Phil Harrison's GDC keynote - Home, LittleBigPlanet & more

I'm in my mid 30s, and LBP is a system seller for me. I love co-op games, love physics puzzles, and this game just brings back memories of Racing Destruction Set in the 8-bit era on my C64. My friends and I pulled so many all-nighters making tracks, racing against each other, or just playing together non-destructively, like in 'big air' competitions on moon-gravity levels with big ramps.

When I saw the LBP trailer, they "had me at hello". I can't describe the feeling the game trailer gave me watching it other than to say, the game made me feel like a kid again.

That's fine, and I was really enamoured with the trailer as well.

But are you guys honestly trying to argue that this game will have as much impact as the next FF, MGS, Halo or Grand Theft Auto, to your average male consumer??

Come on, lets come back down to earth here.

That's fine, and I was really enamoured with the trailer as well.

But are you guys honestly trying to argue that this game will have as much impact as the next FF, MGS, Halo or Grand Theft Auto, to your average male consumer??

Come on, lets come back down to earth here.

Nintendog says hello.

I don't want to argue about impact next to FF and what not (because no one really knows).

Just want to point out that the "average male consumer" may have girl friend(s), wife, sisters, younger brothers or kids. Depending on household, they can all influence buying decisions. LBP is a group/party game. Some hardcore gamers will like LBP too.

The console manufacturers are reaching out to more people this gen. The game (so far !) looks fun, the gaming concept is cool and the characters look cute. Might have a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to see if the functions on your virtual PSP can also be handled by your real PSP. Not that this would necessarily be useful, because you would need both that and the sixaxis I suppose, but it could be fun.

I don't want to argue about impact next to FF and what not (because no one really knows).

Just want to point out that the "average male consumer" may have girl friend(s), wife, sisters, younger brothers or kids. Depending on household, they can all influence buying decisions. LBP is a group/party game. Some hardcore gamers will like LBP too.

The console manufacturers are reaching out to more people this gen. The game (so far !) looks fun, the gaming concept is cool and the characters look cute. Might have a shot.

I agree the manufacturers are attempting to reach a broader base this gen (some more than others). But to reach these people the entry fee cannot be a roadblock. If I told you a restaurant I went to was great and you should try it even though it wasn't your type of food you may do so based on my reccomendation if it is in your price range. If it is expensive as well as foreign you will be a lot less likely to dig in.

I know this isn't a price or marketing thread but I think this point needs to be made when bringing up success of other "out of the box" games and the success they have brought to their platforms.

I think Scooby hit the nail on the head when he brought up the demographic for expensive consoles. Some idea's are accepted by the "expensive console gamer demographic" and some aren't. I can't see pitching these to any of my casual gamer or nongamer buddies and seeing a positive reply.

Patsu, you bring up a good point about GF and family and whatnot and this is true. However these types of experiences (Home, LBP) are typically added after the fact, not the types that get the consumer to pony up the cash in the first place.

I hope I didn't stray outside of the topic at hand and if I did, someone please smack me and I'll edit my post. :smile:

I agree the manufacturers are attempting to reach a broader base this gen (some more than others). But to reach these people the entry fee cannot be a roadblock. If I told you a restaurant I went to was great and you should try it even though it wasn't your type of food you may do so based on my reccomendation if it is in your price range. If it is expensive as well as foreign you will be a lot less likely to dig in.

Certainly. All it means is that they are still looking at a broader base (not just hardcore gamers) who see the value and can afford the PS3 price initially. As price drops, more will come. Conversely, if they set the price low, they will be sold out even quicker (with this larger base -- see Nintendo), but there may not be enough games to appeal to the broader base to make the money back at the moment... until more games are released. It's just different company strategy.

I know this isn't a price or marketing thread but I think this point needs to be made when bringing up success of other "out of the box" games and the success they have brought to their platforms.

I think Scooby hit the nail on the head when he brought up the demographic for expensive consoles. Some idea's are accepted by the "expensive console gamer demographic" and some don't. I can't see pitching these to any of my casual gamer or nongamer buddies and seeing a positive reply.

Sure... somebody will get left out. As the PS3 library builds up... the utility will be shared by multiple people in the family, and the perceived value may increase. As a consumer, we will always want cheaper (but still good quality) products. From the seller perspective, they have to find some way to manage the demand via pricing.

Patsu, you bring up a good point about GF and family and whatnot and this is true. However these types of experiences (Home, LBP) are typically added after the fact, not the types that get the consumer to pony up the cash in the first place.

Again, speak only for yourself. I have seen posts that say they bought/will buy a PS3 because of LBP. The draw of Home isn't clear today since they only demo'ed the technology. Its impact can be felt/judged later.

Again, speak only for yourself. I have seen posts that say they bought/will buy a PS3 because of LBP. The draw of Home isn't clear today since they only demo'ed the technology. Its impact can be felt/judged later.

You're right. LBP may prove to be the system seller they were waiting for and I could be way off base. Time will tell.

IMO - it will not be. However this does not mean that I think it will not sell well. I think many ps3 owners will buy it, but I don't see this being the title that gets ps3's off the shelf at it's current price.

chalk up another guy in his mid 30s, i dont really play games, ive never once played FF or MGS, i have played halo on the PC ( which i agree was way overrated), i also played GTA3 on PC, the actual missions were a yawnfest, but just getting in a car + trying to leap buildings, or take out as many cops as possible was a laugh + much more enjoyable than the game itself.
some ppl have no idea, what makes a killer app, they believe the world revolves are FPSs eg killzone2 for some ppl this is true but look at the two biggest games on the pc, WOW + the sims or singstar or guitar hero + as some one said Nintendog or brainage, all killer apps. HOME has the potentual to be bigger than any of them, $100 within a year of its release their will be more more online hours clocked up in it than any other console game to date (including halo etc). LBP looks like another killer app (though less so than HOME)

chalk up another guy in his mid 30s, i dont really play games, ive never once played FF or MGS, i have played halo on the PC ( which i agree was way overrated),

Well I guess that's that then!

We have a handful of people in their 30's that like LBP, therefore we've proven that a sidescrolling games about little dolls running through a carboard cutout town will have the same mass appeal as a mature AAA franchise. :rolleyes:

If the PS3 was sub $199 then I could see this game moving systems, at $499 I just don't see it at all.

Anyways, we'll see when it's actually released. IMO, people starved for some positive news are over reacting to a cool concept.

MO, people starved for some positive news are over reacting to a cool concept.
Yes, that's how these reactions usually are.
One could even say the timing of unveiling these things is orchestrated so that the positive reaction is maximised.
I wouldn't call this "overreacting" though, just normal positive buzz around unexpected announcements. Not overreacting at least when compared to any news of a new game, be it on any console...

But I agree, had LBP not been announced at GDC, or had there been several other big game announcements there, I think there would not be as much talk about it as there is now.
I don't see it other than just a very nice little game and a level designer, but then again I haven't read much about it.
Maybe it's more, maybe it'll be what people make it to be. Maybe if the game generates enough positive reaction and hype and word of mouth, it'll be the biggest game and phenomenom ever, even if it in reality is much less than what the hype has made it.
But face it, "overreacting" has made so many mediocre games reach god like statuses. If enough people overreact and believe in their own reactions to be real... then the game does indeed is god-like.

But as it is, with just Home and LBP, people's imaginations have started running. Maybe they're running wildly in wrong drections, maybe not... but at least they are running, and that's not the same as "overreacting".
Word "Overreacting" has such a downplaying tone to it.

Well I guess that's that then!

We have a handful of people in their 30's that like LBP, therefore we've proven that a sidescrolling games about little dolls running through a carboard cutout town will have the same mass appeal as a mature AAA franchise. :rolleyes:
I could understand this POV if LBP was the only announced title for PS3. However, it comes with a broad range of diverse titles. For all the other sorts of games, there's plenty of titles, notably from third parties. If you're only looking to get a PS3 for triple-A shooters and racers, it's never going to make much sense from an economic POV. PS3 has always been about the 'whole package'. Triple-A shooters and family-fun and HD movie playback and network 'stuff' and web-browsing and so forth. LBP and Home are more strings to the bow for those who are after more than one big, fat AAA-shooter bowstring.

Just want to point out that the "average male consumer" may have girl friend(s), wife, sisters, younger brothers or kids. Depending on household, they can all influence buying decisions. LBP is a group/party game. Some hardcore gamers will like LBP too..

yep Xbox Live Arcade has proven this to be true already. the variety of all of those side scrollers and party games has really won over the wives/gf's in my experience (I find from speaking with friends on Live).

Is see LBP being one of the games to do the same for PS3 and more for those that will actually experiment with the building blocks.

It's not a system seller by any means at $499-$599 IMO but it definitely will have its place among the library.

Right... besides simplicity, LBP has adorable characters in a "tight" co-op and competitive gaming dynamics. The way Sony markets it... using players to create levels and then publish it on Blu-ray, will also help to generate the buzz and pull factors. There can be complementary marketing programs to drive LBP + PS3. Why can't people just wait ?

Who's dying for good news (or bad news) ? The game is still in its infancy and (as usual) B3D critics are already trying to judge it :)

By the time it's released, there will be more reasons to own a PS3. LBP may (or may not) be the one for many to seal the deal.

Anyways, we'll see when it's actually released. IMO, people starved for some positive news are over reacting to a cool concept.

Nonsense. The press has, or had been very eager to jump on any negative news w.r.t. Sony, or to spin Sony-related news negatively, so the reception LBP has gotten only rings even more true.

I've just got done reading Edge's preview of LittleBigPlanet from a pre-GDC hands-on (they weren't even given the name of the game), and it's the most enthusiastic preview I've read from Edge in a long long time. They basically hail it as the second coming, almost - I'll transcribe some bits, and the odd bit of new info, in the LBP thread later.

edit - and I'd have to disagree with Rabid - I'm pretty sure LBP would have stood out in any context given the same demonstration as was given at GDC. It was up against a very big announcement in Home, but it still managed to out-buzz it IMO.

I could understand this POV if LBP was the only announced title for PS3. However, it comes with a broad range of diverse titles. For all the other sorts of games, there's plenty of titles, notably from third parties. If you're only looking to get a PS3 for triple-A shooters and racers, it's never going to make much sense from an economic POV. PS3 has always been about the 'whole package'. Triple-A shooters and family-fun and HD movie playback and network 'stuff' and web-browsing and so forth. LBP and Home are more strings to the bow for those who are after more than one big, fat AAA-shooter bowstring.

I could understand your point if Playstation had a strong exclusive 2007 lineup, or at least some AAA launch titles, but it has neither. It's still definately in need of some quality blockbuster titles.

Anyways, like I said initially, I think the positive media buzz they are recieving is probably as beneficial as any buzz created from a AAA game, so I don't agree with Chef that Sony 'needed' to show something at GDC. LPB worked to do what they really needed, and that was get the press back on their side.

I'm just disagreeing with the people saying LPB is a system selling, AAA title. I think it's potential impact is being greatly exagerated.

Nonsense. The press has, or had been very eager to jump on any negative news w.r.t. Sony, or to spin Sony-related news negatively, so the reception LBP has gotten only rings even more true.

It's my opinion, you can't prove or disprove it either way. But since you so kindly asked, I was more referring to statements on the forums rather than the media reaction which I have no problem with. It's been fairly tempered, and LPB and Home are the big news coming out of GDC so it's natural.

I could understand your point if Playstation had a strong exclusive 2007 lineup, or at least some AAA launch titles, but it has neither.

Very debatable indeed. There's some dozen+ first party titles on the way for the rest of the year - most high profile or from studios of excellent pedigree - with perhaps many more if we're lucky, not to mention third party stuff, exclusive and non-exclusive. But then its clear various opinions here are at odds with each other, so it might be best to agree to disagree.

It's my opinion, you can't prove or disprove it either way. But since you so kindly asked, I was more referring to statements on the forums rather than the media reaction which I have no problem with. It's been fairly tempered, and LPB and Home are the big news coming out of GDC so it's natural.

I think the reception from the press and the rest of the industry suggests those forum-goers who are buzzing so strongly over LBP aren't mad or out-of-touch, that's why I brought up that point ;) I've seen many people on forums who ordinarily wouldn't be warm to Sony similarly buzzing over it. So whilst I can't disprove an opinion, I can strongly disagree. To highlight a specific case, I don't see Edge magazine being desperate for positive PS3 news, yet their latest issue is more enthusiastic about LBP than any forum post I've seen yet.

Very debatable indeed. There's some dozen+ first party titles on the way for the rest of the year - most high profile or from studios of excellent pedigree - with perhaps many more if we're lucky, not to mention third party stuff, exclusive and non-exclusive. But then its clear various opinions here are at odds with each other, so it might be best to agree to disagree.

A dozen 1st party titles? Maybe I am mistaken then, which games are you referring to?

that is very optimistic IMO

Not too optimistic, I don't think. If I count the PSN releases of LittleBigPlanet and GT5:prologue I can make 12 probable releases pretty easily. If certain other titles pop up in due course we could have more. The problem at the moment is clearer visibility on when more specifically certain titles will hit, but I think it's reasonable to make a list of a dozen that are likely candidates for 07. I could paste in a list here, but I don't want to take the thread OT.

edit - well, two of you are asking, so here you go..

Lair
Heavenly Sword
Singstar
MLB: The Show
Eye of Judgement
Warhawk
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Killzone 2
Hot Shots Golf 5

These games seem like pretty likely candidates for 07 + the two mentioned above. Others are quite possible also, like the new eyetoy, a soccer game from SCEE, a NHL game from SCEA, and maybe if we're really lucky stuff like Eight Days or ... Wipeout. That list technically only includes one title from SCEJ, and I'm sure they will have more than that in the ENTIRE year. And if more do appear, they'll either add to the numbers or fill in if any of the above slip. But since we haven't seen those games surface yet to any great degree I'll leave them as possibilities rather than probabilities.

Anyway, like I said, I don't want to drag this OT.

Back