Playstation 3: Hardware Info and Price

Price

alexp2792 said:
Honestly initially the only reason I bought xb360 was to hold me over until PS3 and finally make use of my HDTV and at $400 it wasn't a bad deal either. However PS3 is very underwhelming right now, I'm not gonna drop $600 and than wait for a year until MGS or FF13 come out. Did I mention the $500 package is a complete ripoff since you're basically getting the exact same thing as x360 for $100 more. I'm sure blind ******s like mckmas would think that $2000 is a deal of the century and realistically Sony would sell out the launch shipment regardless of price but if joe six pack sees 2 games with identical graphics running side by side with xbox being at least $100 less the choice becomes obvious.

If you had waited a little you could have had better package for less my friend.

PS3 with HD & Blu-ray: $499-$599

Xbox360 with HD & HD-DVD: $899

Joe six pack is like you and will be happy to spend $800-900 for good system. So, for joe six pack, like you, $500-$600 is no problem. I prefer PS3 only have $599 model so that everyone can buy best unit and that price is no problem. Ebay will make much money from $1000-$1500 PS3.

This can't be right.

€499/€599 != $499 USD/$599 USD

Either one of those figures is wrong, or the Europeans are getting royally raped with this pricing.

ihamoitc2005 said:
If you had waited a little you could have had better package for less my friend.

Joe six pack is like you and will be happy to spend $800-900 for good system. So, for joe six pack, like you, $500-$600 is no problem. I prefer PS3 only have $599 model so that everyone can buy best unit and that price is no problem. Ebay will make much money from $1000-$1500 PS3.

I'm sorry did you just suggest that the hd-dvd add-on for the 360 will be $500, or were you talking about a stand alone HD-DVD?

JasonLD said:
With all those features packed in...Sony is "forced" to make $499/$599 price point...they are already projecting massive losses even with those price point so go figure lol...
Price seems expensive, but is tremendous value also...so that is why there are mixed reactions with price even with seemingly ridiculous pricing.

The price doesn't bother me. I'm rather fortunate when it comes to finances (I'd buy the damn thing if it were 6000 dollars). However, MOST people aren't in that kind of a situation. The price might prove to be too high, regardless of perceived value. My opinion all along has been, if they came in at 600 dollars... that Blu-ray has to be sacrificed. Obviously, this has 0.00% chance of happening, but it just doesn't seem worth the risk. Literally, they could be risking the entire corporation with this pricing. With DVD still going strong, is it conceivable that having the PS3 barely win/barely lose and Blu-ray doing "well" will be better for them than if the PS3 utterly dominated the competition? I doubt it, and blu-ray could still conceivably win without help from the PS3.

I mean, honestly, the 599 PS3 is a much better deal than the premium 360 (not even CLOSE... for what MS is charging for the 20GB harddrive, the extra 40 would bring their prices dead even.. without the consideration of Wifi, HDMI, 1080p, HD movies...), but there is some point where people don't know or care about it, or some psychological barrier has been crossed. A premium Xbox with 60GB + HD-DVD addon would equal WELL OVER 600 dollars, but that is an entirely different thing that charging all at once. You'd be a fool as well, as with the 360, to buy the 500 dollar version. No HDMI? No Wifi????

Natoma said:
Either one of those figures is wrong, or the Europeans are getting royally raped with this pricing.
Nothing new. And the VAT here is around 20%.

NucNavST3 said:
I'm sorry did you just suggest that the hd-dvd add-on for the 360 will be $500, or were you talking about a stand alone HD-DVD?

That is probably dead on, when you consider that MS is charging 100 dollars for 20GB of harddrive. 360 with 60GB = 600 dollars, then you add the HD-DVD add on which is not going to be cheap (no less than 200, and probably a lot more, given how intent they are on raping with accessories).

Natoma said:
This can't be right.

Didn't MS do the

€299 = $299USD
€399 = $399USD

? I understand that €599 is a LOT more than $599 than €399 is to $399.

As for tax, in my state $399 = $431, and $599 = $647. Although every state has a different sales tax (some have none), that is something to consider as well. Any way you cut it these things ARE expensive. Are as in all of 'em! Oh well, I will wait for the really high quality 65nm versions :D

ihamoitc2005 said:

First: where'd you get the price of the HD-DVD drive?

Second: It is shortsighted to assume that eBay prices are at all natural prices. Once that unnatural quality of the initial demand wears off, Sony must still sell at that 500-600 dollar price range. If anyone can do it, Sony can. But I don't think anyone can do it.

Natoma said:
This can't be right.

Europeans have always been royally raped. Its not the first time

Serenity Painted Death said:
That is probably dead on, when you consider that MS is charging 100 dollars for 20GB of harddrive. 360 with 60GB = 600 dollars, then you add the HD-DVD add on which is not going to be cheap (no less than 200, and probably a lot more, given how intent they are on raping with accessories).
The extra 40 gigs surely doesn't add $200 to the price of the Xbox 360. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 60 gig unit in stores this Christmas--just in time for the PS3 launch.

Just to respond to this from the other thread:

Hardknock said:
There won't be a 360 price drop until the end of 2007 at the soonest.

There is no reason for MS to drop the price. Especially not now. They enjoy a $200 price advantage already, and demand that exceeds their supplies. Their competition will be supply limited this holiday season, plus that massive price difference, why on earth would MS want to take the losses of a price drop? What would it achieve? Certainly not siginifcantly higher sales than they already expect to have.

It's not a $200 difference and you know it, you're being disengenious. The core package needs at very least a $40 memory card, and the 20gb HDD is $100. Consumers know this.

Really it's a $100 difference. $160 if you want to split hairs, with the caveat that 360 version has no HDD.

"What would it achieve? Certainly not siginifcantly higher sales than they already expect to have."
Why not? You don't think there's millions of people worldwide who could afford a $199 console, but not a $299? Their competition will be supply limited, but they won't, which is precisely the point. They should drop the price of the 'good' version to $299 and that will drive even more sales. This would in-turn influence publishing decisions for 2007 and gain MS even more 3rd party support.

Last edited by a moderator:
wco81 said:
Parents have been buying their young children iPods the past couple of Christmases. Fragile, small, easily lost, expensive.

I don't know what prices are like where you live, but the average iPod I've seen in kids hands costs about $100 new. A few of the more in-fashion ones will have $150 iPod nanos, but I have never seen a kid walking around with a $600 iPod.

Sis said:
The extra 40 gigs surely doesn't add $200 to the price of the Xbox 360. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 60 gig unit in stores this Christmas--just in time for the PS3 launch.

Perhaps, in response to the PS3 pricing, but a 20GB HD for the 360, right now, is 100 dollars...

Serenity Painted Death said:

I would debate the arbitrary numbers for devices that don't exist (in the public), but this is a PS3 thread, and I don't want it to get derailed.

scooby_dooby said:
Why not? You don't think there's millions of people worldwide who could afford a $199 console, but not a $299? Their competition will be supply limited, but they won't, which is precisely the point. They should drop the price of the 'good' version to $299 and that will drive even more sales.

You don't think MS will have supply issues of their own?

At it's current price the 360 will likely be a sellout through the holidays. Most consoles usually are sold to the limits of their supplies in the holidays. Dropping the price wouldn't make any difference unless they could figure out how to massively increase their production at the same time.

If the 360 sells at roughly the same rate as the Xbox before it, MS will sell 1-1.5 million systems per month for November and December in the US alone. For a price drop to be effective MS would have to be able to put about twice that many systems on the shelves in the same time frame. I don't see anything that suggests that they have that capability.

Powderkeg said:
Why not?

In a single word... Supply.

At it's current price the 360 will likely be a sellout through the holidays. Most consoles usually are sold to the limits of their supplies in the holidays. Dropping the price wouldn't make any difference unless they could figure out how to massively increase their production at the same time.

Production should have a capacity of 1.5million/month by the end of 2006 if we assume Celestica does the same 120k/week as the other 2 did initially. One of the factories is ramping up to 1mil/month IIRC. So, by those estimtes MS should be able to produce 8-12million by years end. I don't think it will be sold out this xmas at $399 for a premium, not unless it has a couple of runaway hits. I think MS would be wise to have 4-5million units on shelves worldwide for Nov/Dec and combine that with a price cut for massive sales.

I watched almost the entire presentation, missing the ending about pricing and different SKUs, and I have to say I was quite surprised when I logged on and found out the pricing scheme for Playstation 3.

Sony obviously had some hard decisions facing them going into E3, how to compete with Microsoft’s Live! platform, how to deal with Nintendo’s ‘innovative’ controller and most importantly, how to impress the audience by following up on the games that they had shown at last years E3. For the most part, they did a good job – I would like to take this time to congratulate nAo and DeanoC and the rest of your team for a job well done with Heavenly Sword! – in providing the audience with some samples of gameplay footage and teaser trailers of games to come. Playstation Live!, I didn’t happen to catch a name, offered a nice assortment of features and integration into its games. – FOR FREE! …*hint to anyone working at Microsoft – Sony was also smart to capitalize on the micro-transaction system that was first implemented to Live! with the 360, making future upgrades to console games more enticing for developers. I was also happy to see the interesting implementation of motion sensing incorporated into the already successful DS2 design. I think this was a great to way to include proven technology with something that has the potential to be innovative.

Where Sony seemed to stumble was the pricing of the system, which I found to be a little too high for my liking. I know there are some of you out there who would drop almost anything for a Playstation 3, but in reality, it seems to be a bit over priced when you compare it to what Microsoft is offering now and any possible price adjustments that could happen between today and Playstations launch. Let’s face it, for $100 more are you really getting your moneys worth, I mean, are PS3 games going to look that much better in order to justify the extra $100 dollars. From what I have read, the $599 version of the console will not be able to play BD movies in High-Def, which seems like a total waste when you consider that BD support was one of the most hyped features going into this press conference. – I am ignoring the $699 version, as that only really applies to people who are hardcore, with extra cash to burn and already planned on buying the console regardless of the price. – I think Sony’s move to support BD in a console that will not be able to use one of its key features is kind’ a dumb and makes it easier for people to realize the system is overpriced, epically when you look at what Microsoft offers for $100 dollars less.

In the end, I was, at the same time, both impressed and disappointed with Sony’s conference and regardless of the pricing its obvious that they have one solid product to offer. I think the best thing for the majority of people to do is to wait and see what Microsoft shows during their press conference today.

Revealing the price so early was un-sony like, but then the whole show felt like that, don’t get me wrong heavenly sword was beautiful and mgs4 made you realize why the series is considered a system seller, but apart from a few other bright sparks (vf4, resistance) the rest were just either okay or just weird in there presence.

The controller was cool but it almost feels it was tacked on to make the price seem more acceptable which I’m in too minds about, yes it is more than a premium 360 but lets see how much it costs with the hd-dvd add, maybe there wont be such a gulf. You do get a lot of kit for the price but it does feel a little like your subsidising blu ray adoption, at least with the 360 you do have the choice.

All in all excited but disappointed, maybe that will change when direct feeds come out or we see what’s on the show floor.

Back