Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Moved into a new house and looking at getting my first 4k TV for movies and some gaming, mostly movie/tv streaming viewing though. I'd like to get an OLED but I was looking around $1200 budget for a 55". Looks like it is a possibility but a lower end model that might not be amazing for gaming but I'm primarily a PC gamer anyway. It looks like the LG B2 might be right around my budget though?

Generally avoid the B series. You'd be better off with a C1 over a B2 if it's purely a budget issue.

Outside of Vincent, easily the best technical TV review site. Marek also works with Vincent to calibrate the sets of the UK shootouts and both use reference monitors to match against. Not just charts.

Generally avoid the B series. You'd be better off with a C1 over a B2 if it's purely a budget issue.
I have an old B7. It’s OK. It’s quite no frills and you won’t get any of the next gen features. But the picture quality can be quite good when calibrated. But you’ll feel the budget cuts.

I have an old B7. It’s OK. It’s quite no frills and you won’t get any of the next gen features. But the picture quality can be quite good when calibrated. But you’ll feel the budget cuts.
I have a C9, a colleague has a B9. Neither of us can tell the difference.

IIRC before 1 series, the B C and A variants are basically the same thing, with minor differences (least features on A, most on C). Then since 1 series, C and G series got the best soc and panel.

The A series is limited to 60 Hz input while the B and C series support 120 Hz input. That's something I always mention to anyone looking to save some money on the A series. If they are interested in gaming at 120 Hz either now or at some point in the future, then don't get an A series LG OLED. I guess that would also apply to 40 Hz gaming (still yuck for me, but might be good enough for people that want to move on from 30 Hz gaming), definitely stay away from the A series there as well.

Regards,
SB

Was tempted when they were selling the 65 inch C1 for $1599 here a month ago.

But I wonder if LG will have a better response for QD-OLED next year.

Was tempted when they were selling the 65 inch C1 for $1599 here a month ago.

But I wonder if LG will have a better response for QD-OLED next year.

I can't recall exactly which YT Video I saw it talked about. From what I recall, the planned update for the C3 isn't too much on top of the C2, a few minor tweaks to address peak brightness for smaller percentage HDR windows. If that's true, then I'm thinking their response to QD-Oled won't be until 2024 model year panels or later.

(my post from AVS on what LGD needs to do)

When LGD was the only game in town, we got comfortable with just measuring the different implementations of the same panel and our core comparison was mainly peak brightness. That's no longer the case with a QDO in the picture.

The three areas where LGD needs to step up:
  • APL across the range
  • High color volume
  • Consistency in brightness across scenarios

HDTVPolska, I believe most here will find Vincent levels of credible so I'll use their data points:

First the color volume delta, which some can reasonably argue is limited to certain titles. However that content is going to grow as UHD HDR continues to mature.

Samsung-QD-OLED-2.jpg

That's a real difference and well beyond the 'numbers.' I don't think I need to label which one is on WOLED and which one is QD OLED!

Now lets look at the brightness and importantly, the consistency of the brightness across the image. We know how world class the Pana JZ2000 series is so lets use that as a reference (2022 flagships haven't been tested by HDTVPolska yet).

Panasonic JZ2000:
unknown.png

Samsung S95B:
unknown.png

There's a major difference in the consistency of the HDR experience in actual content, well beyond just looking at some brightness figures in the traditional windowed measurement. The quality of the experience is less content dependent as the QDO panel will deliver to across the board.

My point is we're well beyond just seeing who can win the 10% window tests going forward. There's other factors as play here where LGD and it's customers need to step up across the board. This is on top of the superior uniformity, no tint, no dse etc.

Great info. That's probably why the A95K looks brighter to me than my old ZD9, while also providing that OLED 'pop'. I didn't really get what people were saying when they talked about colour volume, but I get it now! It's like being blinded by colour (especially reds) instead of the ZD9 which would blind you with white lights, while taking away from all the other aspects of the picture.

The problem with the Samsung S95B is that it exaggerates HDR brightness, so it's silly to compare. You would need to test these OLEDs next to a proper reference monitor to find out which one is closest to the intended image. Remember that movies are mastered with intention.

The problem with the Samsung S95B is that it exaggerates HDR brightness, so it's silly to compare. You would need to test these OLEDs next to a proper reference monitor to find out which one is closest to the intended image. Remember that movies are mastered with intention.

This has been fixed with Firmware version 1211 onwards with Filmmaker mode which was used to test.

Vincent and HDTVPolska have reference monitors in their studios for perceptual matching. Any spiking of the EOTF, APL injections, etc would be obvious to both.

I was going to keep deferring on buying a larger OLED until later this year or even next year because with QD-OLED in the market, competition is likely to ramp up. Either lower prices or LG is going to have to improve their product.

Or both.

But I might have to just grab a 65C1 for now because HBO Max is finally going to stream House of Dragons, the spinoff to Game of Thrones, in 4K HDR with Dolby Vision and Atmos.

T/hey're also going to make GoT episodes all in 4K HDR with DV and Dolby Atmos as well.

It appears the Panasonic LZ2000 is the most accurate OLED TV on the market, behaving exactly like the Sony Trimaster HX 4K reference monitor.

Nice, it's using LG's 2022 EVO EX panels. Pretty impressive out of the box calibration. Will be interesting to see if manual calibration can make it even better.

Regards,
SB

Nice, it's using LG's 2022 EVO EX panels. Pretty impressive out of the box calibration. Will be interesting to see if manual calibration can make it even better.

Regards,
SB
I mean you probably could but with an average ΔE less than 1 (his sample were 0.65) it would be imperceptible to the human eye. The max ΔE were just 1.26.

Back