Plasma or LCD for 40+' TV?

vb

Regular
As the title says. I didn't quite kept up with the latest technology advancements. or latest prices. But I think it is time for my crt to go down.
also, is there a way to find out the latest prices in China, (pricewatch or something babelfish friendly)?

Thanks
v

Most TV's that are 40+ inches are plasmas. You can find LCDs that big, but they tend to be much more expensive. So that's just my help with pricing.

I think it's a myth Plasmas don't last.
They last tens of thousands of hours, well until you'll be ready to buy a TV with then current tech.

DLP offer the best bang for buck, as they are VERY big for the price of much smaller Plasmas and LCDs... If you can get over the rear-projection issues like viewing angle, they're great, with amazing picture quality too.

rabidrabbit said:
I think it's a myth Plasmas don't last.
They last tens of thousands of hours, well until you'll be ready to buy a TV with then current tech.

They don't last nearly as long as DLP's. Usually, you'll start getting image degredation after 3-4000 hours of use and there really is no way to fix them. With a DLP though, a change of the bulb makes it as good as new.

And DLP's are immune to burn-in.

Personally i'd go for LCD, though 40" LCDs are not cheap.

For the first poster, i recommend you visit avforums.com or avsforums.com

They're very good forums, with lots and lots of info from very knowledgeable people.

Powderkeg, I think yo may be incorrect now. I understand the the newest plasmas can last a significantly longer time.

Sxotty said:
Powderkeg, I think yo may be incorrect now. I understand the the newest plasmas can last a significantly longer time.

True...but remember, we are talking cost here....and that's where you can get in trouble. Old tech costs less. Whereas LCDs & DLPs don't even have the problem. Today you can get a very decent DLP 50" for under $2k.........

martrox said:
True...but remember, we are talking cost here....and that's where you can get in trouble. Old tech costs less. Whereas LCDs & DLPs don't even have the problem. Today you can get a very decent DLP 50" for under $2k.........

I can't wall mount a DLP though.

Sxotty said:

They might last a bit longer, but the problem remains.

The problem with LCD displays is that over time, the crystals retain a charge which causes them to align themselves incorrectly. Usually, the screen will either begin to fade, or change colors. If you have an LCD, in 5 years you might not notice it, but if you were to set it side by side with a new set you would.

DLP's look the same no matter how long you use them, as long as you replace the bulb when needed, and those bulbs really aren't that expensive. Especially not when compared to a new LCD TV.

CMAN said:
I can't wall mount a DLP though.

True, but they aren't very thick televisions. Less than 2 feet thick if you are looking at something in the 60+ inch range, and you can get 50+ inch sets for less than $1500.

Powderkeg said:
The problem with LCD displays is that over time, the crystals retain a charge which causes them to align themselves incorrectly.
From what I've heard tho, if the panel is allowed to rest in a powered-off state, it'll "clear up" on its own.

It sounds logical; the panel is made of glass, and glass is not a type of permanent magnet capable of retaining electrical charges indefinitely... Then again, material physics is weird. :p I had an LCD from 2001 that retained a faint image of the desktop after a couple months' use, but I never had the chance to test if it could be reset or not as it died.

Yeah...DLP is definately the best bang for the buck.

If you have deep enough pockets, LCDs are incredible, but DLP offers the same image quality at significantly cheaper prices.

Extremetech posted a comparison between CRT, LCD, DLP and Plasma a little while ago...it was excellent at the time but I don't know how outdated it is because of the rate at which all this shizzle changes...

I'd go with DLP; plasma has the obvious burn-in factor, and LCD worries me with dead pixels.

The Baron said:
I'd go with DLP; plasma has the obvious burn-in factor, and LCD worries me with dead pixels.
I also noticed a the plasma that my sisters roommate has had the same poor blacks as tft montors do :???:

Back