Phil Harrison's GDC keynote - Home, LittleBigPlanet & more

Doesn't mean they won't sell well or won't have hihg production values... And if we're to count exclusives this year, the PS3 might suffer...

Well i disagree. But that's OT here so we might need another thread :)

Yeah what's AAA is always up for debate. Is it the quality of the game or if it hits a million? Either way I believe the PS3 should have some AAA titles this year too. Like most games it depends on what they score (i.e. the quailty of the finished product).

I can think of 5 AAA titles right off the top of my head for the PS3.

dito.

For this year, yes; at least 'big' exclusives.

I mean what do you define as big? Maybe your taste are a little different than mine/others but I thought the PS3 had a good number of 'big' exclusives. How many do you think is a good number for the rest of the year starting today? 3?

For this year, yes; at least 'big' exclusives.

1) Metal Gear Solid 4
2) Ratchet and Clank Future : Tools of destruction
3) Ninja Gaiden Sigma
4) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
5) SingStar
6) Little Big Planet
7) Lair
8) Heavelny Sword
9) Everybody's Golf 5 (system seller in Japan)
10) Warhawk
11) PS Home
12) Devil May Cry 4
13) Killzone 3
14) Eye of Judgement
15) Wardevil
16) Getaway
17) Eight Days

The 360 has one AAA title this year and that's Halo 3 right?

Bioshock
Forza 2
Mass Effect
Too Human (??)
Blue Dragon
Halo 3
Splinter Cell 5 (Ubisoft Montreal)
Lost Odyssey
Banjo Kazooie (??)
Wolfenstein (??)
PGR4

I'm not gonna say AAA, but it's a good lineup of exclusives.

1) Metal Gear Solid 4
3) Ninja Gaiden Sigma
5) SingStar
6) Little Big Planet
7) Lair
8) Heavelny Sword
10) Warhawk
11) PS Home
12) Devil May Cry 4
13) Killzone 3
14) Eye of Judgement
15) Wardevil
16) Getaway
17) Eight Days

The top 8 are solid, if there's no delays. The rest...questionable.

Isn't DMC4 xplatform?

We knew these are coming for sure before the year is over.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Warhawk
Little Big Planet
Rachet and Clank Future
Devil May Cry 4
Lair

And these seem pretty likely before next year
Heavenly Sword
GTA:HD Prologue
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

And there is small chance these could show up this year
MGS
FFXIII
White Knight Story
Killzone

And then of course there is the stuff we just don't know about yet.

Bioshock
Forza 2
Mass Effect
Too Human (??)
Blue Dragon
Halo 3
Splinter Cell 5 (Ubisoft Montreal)
Lost Odyssey
Banjo Kazooie (??)
Wolfenstein (??)
PGR4

I'm not gonna say AAA, but it's a good lineup of exclusives.

And the PS3 has just as many. Seriously guys this year is the best year in gaming since 2004 and 1998. I think it's going to be better than those two years personally.

Both the 360 and PS3 have some very very strong exclusives titles that look to be superb. I love it that way. :D

PS3 is lacking an exclusive title that could easily sell 5M+ copies, but other than that is seems very solid as long as you're looking for action games.

aselto, I'm sorry but that's rubbish.

Look at the top 20 selling console games on Wikipedia. Just because you might not fancy them to sell 5+ means nothing. Some PS3 exclusives have consitantly sold well.

1) Metal Gear Solid 4
3) Ninja Gaiden Sigma
5) SingStar
6) Little Big Planet
7) Lair
8) Heavelny Sword
10) Warhawk
11) PS Home
12) Devil May Cry 4
13) Killzone 3
14) Eye of Judgement
15) Wardevil
16) Getaway
17) Eight Days

KZ, MGS, Eight days, Getaway, Wardevil probably won't happen this year. We've only seen actual ingame stuff from MGS4 so far and noone's talking about release dates yet.
PS Home isn't a game.
I also doubt Uncharted and Rachet will be completed, just too much work to do and no reason to rush them. I also don't think Insomniac wants another Resistance-level monetary flop, they haven't even sold 500K yet and will go to the bargain bin before PS3 sales pick up...

Warhawk isn't big in any sense, nor Ninja Gaiden; Golf and Eye of Judgement aren't AA titles either.
Don't want me to talk about Lair.

Heavenly Sword should already have more marketing push, it's AAA all the way. DMC4 is looking good too, but it may become multiplatform if PS3 sales remain slow. I don't care about Singstar but I know it's a successful product line. LBP is cool, but I don't think it'll become such a sales phenomenon.

All IMHO of course.

I also doubt Uncharted and Rachet will be completed, just too much work to do and no reason to rush them.

I wasn't aware you were so familiar with both Insomniac AND Naughty Dog's schedules!

You can't really make comments like that, unless you want everyone to suddenly start applying the same logic to big games in every system's lineup where it suits them or their point. Ratchet is officially down now for Fall 2007, and Uncharted is officially down for Winter 2007. Now of course they could slip, but that's true of any game on any platform, so I don't see why you're seeing either of these games at risk, and not others (either on PS3 or other platforms you might prefer).

On Ratchet, Insomniac is apparently very keen to become a "one game per year" studio, alternating between Resistance and Ratchet. So I don't see them shying away from a 2007 release (not that it's their decision - Sony dictates release strategy).

I wasn't aware you were so familiar with both Insomniac AND Naughty Dog's schedules!

I'm only familiar with my own schedule and it hurts, believe me (working on game characters since the beginning of this year). I just don't think they can complete a nextgen game of that caliber within such timeframes.

For what it's worth, I don't see Splinter Cell 5 out this year either.

Back