Phil Harrison's GDC keynote - Home, LittleBigPlanet & more

That's a very flawed assessment/comparison, unless you only expect PS3 to sell 5m consoles in its lifetime.
I was only talking about early on, as part of the third party exclusives comments. Whoever it was said Sony need some 1-2 million sellers to keep thrid parties exclusive. That's not going to happen with 5 million consoles. Not going to happen that often with 10 million consoles either. Obviously in the long run, multi-million sellers will become more commonplace, but by then the appeal of cross-platform will draw away exclusivity. Well, we all know that's going to happen anyway!

So going by that, considering the fact that resistance is an original IP and i'm sure required Insomniac to invest significant dollars in startup for tech and concept development, and considering that DMC4 is a continuation if a long running PS2 franchise which I assume would require a much smaller investment in terms of concept development, planning, and especially tech (where Capcom are leveraging their multi-platform framework engine) then why would they ever need to go multiplat with DMC4 when a game like resistance can comfortably survive on the PS3's current install base?
You're looking at it backwards. Capcom is asking how they can make the most money. If they stick to any one platform, they'd stick to the X360 since it has the far larger install base (you know, like with Dead Rising and Lost Planet) and doesn't have a competing game in the genre (yet). And DMC4 is based on a multiplatform engine, so the work required to port would be very small. Too, Capcom has been quite favorable to the X360.

The only way for Capcom to make the most money with a PS3-exclusive DMC4 is if Sony pays heavily for it. I don't see that happening. They didn't do it for VF5, VT3, GTA4, Assassin's Creed or others. What would set DMC4 apart from those games? The system is already getting two excellent action games in Ninja Gaiden and Heavenly Sword. There's no reason for Sony to pay for exclusivity for another such title.

It really, really makes the most sense for DMC4 to go multiplatform. Even a moderate sales success on the X360 would bring profit.

No, but you still had to pay for previous GT Prologues and it wasn't a low price (at least in my country).
Where is your country?

I have done a little research and have discovered GT games are more popular in Europe (GT 4 especially) than anywhere else (despite constantly getting the shaft on release dates :rolleyes: )

Maybe that is why some people cannot believe it's a massive franchise.

Where is your country?

I have done a little research and have discovered GT games are more popular in Europe (GT 4 especially) than anywhere else (despite constantly getting the shaft on release dates :rolleyes: )

Maybe that is why some people cannot believe it's a massive franchise.
Well, my country is in Europe. :p Gran Turismo is certainly very popular over here. BUT full Gran Turismo is not released this Fall but next year and these Gran Turismo Prologues are only bought by the most hardcore fans of GT series.

As of multiplatform Capcom games, any recent rumors on Dead Rising and Lost Planet going multiplatform?

And they won't be released in 2005. We're talking about this year releases.;)
You were talking about this year?

Why didn't you say so :rolleyes:;)

While I still think you are wrong, there will be a game or two released this year that sells more than 5 million copies during the PS3s lifetime, it's not inconceivable.

But this still doesn't take away from the inaccuracy of his DMC comment considering the fact that the PS3 still hasn't been released in an entire (PAL) territory yet and by the time DMC4 hits gold the PS3 landscape will look very different..
Well, if the PS3 landscape looks very different, then all arguments are moot, right? The argument is stated given the information available, which is the poor showing JPN and NA. Obviously, if Europe becomes massive for Sony then their install base is increased, which makes it easier for keeping exclusives. If they do mediocre or poor in Europe, as in the other big 2 territories, then it will be harder for them to maintain their exclusives.

Which is kinda what the point is...

You were talking about this year?

Why didn't you say so :rolleyes:;)

While I still think you are wrong, there will be a game or two released this year that sells more than 5 million copies during the PS3s lifetime, it's not inconceivable.
That's a bold statement. Has there ever been a title that has sold more than 5 million copies and was released 1 year after console launch? Super Mario 64 maybe?

So while not impossible, it's also not probable.

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong. GTA 3 came out exactly a year after the Playstation 2 launch in NA. So, not improbable at all :)

How many times in the first year of a consoles release was a Metal gear Solid game released?
I don't know but I also don't know that I'd ride my hopes on a series that appears to be declining in popularity. From what numbers I can gather, each entry in the series has done worse than the one before it.

I do not like MGS at all, it is still a major franichise though. The buzz when it was first shown will see it past 5 million sales quite easily.

But this still doesn't take away from the inaccuracy of his DMC comment considering the fact that the PS3 still hasn't been released in an entire (PAL) territory yet and by the time DMC4 hits gold the PS3 landscape will look very different..

I just don't think that PS3 will suddenly sell as much units in Europe as you do, as it seems. Hitting 5-6 million by September would probably require a price cut. It's simple business from this point - you can more then double your sales by going multiplatform.

And Resistance is at what, 430K by now? The title had the potential to sell about 1.5-2 million units at least, had Sony managed to sell 6 million PS3s by now. It's not Insomniac's fault, but they probably haven't even managed to break even yet... And in my opinion it's already sinking out of people's minds, just as PDZ, Kameo, COD 2 and the rest did. Even if PS3 sales pick up in the holiday season, Resistane won't become a favorite without the promotion that's so important for sales. Unless Sony starts to bundle it, the sales will slowly die off.

That's a bold statement. Has there ever been a title that has sold more than 5 million copies and was released 1 year after console launch? Super Mario 64 maybe?
wii sports has already sold over 5 million, 1 year pah! try less than 6 months

I personally don't think Europe will be a savior. I see high initial sales, and then a rapid dropoff once most of the people willing to spend 425 pounds have it.

Yeah, demand in both the US and Japan has been crazy initially, with people lining up and shooting each other and so on. And yet, somehow it just disappeared within a month. If you'd only see reports on those first day line-ups, and no sales data, you'd probably think that the PS3 owns the market by now.

So t's kinda bad that we won't have enough data about the EU sales to properly judge the PS3's success, or the lack of it. Maybe software charts will help a bit... but there won't be any statistics, so I expect a lot of debates on the subject.

Back