they (Kioxia) make 256 and 512GiB versions in the same package, Sony can double/quadruple internal storage really easy.

Perhaps they could, but why would they? You can just do it yourself, at your own expense.

I guess they have factored in wear and tear over the lifetime of the PS5 into the decision to hard solder the SSD, which IMO is a bad idea in the long run. Maybe part of their IO subsystem is enough cache to impact the lifetime of the on board SSD? Like how I have provisioned 32Gb of ram in my PC to cache for the drives. Just to relieve some pressure on them!!
Don’t think they had a choice as the hardware was not available unlike in XSX. Be interesting to see if this changes with SSDs now coming out that are fast enough.

yes, it's 6 chips with 128GiB... they (Kioxia) make 256 and 512GiB versions in the same package, Sony can double/quadruple internal storage really easy.
Surely its not that easy?
I have no idea perhaps it is, Are the cost of producing memory or a SSD all about the same regardless of size eg 128GB costs as much to make as 256GB or a 1TB one, but they just charge twice as much for the 256GB one?
Like I said I have no idea, anyone know?

Back