Plasma or LCD for 40+' TV?

AlphaWolf said:
Well then I guess I overestimated the life of CRT's, the new plasmas rate up to 60,000 hours.

And new DLP bulbs last 5,000-10,000, and only cost $100-150 to replace. You could possibly get 60,000 hours out of your DLP for as little as $600 in bulbs, and it will look just as good as the day you bought it. Not to mention DLP's are cheaper to begin with.

And if you are talking about a 50+ inch screen size, good luck on beating that price.

Also, DLP is entering it's 3rd revision, and is much improved over the earlier models. Bulbs last longer and are cheaper, contrast is better, and color phasing at angles is greatly reduced.

Powderkeg said:
And new DLP bulbs last 5,000-10,000, and only cost $100-150 to replace. You could possibly get 60,000 hours out of your DLP for as little as $600 in bulbs, and it will look just as good as the day you bought it. Not to mention DLP's are cheaper to begin with.

I don't see any anywhere near $100, but whatever...And no one said a dlp wasn't cheaper to begin with, I merely mentioned that the cost for bulbs is something you have to consider at purchase, it's an additional cost you wont have with a plasma.

And if you are talking about a 50+ inch screen size, good luck on beating that price.

And good luck fitting it in smaller room, or positioning it exactly where you want. A big projector will take up 10 sq ft of floor space, a plasma can take 0 if you go with a wall mount.

Also, DLP is entering it's 3rd revision, and is much improved over the earlier models. Bulbs last longer and are cheaper, contrast is better, and color phasing at angles is greatly reduced.

That only matters when compared with other projectors. They don't have the contrast ratio of plasmas, and they don't have the viewing angle of plasmas and plasmas don't have bulbs to replace.

Anyway I am done with the plasma vs DLP debate, it's always going to come down to consumer need and preference vs cost.

It's all about tradeoffs.

If it were so cut-n-dry as 'DLP uber Alles', then DLP would be the preferred choice for all consumers. But it's not.

DLP IS cheaper, doesn't have pixel issues (like LCD or Plasma), and is cheaper.

But the quality of the picture generally isn't up to PDP or LCD (mind you we could waste our time comparing good DLP models against bad LCD/Plasma models or vice versa).

Back