Plasma or LCD for 40+' TV?

geo said:
A DLP?? Where? Traditional rear-projection, yeah, but not DLP that I've seen.

From teh intrardnet.

50" Samsung DLP

$1567 new

http://66.70.17.113/itemdesc.asp?cartid=11736371OQOJU4-EVEREST-2&ic=HLN5065W

$1110 if you buy refurbished

http://66.70.17.113/itemdesc.asp?cartid=11736371OQOJU4-EVEREST-2&ic=HLN5065WRB

Or you could spend a couple of bucks more and get a brand new 52" Toshiba for $1589.

http://66.70.17.113/itemdesc.asp?cartid=11736371OQOJU4-EVEREST-2&ic=52HM84

Hmm. You have experience with these folks?

I may be in the market for a second DLP towards the end of the year, something in the 42" range for my c/a/v/e/ home office.

It needs to be said, they keep all the issues of rear-pro sets. I was going to buy one, but i saw the typical "move and u lose the picture" behaviour of rear pro TVs. Personally i couldn't live with it, cause i'm someone who likes to move around and change positions when...

...watching TV...

Please do not evangelize, but I am curious.

DLPs use little mirrors to reflect the light right? The good ones have 3 arrays so you do not have the silly color wheel.

Anyway do they suffer from the same idea of a dead pixel? In otherwords a malfunctioning mirror? Or can they actually fix defects so that when you get it at your house it is perfect?

And it still seems like they too would break...

I dunno though I have a 27" CRT that I got for free...
icon13.gif

london-boy said:
It needs to be said, they keep all the issues of rear-pro sets. I was going to buy one, but i saw the typical "move and u lose the picture" behaviour of rear pro TVs. Personally i couldn't live with it, cause i'm someone who likes to move around and change positions when...

...watching TV...

Well, not *all* the issues. NO BURN IN! YIPPEE!!!

It seems to be worse up and down than side to side, it seems to me. Are you. . .ummm, doing a lot of up-and-downing while watching TV?

geo said:
It seems to be worse up and down than side to side, it seems to me. Are you. . .ummm, doing a lot of up-and-downing while watching TV?

And if you are, does the picture really matter at that point. ;)

vb said:
As the title says. I didn't quite kept up with the latest technology advancements. or latest prices. But I think it is time for my crt to go down.
also, is there a way to find out the latest prices in China, (pricewatch or something babelfish friendly)?

Thanks
v

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

<Edit> I should mention new plasmas should last as long as any CRT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Powderkeg said:
I don't dispute that, but CRT's don't last that long either compared to DLP.

Well if 50,000 hours (brightness to 50%) is going to be an issue you would need to look at the cost of bulb replacement in a DLP as a cost. Over that kind of time a high end DLP costs will approach (perhaps exceed) the cost of the plasma. Bulbs last 5-8000 hours and cost up to a $400 each.

geo said:

Up down, left right, back and forth... anything goes! I need the picture to remain the same during the whole session! :LOL:

london-boy said:
Up down, left right, back and forth... anything goes! I need the picture to remain the same during the whole session! :LOL:

Still using that Jane Fonda workout video, eh? ;)

AlphaWolf said:
Well if 50,000 hours (brightness to 50%) is going to be an issue you would need to look at the cost of bulb replacement in a DLP as a cost. Over that kind of time a high end DLP costs will approach (perhaps exceed) the cost of the plasma. Bulbs last 5-8000 hours and cost up to a $400 each.

CRT televisions don't last 50,000 hours, the average is about 20,000, or about 5-7 years.

Powderkeg said:
CRT televisions don't last 50,000 hours, the average is about 20,000, or about 5-7 years.

Well then I guess I overestimated the life of CRT's, the new plasmas rate up to 60,000 hours.

radeonic2 said:
How long untill we see a) OLED monitors for pc and b) oled high def tvs?

Samsung demo'd a 40inch earlier this year (it was an inch thick total). They are still having troubles with the life of the blue oled material.

AlphaWolf said:
Samsung demo'd a 40inch earlier this year (it was an inch thick total). They are still having troubles with the life of the blue oled material.
And they are not going to fix it either unless they just luck out like with blue LEDs

Back